Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Startup issues - HELP!!!

• 23-06-2006 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I hope you can help me.

I had Eircom broadband recently fitted at home and connected my Dell desktop to it using one of those wireless USB connectors. All worked fine and I forgot to turn the PC off. The next morning the PC had locked (not a surprise there with Windows and all that) but everytime since when I turn the PC on it goes through the boot up sequence and get all the icons on the desktop, mouse moves around all fine etc. However, when I click on one of the icons nothing happens. My toolbar is hidden and I cant even get that to come up. There is no hourglass showing at all.

I checked the task manager and it shows nothing happening. When I turn it off by holding the on/off button for a few seconds it says to end programmes that I cant see running.

I have some critical data I am after and need to get to it.

What do I do??

PS - not a techie so be gentle!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try removing the USB for the wirless router and restarting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Did that, got the t-shirt and the movie is out next week with the amount of times I have rebooted the friggin machine!! :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Does Safe Mode have the same result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Ozzy_webster

ont just reboot but unplug the computer all together and disconnect the wireless router, leave the computer off for about 5mins, turn it back on without the wirelss router connected. When the system is starting up select Safe mode and logon.

See if that works :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

i see u say u didi try to remove the USB adaptor, did u try to remove its software too ( not just trying to boot without the adaptor in ) ,
    Had u an internet connection before you got broadband installed ?... if not have u got anti-virus / anti spyware etc installed ?, as maybe u r machine is infected with sumtin....

• Advertisement

mr_disc wrote:
    i see u say u didi try to remove the USB adaptor, did u try to remove its software too ( not just trying to boot without the adaptor in ) ,
    Had u an internet connection before you got broadband installed ?... if not have u got anti-virus / anti spyware etc installed ?, as maybe u r machine is infected with sumtin....

I'll answer it as you asked.

yes - removed USB, no - wont allow me to, yes - had internet to machine in the UK, virus etc on there & yes it would appear so!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

can u get into safe mode ?

mr_disc wrote:
    can u get into safe mode ?

Nope

Advertisement