Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car keeps over heating

Options
  • 23-06-2006 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Every few weeks my car keeps over heating, I carry a 2 litre of water with me in the car incase I have forgotten to check the water level,Just wondering why it keeps over heating

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

oulu wrote:
    Every few weeks my car keeps over heating, I carry a 2 litre of water with me in the car incase I have forgotten to check the water level,Just wondering why it keeps over heating

Check that your fan is working, sounds like it's knackered.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you have to keep topping the coolant up you have a leak!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

check the oil cap for Mayo. Could be a headgasket problem.
    Otherwise it's just a simple leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Had this problem with my old car. It was a hairline crack in the radiator. I just filled with undiluted tap-water (it was in Summer). The limescale plugged the crack.

That said - this was a 10 year old car and I didn't give a ****! (Worth considering if its that old).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

oulu wrote:

If it is every few weeks it overheats and is short of water, then, check for a rad or hose leak, Teh waterpump shaft seal or the heater core inside the car may also spring a leak.

If it were Thermostat, fans, Cracked head or Head Gasket, it would overheat just about every time you drive it.

When you have an opportunity and after a reasonable run, leave it ideling, with all the electrical loads on, then after about 10 min check for drips.

• Advertisement
Advertisement