Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bona night

Options
  • 23-06-2006 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone going to any bonfires? There's at least one near my house but have no wish to inhale the possibly poisonous fumes atm tbh. But, anyone else take part?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

There was loads around the city last night! Some of them were fairly big too. The weird thing was I didn't see anybody near any of them. You'd think there'd be somebody standing around gating.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

we have been trapped in our house with the fumes from these fires for the last 3days i really dont see the point of these fires.nowt worse than the smell of dirty nappies,hair and tyres ugh.not good for ppl that suffer with ashma.i thought bonfires were illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I went to one at the top of Skehard Road (Well Rd) and took along no.1 son and a friend of his who had never been to a bonfire before. Took the opportunity to clear out some wood from the shed - that pallet from a Dell server never did come in useful ;)

It was interesting to see one woman who used it as an opportunity to dispose of her plastic play slide and various other plastic items.

When I was a kid in Limerick we used have bonfire night at Halloween and not in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

parsi wrote:
    I went to one at the top of Skehard Road (Well Rd)

I drove past that bonfire several times that night! I went past for the last time pretty late and there was still a few hardcore people standing around it!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

daveirl wrote:

They sure are !

yeah i get the whole tradition but here we go again people burning stuff outside. i mean its everyday this week now and the boyfriend is glued to his inhaler.
    I cant dry clothes outside,i have to rewash them.I sound like A whingebag but its truely unbareable.Firemen dont come up as they get stuff thrown at them (front of the echo on wednesday)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

There's on going on the last 3 days here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

firemen get stuff thrown at them most times they turn out. mostly bricks and rocks and stuff, it's a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

this behavious abs baffles me. i cant understand for the life of me why anyone would throw stuff at firemen or ambulance personnell. they are only out there trying to help people and they get this sh1t. ridicilous. they should introduce mandatory sentances for this type of behaviour.....or actually bring back the stocks and see how they like stuff being throw at them!!!

i want to know where the so called helicopter is that goes around taking pictures of ppl burning rubbish.never around when u need them,its truely disgusting ppl burning household rubbish,toxic fumes an humans are a no go:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Apparently, bonfire nights (St Johns Eve and Halloween) are the only time of year when it is not illegal to burn rubbish!!!

If St Johns Eve is such a country tradition (being thankful for the harvest etc) why is it such a huge thing in the city and (AFAIK) virtually unheard of in the country?

Advertisement