Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Galway

Options
  • 23-06-2006 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone here has moved back to Galway having been away for a few years?

I have been in Dublin for 5 years now having spent 5 years in college there (I am from a few miles outside the city) and then came up here to work in 2001. I always loved Galway, I thought it was a relaxed slow paced kinda place with, for the most part, friendly people (at least relative to Dublin!).

I am thinking about moving back if I can get a job in IT there. Anyone moved back recently, is Galway still the same kind a place?

I have been out in galway a good few times at weekends and it all seems as good as I remember but maybe you can tell me otherwise....

Whats the story with IT jobs in Galway, doesnt seem to be many available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

hey there..yip I recently moved back after travelling since 2002.
    I'm in IT too and there's loads of work...pm me if you want more details..
    Galway hasn't changed much although it's more expensive and more crowded but still has the Galway charm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Am in the same boat. Move is going ahead anyways, should be installed by august but finding an IT job hard to come by, at least for my area of expertise. (Although there is any amount of Java jobs going.) Dont give a crap TBH, lookin forward to time off if it comes to it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

PM me your backrounds and I'll see about work for you guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Does anyone work or know anyone that works for Micros, that could give me the downlow.

I'm moving over as soon as I sell my flat and am in the same industry over here in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

MattKid wrote:
    Does anyone work or know anyone that works for Micros, that could give me the downlow.

I'm moving over as soon as I sell my flat and am in the same industry over here in the UK.
    I work for them.
    They're an alright company to work for, but at the end of the day are a 24 hour helpdesk (unless you get one of the cushier 9-5 jobs)
    which position were you thinking of going for?
    i can forward you the list of current open positions later if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

anything really, I've been pretty much heading a support team for 8 years. Software testing, managing engineers workloads, 1st and 2nd line telephone support etc

I'm hoping to be out in Galway mid Sept.

email is matt.kid@ btinternet.com (without the space)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

has there been alot of new i.t./software companies starting up in galway or where are all these supposed jobs coming from?
    apart from nortel,fidelity and hp and 1 or 2 out in dangan, i thought there was not much happening in the way of software companies??

DaBreno wrote:
    Am in the same boat. Move is going ahead anyways, should be installed by august but finding an IT job hard to come by, at least for my area of expertise. (Although there is any amount of Java jobs going.) Dont give a crap TBH, lookin forward to time off if it comes to it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

MrJones wrote:
    has there been alot of new i.t./software companies starting up in galway or where are all these supposed jobs coming from?
    apart from nortel,fidelity and hp and 1 or 2 out in dangan, i thought there was not much happening in the way of software companies??

I have a few daily alerts coming in from the usual job sites. It just strikes me that a lot of them are askin for Java with C++/C# a close second. Im a good few years in Client/Server, not really a lot going. (Like I care )

As for APC, if they didnt want to hire me, they could have just said so. Laying off 250 people and sending the IT dept to Mayo was a bit much.

Advertisement