Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

need some info

Options
  • 23-06-2006 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi all

need some info, i was driving along a main rd, when a car from a side road drove out infront of me and i hit him in the side, i was in the yellow box, have i the right of way, plus he tried to tell me i was speeding at the time, at 3pm on the dublin rd on friday afternoon in galway city, i dont think so

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well the driver on the side road has to give way to traffic on the main road, was the yellow box at a junction?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I know a guy who pulled out from a side road before and was hit in the side. The blame ended up with him. While you are on the main road you have right of way over people coming off of sideroads.

The only thing I could think of that would cause the blame to fall on you is if the area just in front of the yellow box was full and the guy was coming out of the side road and turning right. In which case you shouldn't have entered the yellow box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Was the path in front of you clear, or was the traffic backed up to the edge of the yellow box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 had a tip

backed up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

had a tip wrote:
    backed up
    pwned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm no legal expert but if this went to court I think that blame would be shared in a case like this, I'd doubt it would be 50 - 50 though. You for blocking a clear way junction and the other guy for not giving right of way to traffic on the main road.

I could be totally wrong here so my only real useful advice would be to seek legal council from a solicitor if there is a dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    I'm no legal expert but if this went to court I think that blame would be shared in a case like this, I'd doubt it would be 50 - 50 though. You for blocking a clear way junction and the other guy for not giving right of way to traffic on the main road.

I don't think blocking the clearway could seen to have attributed to having caused the accident. Although it is a road traffic offence to be there, it possibly isn't negligent. Often people involved in accidents are found to be negligent due to not wearing a seatbelt, but the damages tend to be reduced only by about 10-30%
    bazz26 wrote:
    ...only real useful advice would be to seek legal council from a solicitor if there is a dispute.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

bazz26 wrote:

I could be totally wrong here so my only real useful advice would be to seek legal council from a solicitor if there is a dispute.

Most likely imho. You shouldnt have entered the box and should have been planning on stopping before entering the box as the traffic ahead was backed up, however my opinion would be that the other driver is most at fault, as he should have waited untill he was sure it was safe to pull out, and have given way to any traffic on the road. It sounds like he just saw the stationary traffic and pulled out without looking the other way. He was, afterall, still joining a different road, the traffic on which he is supposed to give way to. I certainly never trust people to stop before yellow boxes, and always wait until they're stationary before moving out. The amount of people out there who aparrantly can't see them in shocking.

Advertisement