Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany v Sweden

• 23-06-2006 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Hoping Sweden to bring their best game to Germany and win it 1-2 but it will be tough with 90% or so of the crowd being Germany fans.

What are people's thoughts on this match, the first match of the last of 16?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hopefully Germany murder Sweden and rid the tournament of one of the worst teams in it (France and Swiss and England also fall into that category)

And Klose to score loads so i be rich.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

larsson to stick a few in a win to keep his top scorer chances alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

KdjaC wrote:
    Hopefully Germany murder Sweden and rid the tournament of one of the worst teams in it (France and Swiss and England also fall into that category)

i agree that France are playing very badly and don't on their current form deserve to be in the last 16, but Switzerland also are playing better than how they have done in previous matches i have seen them over the years and have topped their group with 7 points which is no easy feat against 3 of the top 32 teams in the world.

re Sweden - if you are basing your view of Sweden as a bad team from Ireland's 3-0 win over Sweden some months ago then you have to remember that it was a home game for Ireland, an Ireland out to impress their new manager on his 1st game, that Sweden had a right back then who is no longer in the team at all but who practically gave Ireland 2 goals in that game due to poor defending, and, most importantly it was a friendly game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sweden get beaten, no question in my mind. They make England look creative! ;)

Mike.

naitkris wrote:
    re Sweden - if you are basing your view of Sweden as a bad team from Ireland's 3-0 win over Sweden some months ago then you have to remember that it was a home game for Ireland, an Ireland out to impress their new manager on his 1st game, that Sweden had a right back then who is no longer in the team at all but who practically gave Ireland 2 goals in that game due to poor defending, and, most importantly it was a friendly game.

No based on the 3 god damn awful performances they put in, they are shockingly poor and only Larssons sheer appetite to finish on a high has kept them in it.

And they do make England look creative sadly with more long balls.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

mike65 wrote:
    Sweden get beaten, no question in my mind. They make England look creative! ;)

Mike.
    easy there mike;)

KdjaC wrote:
    No based on the 3 god damn awful performances they put in, they are shockingly poor and only Larssons sheer appetite to finish on a high has kept them in it.

3 god damn awful performances? have you watched any other matches in the WC2006? Ukraine have been shocking and they got through but you didn't mention them for some reason. Same goes for Italy imo and you didn't mention them either.

England also aren't so bad, better than Ghana, Mexico, Australia, and Ecuador imo but you didn't mention these countries either. could it be that you are only having a go at the "awful performing" European countries in the WC2006 (Sweden, France, Switzerland, and England which you mentioned) seeing as they are rivals to Ireland from a Europe perspective?

but we'll wait until this evening to see how awful a performance Sweden put in against Germany, and tomorrow for England against Ecuador to see if they really are as bad as you make them out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I expect Germany to win but not by much...only for the fact that Swededn have struggled to score any goals in their last 7-8 games except for the last one. They will play on the counter for most of the game. It'll be a boring one.

Switzerland are now my dark horses to reach the semi's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I would like to see Sweden do it. I have always liked them for some reason but if im honest I dont think they will win. The crowd will play a huge part in the game. Maybe the fact that its a day time kick off might help the Swedes out because there doesnt seem to be as good an atmosphere for the day kick offs compared to the night time kick offs.

Im not expecting a great game. Sweden will play counter attacking football and the onus will be on the Germans to try and break them down. Sweden will be the best side Germany have come up against so far so we will finally see if they have proper chance of winning the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

find it hard to give a crap about this one esp with this evenings game promising a better standard of football.

Germans to win on the basis of home advantage. It will be a klose one

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Switzerland are now my dark horses to reach the semi's
    I take that back now I've just heard something

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I take that back now I've just heard something

which is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

senderos has been found out not to be swiss but a yeti found as a babe in Canada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kingp35 wrote:
    which is?
    Senderos out for the rest of the tournament. Lex Luthor cares too much about his fantasy football team to tell anyone. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Kingp35 wrote:
    which is?
    tell you at half 3

naitkris wrote:
    3 god damn awful performances? have you watched any other matches in the WC2006? Ukraine have been shocking and they got through but you didn't mention them for some reason. Same goes for Italy imo and you didn't mention them either.

England also aren't so bad, better than Ghana, Mexico, Australia, and Ecuador imo but you didn't mention these countries either. could it be that you are only having a go at the "awful performing" European countries in the WC2006 (Sweden, France, Switzerland, and England which you mentioned) seeing as they are rivals to Ireland from a Europe perspective?

but we'll wait until this evening to see how awful a performance Sweden put in against Germany, and tomorrow for England against Ecuador to see if they really are as bad as you make them out to be.

Cos the thread title says Germany vs Sweden :o

kdjac

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gutted for the lad, him celebrating his goal with blood running down his face will be one of the images of the tournament I think.

The Swiss have Johan Djourou to come in for him though, so it's not a total disaster. Djourou is only 19 but looks to be a terrific CB, he's bigger, quicker and more comfortable on the ball than Senderos - doesn't read the game as well though.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Senderos out for the rest of the tournament. Lex Luthor cares too much about his fantasy football team to tell anyone. ;)
    :o

KdjaC wrote:
    Cos the thread title says Germany vs Sweden :o

kdjac

ok, but then i'll ask you, why mention the below? :
    KdjaC wrote:
    ...France and Swiss and England also fall into that category)

didn't know they had anything to do with the thread title (except maybe for England which was in the same group as Sweden).

anyways, game is almost kicking off, should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

germany lead 1-0

Podolski!!

Great play by Klose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Germany are attacking like a world class team but against a team which isn't defending properly. Ya can only beat what's put in front of ya though.

Beautiful 2-0!!

Podolski again.

Great teamplay by the strikers.

naitkris wrote:
    ok, but then i'll ask you, why mention the below? :

didn't know they had anything to do with the thread title (except maybe for England which was in the same group as Sweden).

anyways, game is almost kicking off, should be interesting.

They are all poor teams who made it into second round, just in the door and its 2-0 Germany in total control anyone surprised?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

KdjaC wrote:
    ... just in the door and its 2-0 Germany in total control anyone surprised?

kdjac

nope, also expected the Germans to walk this one

disaster for sweden, teddy lucic sent off!

Sweden down to 10 bit harsh the 2nd yellow for Lucic.

Should have been 2 or 3 since 20th minute, Swede keeper playing well.

kdjac

Sweden down to 10 men.

What a foolish tackle.

No need to impede Klose whatsoever.

Does anybody else hate, the fact that loadsa commentators hate when players look for people to be given yellows.
    Like just there, the Germans looked for the guy to get the yellow that he did deserve, what is wrong with that?

If players are consistantly fouling you, why can't you tell the ref that and that they should be booked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

thats a load of **** tbh. the ref was not going to give him a card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

PHB wrote:

If players are consistantly fouling you, why can't you tell the ref that and that they should be booked.

Its the ref's job, not the players! Frings should have been booked for asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

PHB wrote:
    Does anybody else hate, the fact that loadsa commentators hate when players look for people to be given yellows.
    Like just there, the Germans looked for the guy to get the yellow that he did deserve, what is wrong with that?

What happens then when the referee gets the decision (for the initial foul) wrong and books the player under pressure from the players asking for a yellow?? they are tryin to get rid of the kind of fiasco whereby players surround the referee (D'Urso at Old Trafford springs to mind!)

It's disgusting to see IMO and the commentators (the ex-pro's) hate it as they have no doubt been in that position themselves!

Germany looking decent as a team though....could yet go far in this tournament...strikers working well together (even though they apparently don't get along)

How did England draw with Sweden?? it's making us look really bad!

Just stuck a couple of euro on the draw at 55/1. :)

It's disgusting to see IMO and the commentators (the ex-pro's) hate it as they have no doubt been in that position themselves!

Yeh, when they are wrong, it means the foul shouldn't have been given in the first place, in which case the ref is already wrong.

But it's bull**** that players can get away with fouling non-stop, all the time, e.g. Makelele, but if a player complains to the ref about it, it means he is in the wrong.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Just stuck a couple of euro on the draw at 55/1. :)

very optimistic!

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote:
    very optimistic!
    It's worth a shot. I'm risking pretty much nothing to win €110 and anything can happen with Germany's terrible defence.

PHB wrote:
    But it's bull**** that players can get away with fouling non-stop, all the time, e.g. Makelele, but if a player complains to the ref about it, it means he is in the wrong.

It's up to the refereee though! it just seems so unprofessional to me for a player to get in the ref's face and demand a booking for a fellow pro....and then podolski patting him on the back, disgrace.

In this example i think Lucic only had one more foul after his booking (correct me if im wrong) and there are players demanding another yellow straight away (i.e. not non-stop fouling)...not a red card for me and reflects badly on the players (Frings and Podolski) for pressuring the ref

Sweden deserve all they are getting frankly. I hope the Huns put them to the sword big time.

Mike.

eirebhoy wrote:
    It's worth a shot. I'm risking pretty much nothing to win €110 and anything can happen with Germany's terrible defence.

I guess so, at 55/1 i guess the odds are decent (2-0 down, down to 10 men and playing against hosts) but i can't see it happening

Ibrahimovic is so overrated...his flicks are going nowhere and larsson is gettin no service, they need to get freddie on the ball and let him run at the defence who like you say aren't all that clever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Sweden's defence is brutal.
    Looks like they're scared of the Germans, they're all backing off them and letting them shoot at will.
    Germany way too strong for them and will win comfortably, they're getting better as the tournie goes on.

• Advertisement

Larrson "wins" a peno.

Save?.....nope missed not even a point

kdjac

clumsy defending

HENK....for god sake

Could'nt buy a goal

The Swedish keeper has played a blinder.

Mike.

howler by larsson to miss the peno. good for me as have tenner on germany to score the next goal! fantastic strike by ballack just there...

klose and podolski partnership is really starting to look good.

Larsson didn't even take Celtic's penos because he couldn't handle the pressure. I still wasn't expecting such a brutal peno.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Larsson didn't even take Celtic's penos because he couldn't handle the pressure. I still wasn't expecting such a brutal peno.

You must be gutted! you're chance of getting something from the game surely gone??

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

damn you zlatan. stop playing badly

Larsson kicking away Metzelder's boot...comedy

Sweden were poor...didn't even give them a game but for 3-4 mins.

12 against 10 though....the ref was a homer. Didn't take his card out for the Germans when some of their challenges deserved a yellow card. Should be a few extra euros in his bank account tomorrow from Herr Beckenbaur

Anyway, the competition is better off without Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The Swedish keeper is the only one who should be exempt from being shot out of a cannon, they were woeful. The Germans were superior in every way, they were very impressive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement