Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful decision regarding ban of member

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

chump wrote:
    Also if people were to read the discussion under scutiny here you'll find that people also agreed with me
    How can people agree that you have used the withdrawal method and it has worked 100% for you chump?

Your troll mask is slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Do unreggied posts not carry the IP address, that can be compared against users online at the time?

An IP address match isn't conclusive by any means. Also Mupchk only let's you see what posts match IP, it doesn't let you see the IP itself so you can't tell if the IP is a static IP or a dialup IP.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

chump wrote:
    I think it is laudable that the mods stick together and remain a united front against the terror of expressing personal choice in an open ended discussion.

I'm glad to hear that.
    I obviously share this view and find it hypocritical that I get banned for expressing honest opinion when numerous others contribuate throwawayable comments day in day out that get overlooked.

I don't keep a close eye on the PI forum so I can't comment on that, but it doesn't matter since your behaviour is the only relevant thing to your banning.
    I'm quite content with the mods not liking my input, but 'not liking' does not equal bannage.

I'm quite content with the mods not tolerating someone stating that the withdrawal method is 100% effective.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Gordon wrote:
    How can people agree that you have used the withdrawal method and it has worked 100% for you chump?

Maybe chump has a number of people able to testify that he is a virgin, and therefore the withdrawal method has been 100% successful. emot-v.gif

Stark wrote:
    An IP address match isn't conclusive by any means. Also Mupchk only let's you see what posts match IP, it doesn't let you see the IP itself so you can't tell if the IP is a static IP or a dialup IP.

It also doesn't match IPs across forums for the specific reason that users expect to have a certain degree of anonymity when they post on forums like PI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Gordon wrote:

Sorry, I meant they agreed that a user should be allowd express themselves and showed surprise at the unwarranted ban.

Anyway I've said my bit here, there's nothing else for me to say.
    One point, why don't mods delete posts or move them to the recycle bin.

Long live the Régime.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

CuLt wrote:
    Maybe chump has a number of people able to testify that he is a virgin, and therefore the withdrawal method has been 100% successful.

Abstinence ftw!

Or maybe not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ecksor wrote:
    It also doesn't match IPs across forums for the specific reason that users expect to have a certain degree of anonymity when they post on forums like PI.
    Ah, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

chump wrote:
    Long live the Régime.

smiliepacman.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I just wonder what'd have happened if chump had said the withdrawal method had been 99% effective in his experience. Or how bout 98%? Is that statement tolerable?

Well, he was probably trolling anyway, so I guess the ban is entirely warranted.

• Advertisement

I just wonder what'd have happened if chump had said the withdrawal method had been 99% effective in his experience. Or how bout 98%? Is that statement tolerable?

Well, he was probably trolling anyway, so I guess the ban is entirely warranted.
    Then he's either had a fraction of a child or else bedded 100 women with one pregnancy. Either way, it just serves to highlight that it's ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh god. my eyes are bleeding from stupidity....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

chump wrote:

Time and the fact that leaving them sets a clear example of what is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

oh god. my eyes are bleeding from stupidity....

I cant help but smile when I read stuff like this^^. Well before me and wife got married sometimes on occassion the withdrawl method was used and I'm happy to say my wife and I are happy with our 12 kids.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

CuLT wrote:
    Then he's either had a fraction of a child or else bedded 100 women with one pregnancy. Either way, it just serves to highlight that it's ineffective.
    But wasn't the problem with his post supposed to have been that it was misleading in that it claimed withdrawal was effective? I mean, nothing is really 100% effective (excepting abstinence, maybe)!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Another blow against the forces of stupidity. Moderator team ROLL OUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I have seen alot worse unhelpful posts or comments on the PI forum with the culprit recieving a warning from the mods (Theadydal has done this on many occasions). Even though I can see both sides of the argument as to why the ban was just or wasn't warranted, my concern would be that there's inconsistency in the moderating of the forum. That's no criticism of the moderating of the PI forum which I think is generally excellent but I see worse troll/spam/unhelpful posts all the time on that forum and I do feel Chump has been a little hard done by.

Don't read PI.

This should solve most issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'll have my final comment on this

As said by a mod in this discussion

Boards is not a Democracy and you do not have freedom of speech on
    the board.

I thought living in the 2000's using a Irish based website that i could
    expect to have freedom of speech and democracy but as i have
    been told otherwise this is not the case.

Long live Boards hail our leader.

Hail the Mods

All hail...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It can be very hard to crack down on all of them and really those that clear breach the charter people get banned and esp those that are dangerous.

Zane from MTV2 do your part to help out use the report post function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

If it ws up to me I would kick Chump in the nuts repeatedly, until he couldn't fertilise another egg in his tardiness to withdraw.

So thank your tender testes Im not a PI Mod people

Why would you think that? For one thing, Irish law makes it completely impractical to just let people say what they want but also it would be a pretty crap set of forums if they weren't moderated which is often going to conflict with people's ideas of what is or isn't freedom of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I think it was a bit harsh. It was an open question asking people what they think. I do believe he wasn't being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hail the Mods
    No thanks. Go hail the admins. After all you are posting on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

A couple of things. Firstly, chump is a valued poster on the Horse Racing Forum and has never been any trouble..he's got a sense of humour that the HR forum needs.

On the face of it the ban is probably unfair but the PI forum is a sensitive one and the mods are being consistant, and doing a good job to protect other users.

Also, this belief that the mods all stick up for each other etc is something that I once believed...until I got access to the mod forum and saw that most of them actually hate each other and are constantly abusing each other. :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It never cesses to amaze me that the people who go out of their way and in a very real way put their asses on the line to provide what speech there is here, get this thrown at them.

God help you if you ever had to post on a forum that protected itself entirely from Irish Law and spurious law threats. I spent two days this week fighting off a rather unpleasant threat not because they thought what had been said was illegal but because they were "not happy about the criticisms of their company" on our site. (See the legal discussion forum)

Imagine how it feels to read that afterwards.

You know what, Chump was taking the piss, we all know that. He got slapped and isnt contesting that he was REALLY offering that advice. He's complaining that there is no rule by which we measure things. Yes it leads to inconsistencies but I believe its a better-fit to justice then cold hard rules.

You WERENT being serious, we all agree that. You WERE being smart arsed. You got smacked correctly.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

nonetheless you were rolling your eyes at my case which if it was
    presented to a non partizan jury who just had to look at the facts
    would find that your banning the the member was wrong.:)

The member was making unhelpful, sarcastic posts on a forum where such things are verboten. Calm down. Nothing to see here.
    chump wrote:
    Were my chosen method of contraception as uneffective as people may believe, it is possible that a child born of my fruit would be under my care as we speak.
    Were that child to ask me 'Is there any justice in the world, Daddy?' - how should I reply?

'child born of my fruit' is getting added to the wacky quotes list. This 'method of contraception' is known to be ineffective; if you have used it repeatedly and not conceived, you're either very lucky or sterile.
    chump wrote:
    Well a quick search on google delivers:
    http://gynob.emory.edu/familyplanning/withdrawel.cfm
    Listed under 'natural methods'.

I avoid taking medical advice from people who can't spell 'withdrawal'.
    chump wrote:
    Anyway I've said my bit here, there's nothing else for me to say.

Well, you see, now maybe you'll think twice before making bloody stupid comments in a forum for giving advice on personal issues.

Freedom of speech on these things doesn't work; too many stupid people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

DeVore wrote:
    I

Imagine how it feels to read that afterwards.

You know what, Chump was taking the piss, we all know that. He got slapped and isnt contesting that he was REALLY offering that advice. He's complaining that there is no rule by which we measure things. Yes it leads to inconsistencies but I believe its a better-fit to justice then cold hard rules.

You WERENT being serious, we all agree that. You WERE being smart arsed. You got smacked correctly.

DeV.

:D

Thats Dev. I must say I respect everything you've produced here and thankfully I've been here from year naught to experience the positive impact you've made upon irish internet usuage. Let's remember that good spirits and decency should be the foundation of a repectable internet communication.

While I may historically be remembered as a nuisance around these parts, I think it should be what I say and do that result in how I'm treated. And those who maltreated me will attest to their slanted view upon my opinion and that is what I proclaim as mistreatment.

And while what I say may be difficult to understand, it is because it is. It makes little sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Don't worry, you won't be remembered. You're just the latest in a long line of muppets who think that they are more important than the forums they frequent.

There's nothing hard to understand here. You got banned for a good reason - you repeatedly disrupted a forum which a lot of people value. You have not been maltreated because you have received the standard treatment any user who posted what you did would receive.

If you don't like it, get out of boards.ie or shut the hell up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

chump wrote:
    :D

Thats Dev. I must say I respect everything you've produced here and thankfully I've been here from year naught to experience the positive impact you've made upon irish internet usuage. Let's remember that good spirits and decency should be the foundation of a repectable internet communication.

While I may historically be remembered as a nuisance around these parts, I think it should be what I say and do that result in how I'm treated. And those who maltreated me will attest to their slanted view upon my opinion and that is what I proclaim as mistreatment.

And while what I say may be difficult to understand, it is because it is. It makes little sense.
    Do you fight for Oceania or Eurasia?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement