Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APPLIED MATHS-the review

Options
  • 23-06-2006 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

So what did you think of it. I thought it was definately harder than previous years!!:mad: They threw up some weird questions!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I thought it was alright, some tricky bits but some very easy parts as well. I ended up doing:

Q1: Both (a) and (b) were grand, although my final answer was very decimaly compared to the others.
    Q3: The (a) part with the right-angle thing threw me a bit, but I got down to a pretty terrible answer in the final moments. (b) was a joke.
    Q4: One bit of the wedge didn't work out, I got cosα instead of cosα^2, but I got the rest.
    Q5: Part (a) grand, (b)(i) worked out, but my figures didn't give me the correct answer to (ii), so I think I was wrong. Probably my worst question.
    Q7: Lovely, I was amazed when α worked out to be 2λ.
    Q10: (a) was fine, the last part of (b) was a bit of a shambles but I made a decent attempt.

Overall, I'm very happy. I was hoping for an A1 but not really expecting it, but I reckon I've given myself a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

bitch of an exam...Q4, Q3(b) and Q7 were simple, the rest were difficult...might manage a B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

JoseJones wrote:
    bitch of an exam...Q4, Q3(b) and Q7 were simple, the rest were difficult...might manage a B.

Q1 (a) was fairly good (b) was a bit odd (iii) was a doddle
    Q2 (a) put me off a bit but got it in the end
    (b) just as well I had learned a similiar question!!!
    Q3 (a) (ii)&(iii) were completely odd
    (b) this is simple
    Q4 Really Easy
    Q5 didn't do - (b) looked like the "hard" one
    Q6 (a) was fine (b) ok but I had no max/min value??
    Q9 didn't do - (b) looked a bit strange
    Q10 I felt that this was unbelieveably easy compared to last year!
    Overall MUCH better than last year hopin for B1/A2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shark-69

I really needed an A1 in dat.....ah well suppose ill b reapeatin next year.....I knew it was gonna be tough but i just didnt get enough revision done before the exam......
    --I started off on Q4...looked like a gem and it probably was for many students but i ****ed up part (a)...Part b at first appeared just like a typical wedge q until i managed to **** dat up aswell....couldnt seem to simplify b(ii) and got alpha = 29.75 which is more than likely wrong considerin i ****ed up part (ii)
    --Did q 10 in less than 10 mins...prob made a stupid mistake in it considerin it usually takes me bout 20
    --Q3 (a) put me off initially...cud only get 1 time....B was far too easy so itll prob be 10 marks or so....hope its 20 or 25 tho
    --Q2...part (b)...WTF.....usually my very best q was prob my worst 2day...unless of course my outlandish attempts to find alpha are valid...I got alpha = 67.38.....
    --Q5 went ok ...
    --Q1...d=3ftsquared/8..........made a balls of b

That was way harder than the mocks....I got 90% in the mocks nd looks like im down to more like 70%........aggggggghhhhhhhhh.....****in ****ehawks......:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Definetely harder than previous years
    Q1: Most of it was ok if complicated, didn't get the time it takes them to pass eachother
    Q2: Alright
    Q4: Alright
    Q5: Not so good didn't finish either bit completely
    Q7: Part a was ok assuming the reaction at the hinge went horizontally right. My answer for part b was complicated, inverse tan of something over tan lambda plus something else.
    Q10: alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

I am actually happier with it than I thought I'd be! I'd like a B3, I'd LOVE a B2. That said, however, there were a few bad bits!! Couldn't get q2 (b) AT ALL. For q10 (b), did anyone else get root7/4 for part (i), and for part (ii) did anyone get root 3? Oh yeah and for q1 (b) (ii) was the answer t=6? Please say yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

(b) (ii) was the answer t=6? Please say yes!

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

my last sub.....i should be really hapy tat the leaving is ended......but this paper.....................................................:(

Advertisement