Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should be done with The Docks

Options
  • 23-06-2006 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

What do people think,

I remember seeing an article about the Parkes redeveloping it to compete with Belfast Waterfront, Citywest and the INEC in Killarney (or did I imagine this)..

I think it would be great for Limerick to have something like this in the city centre (practically).

If we had a conference centre to seat 20,000 people we'd draw international delegations, European conferences, Ardfheiseanna, AGMs of Multi Nationals and possibly even give a platform to groups like U2 if it was developed with the capacity to remove the seating for standing room. It's not an overly resedential area which has hampered these possibilities in the Gaelic Grounds and Thomond Park.

Personally I'd love to see a conference centre along the lines of 50,000 seats to wipe Citywest the INEC and Waterfront off the Map and make Limerick stand out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'd love the equivalent of Dublin or London in Limerick with a concert venue so that Limerick could hold stuff like Pop Concerts and things like Disney On Ice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Ports 'lack capacity for growth'

Chronic underinvestment will leave Irish ports unable to cope with the rapid expansion in trade, according to a study published by business lobby Ibec yesterday. Marc Coleman, Economics Editor, reports.

Ibec transport policy director Reg McCabe said inaccurate Government forecasts for growth in freight trade had led to underinvestment in ports.

The Ibec report, Can Containers Deliver, argues that growth in the Republic's load-on load-off (lo-lo) trade - which requires container terminal facilities - expanded by 23.5 per cent between 2001 and 2004, compared with 14.5 per cent for roll-on roll-off trade. The report says trade will continue to grow rapidly, citing forecasts by the UK department of trade and industry that the Republic's trade will grow by 110 per cent, faster than any other part of the world, between 2004 and 2015.

Progress on expanding port facilities has to date been inadequate, Mr McCabe said.

"It is not acceptable for Government to adopt a policy of benign neglect with regard to ports investment," he said. "We are an island economy, where prosperity is almost totally linked with the expansion in trade. Continued prevarication will damage trade and give competing economies the advantage."

He contrasted the Government's approach on the issue with that of the Dutch. "Rotterdam's port will expand by 2,000 hectares by 2012. In contrast in Dublin Port we are still trying to get agreement for a 20-hectare expansion. We are rapidly reaching a point where we need to act," Mr McCabe said.

The report states that the Republic provides only three hectares per billion euro in gross domestic product, compared with over 10 hectares in the Netherlands. "Container handling capacity is the pressing area of underprovision in the Republic."

Unlike the Republic, the freight industry in the UK and the Netherlands could look forward to at least a 100 per cent capacity expansion over the next five years, the report suggests.

"Ibec is calling on the Government to immediately suspend the 'analysis paralysis' of endless strategy reports, consultations and ports policy statements. Much of this activity is simply duplicating what has gone before," Mr McCabe said.

He warned the economy would face serious consequences unless investment accelerated. "Capacity shortfalls have the potential to seriously weaken manufacturing, the most trade- dependent sector of industry. Decades of sustained effort to promote industrial development could be undermined."

© The Irish Times

Is the port authority not looking ahead at the future potential of the port? Would it not be possible to use some of the port for retail/office/housing and using the money generated from that to develop Limerick port? Mabey provide a water transport service to shannon airport and UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I know that there's a lot of land not being used down there at the moment, but I'm against the complete rezoning of the docks.
    There have been docks in Limerick for over a thousand years!
    Even before the Danes came here!
    Limerick has spent a hundred years turning it's back on it's heritage. It's about time we stopped and did something about it!

The Limerick docks is dead! All the main ships go to Foynes! When i used to go down to the docks a few years ago there would be at least 5 boats there at a time. Now, you would be lucky to get more than two boats there in a day! They've developed the Steamboat Quay area and they put one of the best hotels in Limerick there but if u stay on the right side of the hotel you see the the city from your window looking towards King John's Castle however if ur on the left hand side your looking into a dirty scrap yard and a dry docks. It needs doing up if not a whole redevelopment!

OH MY ****!!! (sorry about the language) You have to check out the Limerick Leader this week, there's the plans for the new dockland, in my opinion this development MUST go ahead, its fantastic, said to create 1000 jobs. It even includes a new Multistory bulding, far more impressive and taller than Riverpoint and The Clarion Hotel. There's also more articles on the Quality Hotel, Punches Hotel and the hotel on Sir Harry's Mall. They also show what the Limerick Port want to do with the Docks and its basically the same. They need to sell it now because nobody cares about ships and maritime industry anymore in Limerick. This could be Limericks IFSC or Canary Wharf. Anyone else got an opinion?

dockshotpreviewD.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is the big thing on the right a fountain of a building.

I want Ireland's biggest conference centre!!!! I WANT I WANT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Fcuk me sideways, i hope this goes ahead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Fcuk me sideways, i hope this goes ahead :D

Convienent time to leak the plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Sweet lord... That is awesome!!!! Limerick even get's it right third time around with another skysraper... Heck, It's even classier than the other two. The rest of the buildings looks like a total failure IMO. I'm afraid they are going to do the Dublin docks all over again:o But at least they have a stunning feature, it even compliments the Clarion.

But like the other's have said, it must go ahead!!!! :) Kicks Dublin IFSCs in the ass:D

mysterious wrote:
    Sweet lord... That is awesome!!!! Limerick even get's it right third time around with another skysraper... Heck, It's even classier than the other two. The rest of the buildings looks like a total failure IMO. I'm afraid they are going to do the Dublin docks all over again:o But at least they have a stunning feature, it even compliments the Clarion.

But like the other's have said, it must go ahead!!!! :) Kicks Dublin IFSCs in the ass:D

Where's the cyncism gone?

It's lloks like a great plan, I'd rather the smaller buildings were taller too though, and I'd rather see the full plan before fully committing to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Where's the cyncism gone?

It's lloks like a great plan, I'd rather the smaller buildings were taller too though, and I'd rather see the full plan before fully committing to it.

yeah true,

What makes the highrise cooler, is the glass on the front where it reflects and compliments the locks and possibly the Shannon due to it's record height.

I think If a proper high density and high rise plan was thought true it would work really well.

The Dublin docks are only beginning to come on now since they have risen the height restrictions of 60metres and risen some of their proposed towers and landmarks, since this pressure to build higher and densier. Despite being DDDA being on of the most ambitious projects ever planned in this country, I'm sure, If DDDA went back in time, they would have proposed higher buildings, rather than having mostly 4/5 legoland strutures we see along the IFSCs today..

Limerick should learn from the Dublin docklands mistakes. Much of the Dublin Docklands is now already underconstruction or zoned, so the dream of having a cluster of tall buildings together has failed bar a few landmarks towers. such as the U2 tower. So there is a chance for Limerick:D

It would be a huge achievement for Limerick if they could allow an ambitious project where a cluster of high rises could sore above the river and work well?

Especially given it's small size compared to the likes of Dublin or any European city, and could still have a scale of development that compete easiliy against them.

The city itself already has seen phenomenal developments along it's waterfront, including the Riverpoint tower. So the Standards can only go up, hopefully.

Let's just assume if they did propose a minuture Manhatten( please don't throw a fit), which I see no reason not too in more future plans.It would bring huge numbers to the back to the city. which will boost the underbounded population of 50,000 to postive figures.
    When given the current situation, where Limerick is in real trouble to stay above the 50,000 figure to keep it a city by European merits. The other problem is the underbounded city and has no other option but to expand outside of the city, so there is major land scarcity, so the option is to go up.

So if they get a plan like this right. Even if , The worst case sceniero goes ahead where Limerick dosn't get it's boundary extension.
    This project will put the city on the up. and a project of this scale could bring thousands more to live and work in the city.

How many acres of land there to develop within the docks? It's probably the last remaining important brownfield/derelict site in within the city boundary to develop.

what are yer thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Everyone should read the full article, it makes a very good read!
    http://www.sfpc.ie/news058.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

i definately think that a entertainment venue should be incorporated into the plans somehow..limerick is 25minutes from shannon airport so its a perfect way to lure some of the bigger bands into the limerick and shannon region. dolans will only hold so many people and there isnt another venue suitable (UCH does not suit rock acts at all!).wasnt there some rumours going around about a 8,000 capacity venue in the pipeline?
    the docks have such potential..they could definately could and should be redeveloped without losing their history.

ellenmelon wrote:
    i definately think that a entertainment venue should be incorporated into the plans somehow..limerick is 25minutes from shannon airport so its a perfect way to lure some of the bigger bands into the limerick and shannon region. dolans will only hold so many people and there isnt another venue suitable (UCH does not suit rock acts at all!).wasnt there some rumours going around about a 8,000 capacity venue in the pipeline?
    the docks have such potential..they could definately could and should be redeveloped without losing their history.

The owner of Vicat Street in Dublin has a team going around checking all the cities to see if one would be suitable for a new 3,000 person venue. I reckon Limerick has a great chance of getting it. Near an airport, equidistant from Galway and Cork, pretty rich hinterland.

I really hope "The Handbag" goes ahead! It's cool looking and the glass works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I will give the new apartments 2 years before they lose the public attention and they end up covered in grime, not maintained and a regular scummer hangout.
    Why not spend the money fixing up all the other failures around the city first?
    Has anyone seen steamboat quay lately? Harveys Quay?
    Both when they were built they were beautiful places to live, Harveys Quay especially, the fountains broke within 6 weeks and were never turned on again, and the place has never seen a powerhose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ninty9er wrote:
    Is the big thing on the right a fountain of a building.

I want Ireland's biggest conference centre!!!! I WANT I WANT

*picks eyes up off the floor after they have popped out* :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I think these plans are great! Deffo should go ahead, it does include that converence centre, a finacal district, skyscraper, housing, shopping, marine and muesum (i think).
    Although I do think the apartments should be kept at that height, we are talking of thousands of new people moving in to fill this development, never mind if it was all skyscrapers. that building is like 3 times the size of the Clarion, haha.. oh my god!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

OK folks I think its time we realised Limerick does not need any more apartments I mean look at the amount of vacant apartments in town. I have even heard of rent going down due to low demand. Also where in the lovely picture is the Docklands clock which has to be preserved or else its the old faithful two fingers to everything that has gone on in the Docklands to date. Plus if this development does get the go ahead does anyone think it will set a precedent for the other development proposed for the nature reserve on the clondell road

sioda wrote:
    OK folks I think its time we realised Limerick does not need any more apartments I mean look at the amount of vacant apartments in town. I have even heard of rent going down due to low demand. Also where in the lovely picture is the Docklands clock which has to be preserved or else its the old faithful two fingers to everything that has gone on in the Docklands to date. Plus if this development does get the go ahead does anyone think it will set a precedent for the other development proposed for the nature reserve on the clondell road

definately agree with you on the whole apartments thing..my block is half full id say (out of 20 apartments) and the block owned by the same developers across the road on henry street isnt much fuller id say..so any new apartments i see being built are a waste of time and money in my opinion!

• Advertisement

but!!!! Ye arent thinking about the amount of new offices that will be there and around town, the rise in population and other things. They should try and keep these apartments in good condition and up market as much as they can.

Some people here are like magpies, a shiny new picture and all of a sudden it's the greatest development to hit the country.

but!!!! Ye arent thinking about the amount of new offices that will be there and around town, the rise in population and other things. They should try and keep these apartments in good condition and up market as much as they can.

Ah Seriously the amount of empty office and retail units around town is just as ridiculous. Rise in population is only good for the apartment business in the short term as people soon buy houses.

sioda wrote:
    Ah Seriously the amount of empty office and retail units around town is just as ridiculous. Rise in population is only good for the apartment business in the short term as people soon buy houses.

The same problem is replicated all over Ireland though, not just in Limerick. It part of the problem with having construction the main engine for economic growth.

fair enough, build extra apartments for when there is a influx of people coming into limerick..but theres a fine line between too much and not enough, a happy median..and its been crossed a wee bit i think.

If they build a financial centre, this will bring MNC's headquarters and offices and Bank HQ's to Limerick with a workforce and a demand for apartments. People would also prefer to be close to work, hey presto : The Docks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

fantastic looking landmark building.
    agree, a finiancial centre would be an enormous addition to any city,and Limerick's docklands would be a perfect location for it. but does anyone think that the powers that be will ever allow something like this to develop outside Dublin?about 4 years ago, a top international bank were seeking a site in Galway for their European headquarters, but surprise surprise, they were persuaded to locate in Dublin.

Why would a bank headquarters locate to Limerick there is no reason to the IFSC in Dublin houses most of the major financial businesses in Ireland and I dont see them being lured away from the capital.

Plus we have no more bribes Euro money has dried up and lets be honest Limerick as a city is not flush with cash at the moment.

Dublin on the other hand can claim better infrastructure and facilities and more importantly if you are a financial business and you have a meeting with another its a hell of a lot quicker to drive your five series bmer two blocks than spend the rest of your life trying to get out of Dublin and down to Limerick.

Personnally I would like to see any new money for the city put into rejuvenating the city we have William Street for example.

Its like when springfield got the Monorail it was new and shiny but Main Street still had potholes you could lose a popcorn truck in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I was looking at this in more detail, it seems that there is actually very little in the way of residental!! Which is great that they realise this, I think that if it has full backing of Limerick City Council/Shannon Foynes Port Company and Willie O'Dea this will go ahead, otherwise.... it wont!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

sioda wrote:

Yes Limerick needs more apartments. NO not the same as what we've got. The economy can grow faster if there's less congestion and the city centre can only re-emerge above the retail parks if there's a resedential population.

---4/5 bed apartments with kitchen 2 dining 2 living 2 bath, utility en-suite and 4 parking spaces over 2 floors with detached style soundproofing and a balcony garden. 2000 sq. ft. €300,000 (in my dreams) but thats the kind of accomodation this city needs, 20 in a block 10 on 10, 4 floors and a communal roof garden/park. a maintenence fee is built into the contract for the property etc... 5 blocks in this place, they'd hardly cost €30m to build so I'd suggest 250-300k as a price

NOT more 1/2 bed boxes with a kitchen diner and a cupboard with a toilet and sink in it; where the parking space costs extra; and you have to go to a laundrette to get clothes washed and have nowhere to dry them and no block management

---But a residential area isn't best for a conference centre so they'd have to be opposing ends

Advertisement