Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New XFX 7900 gt wont work !

Options
  • 23-06-2006 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

my new xfx 7900 gt http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=320053 arrived today along with antec neohe 500 w http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=316723. i fitted both according to specs and my screen goes black after initial boot screen changes to the windows xp loading graphic. i've tried everything i can think of but still no go. the mobo is an asrock dual sata. i did as recommended and uninstalled the agp card and used driver cleaner to remove any old drivers from the system. changed the bios to pci express. anybody got any ideas ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Got same gfx card in post yest. :D ........amazin when you get it goin.
    Have you another Pci-e card to slot in 2 see if its something in the bios. i'd try this 1st before you do anything else.

Have had no prob with mine although loads out there have had probs. seems the memory on the card cant take the clocks its set at. There have been loads of complaints about them. some people have returned them up to 4 times. Like me your lucky you went with XFX and have a lifetime guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Is this the S939 dual-SATA2 if so I would suggest;
    1) Update the bios of the motherboard (latest v2.10).
    2) Clear the CMOS afterwords.

See if the system boots if not;

3) Remove the ULI AGP driver if possible in Windows.
    4) Failing that see if it boots into safe mode with the PCI-E card present.
    5) Install ULI chipset drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Thanks a bunch 8T8. it was the uli drivers. the link you gave me did the trick. up and running now and it's great. i owe you one. this drove me nuts all day :rolleyes: thanks again.

No problem glad you got it sorted.

Oh and new WHQL NVIDIA drivers are out Forceware 91.31.

8T8, Is That still not a beta? Any word on how it performs. Been using XG91.28v2 & happy with it. does it have the new or old control panel. Xg one is cool cos you can decide which control panel you want. Dont like new cp

• Advertisement

These are official WHQL drivers on NVIDIA's main site not the ones from the nZone site.

General performance doesn't vary too much between the official drivers & I'm not into the slightly tweaked drivers scene so I don't bother with them, game profiles and nHancer is all I need.

[The control panel bugs and SLI message bug are also fixed in this WHQL release of the 91.31]

Dl'in now. gonna give it a go. cant get pc in2 safe mode (f8). just hangs when it gets 2 admin login. happened 2 days ago when i installin new driver 4 new gfx card. wanna run driver cleaner. is diagnostic startup in msconfig same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pog I had a problem like that a few days ago, needed to reinstall OS. After installing drivers couldnt even get into safe mode, well, it did - but no picture.

I'm using the 91.31 on my Geforce 6400 now since Tuesday night - working great so far.

only did re-format bout 6 wks ago. will it make any difference using driver cleaner in full windows startup? thats what i had 2 do other day. dl finished. need 2 know what 2 do now. is diagnostic mode same thing (if it works, didnt try yet)

You cant get into safe mode but can boot to the normal desktop ?

Diagnostic mode in msconfig forces the normal windows boot to only load the minimum drivers/services for the OS to load so some hardware may not work properly.

If you can still get into Windows normal do try driver cleaner, remove your current display drivers via the add/remove in the control panel first and when it reboots and gets back into windows then run driver cleaner to remove the remnants.

(Ignore any prompts for the display driver to install)

Next re-install your motherboard chipset drivers & reboot

Now install the display drivers & reboot.

Finally install the latest build (April 2006) of Direct-X 9.0c

After all the driver updates then tell Windows to run scandisk on your HD (with the box ticked to auto fix file system errors) to make sure everything is in order and then after the reboot and scan back in Windows from a command prompt or the run field in the start menu type in sfc & press enter so it checks if the OS files integrity is intact, if they are not it will ask for the XP CD to restore the files.

With all of the above done see if you can get into safe mode now, though your troubles may be a sign of something else wrong in the system and not necessarily a driver issue.

• Advertisement

Sfc not working from start menu/ run. any other way to get in2 it? prob gonna have 2 re-install windows. i prob have it disabled. i disabled loads of things in windows startup.
    nothin shown up on disk check. did everything else. will it make any difference 2 just run driver cleaner in normal startup? dont fancy re-installin. everythin else ok in windows.

Sorry I didn't give the full command it is sfc /scannow which you must type in for the system file checker to initialize.

Really don't go disabling system services it wont net you anything worthwhile in system performance and cripple functionality of the operating system.

Some items under the start-up tab in msconfig are meant to load at start-up, disabling some may disable functionality or control over certain drivers. Some stuff relating to specific third party applications (like QuickTime or Nero etc) of course can be stopped from loading at start-up.

The recommendations by people of disabling services claiming performance increases are selling snake oil.

Got it now. wont be messing with services again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

i figured out what happened to my comp. the latest windows updates borked my uli drivers and that's why it would'nt recognise the pci express card. thanks again for your help 8T8 :D

Advertisement