Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina v Mexico

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

best goal ever!!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Aquos76 wrote:
    FS that goal should have stood for messi

Well pissed off it didn't, had the Argies for the win and in a double with Germany...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

KdjaC wrote:
    best goal ever!!!!

kdjac

My thoughts exactly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Eh, that goal was basically the same as Joe Cole's the other day, strange though the pundits were criticised on here for saying it was the goal of the tournament...

What a game, shame it's going to end in 15.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

KdjaC wrote:
    best goal ever!!!!

kdjac

Sure was. Absolute class finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Joe Cole's was nowhere near that good.

The chest to take it away from the defender, who couldn't get near him, and such a sweet strike from the left boot at that angle.

Compared to Joe Cole's where he was under very little pressure.

Goal of the WC so far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Whereas Joe Cole's was further out and even further into the top corner, beating the giant Isaksson. Argentina's second against S&M is still a better goal regardless imo.

Mexico look like they've run out of ideas.

// Beautiful move there by the Argies, they really are great to watch when they turn it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What a match. Dunno what else to add to that! Great goal from Rodriguez. I didn't see the first half of the England game the other night but if Cole's was like that, then fair play to him.

• Advertisement

Well done Argentina

if ever a goal to win a game was scored that was it.

hard luck Mexico they played well but on the bench thye hadnt got it.

Also for once can i say well done ref? best ref i have seen in a long time he let the game go and fair enough the offside goal wasnt his fault and the lack of red for heinze was more game related than foul related. he let the game flow and did a good job keeping it clean and flowing.

Great game i really enjoyed that and said earlier that only something special would win it and maxi did it.

kdjac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Classic RTE moment there where the commentator said back to the boys in the studio, then the music as it goes to a break and all you hear is "oh **** sorry" from the commentator.
    Mexico were very impressive in that game and they really had the Argies worried I think. Anyway Argies go through and I don't think they'll face a bigger challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Good game, didn't catch the goal to win it!!!! Argies vs Germany will make a great quarter final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Match of the tournament

Goal of the tournament

Great stuff

That's up there among the best world cup matches I've seen. Both teams defended and attacked superbly all game and in the end it came down to a moment of individual magic, not surprising that it was an Argentinian. Rodrigues has been excellent all tournament and will surely get the praise he deserves now.

Really loving Germany '06 now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Eh, that goal was basically the same as Joe Cole's the other day, strange though the pundits were criticised on here for saying it was the goal of the tournament...

What a game, shame it's going to end in 15.
    Cole's goal came from a clearance which bounced and he controlled it on his chest. This goal was a cross field pass from Sorin (?) which went straight to Maxi's chest. :) I was off my seat for Cole's goal but this was definitely better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

eirebhoy wrote:
    Cole's goal came from a clearance which bounced and he controlled it on his chest. This goal was a cross field pass from Sorin (?) which went straight to Maxi's chest. :) I was off my seat for Cole's goal but this was definitely better.
    I shouted when the goal went in and the wife jumped twice as high from the fright....

Messi was great when he came in and Crespo has been awarded the goal on FF site....I'm a happy bunny tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

hopefully the holland portugal will ive up to the expectation aswell.

hopefully the holland portugal will ive up to the expectation aswell.
    I doubt it will personally, Holland are a very solid side in general so it'll probably take an early goal for Portugal if its to live up to the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Well pissed off it didn't, had the Argies for the win and in a double with Germany...:mad:
    i had the same bet. couldn't believe it i feel so cheated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I love the World Cup!

P.S. Cambiasso's goal was better than Maxi's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Match of the tournament

Goal of the tournament

Agree 100%.

Talking to a guy on the inside, bookies are losing money on this World Cup especially in the first week with people doing trebles on the 3 matches with most of the favs winning.
    Mind you they probably won on the Argie game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some have suggested this world cup has'nt been much cop!

The goal was very nice but not the best evarrrrrrrrrr! That 'goals' to Bergkamps volley against Argentina in France 98

Mike.

mike65 wrote:

The goal was very nice but not the best evarrrrrrrrrr! That 'goals' to Bergkamps volley against Argentina in France 98

Mike.

But that didnt win a game in extra time.

its all about the game really.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

mike65 wrote:

You must differentiate between most exciting goal and best goal.
    Bergkamp's goal was a good finish but you are doing an injustice to the previous 68 years of World Cups if you think that was the best goal ever scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

It was a great goal,but goal of the tournament?No chance,sure it was a great moment etc but at the end of the day the Cambiasso goal is one of the greatest goals of all time,this one isnt.

Quality match anyway,i think the decisions evened themselves out over the course of the match,i think the two teams know each other pretty well,so it was always going to be a close match.

Heinze was pretty poor,hopefully he improves in the next game.I reckon Argentina will cut the german defence apart,should be a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

with most of the favs winning.

It's my understanding that bookies want the favorites to win, isn't that how their maths work out?

---

p.s.

What a game. You could see the difference between the teams compared to the other matches they played. Disappointed with Riqueleme, but I expected it, don't think he can cut it at this level.
    Overall, fun fun game, how Heinze wasn't sent off nobody knows, including Heizne, who quite clearly expected a red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    It's my understanding that bookies want the favorites to win, isn't that how their maths work out?
    Not at all. :) A lot more money goes on the favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Lex Luthor wrote:
    the FF site is not giving the goal to Crespo....what's the deal here?
    I NEED THAT GOAL..!!!!!!!!

He's my captain FFS.

Hopefully it will go to a panel.

Crespo has officially been given the goal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/argentina/5114624.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

PHB wrote:
    how Heinze wasn't sent off nobody knows, including Heizne, who quite clearly expected a red.

Yeah I know, you could see the look on his face, he knew exactly what he had done and expected to go for it!

• Advertisement

evilhomer wrote:
    Yeah I know, you could see the look on his face, he knew exactly what he had done and expected to go for it!

Well done ref tbh.

Doubt anyone other than amexican wanted him to walk for that in that game.

That ref gets +1 from fifa :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

by ignoring the rules of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

The other defender could have covered for Heinze in my opinion so I think the referee was correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

ziggy67 wrote:
    I wanted him to walk because it was a sending off offence. If the game was somehow spoiled then it wouldn't have been the refs fault it would have been Heinzes'
    if the mexican touch was better and played it towards goal it was a deffo red but he played it over heinzes leg and towards the area Ayala was coming from. I thing Ayala deffo would have got a challenge. Watch the direction of the ball and where ayala is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms8Bg-9PDeE&search=heinze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Heinze thought it was a red card when he was doing it, just Ayala's brilliance saved him from it, because of the quickness of his run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

ziggy67 wrote:
    He could have possibly got there- i don't think it was "deffo" either way though.
    I don't think he would have got there but more the Ref agreed with you so that is that.
    I think you will find the rule is "clear goalscoring opportunity" the direction of the ball and Ayalas presence put doubt in the referees mind

• Advertisement
Advertisement