Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Roisín - the old or the new

Options
  • 24-06-2006 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Well the Roisín has been a spot which I have frequented this year and have consequentially become quite attached to. As one can appreciate, in anticipation of the now ongoing renervations, a little apprehension was experienced. However, having listened to the praise of its new found space by some, and the whinging of it becomiing too mainstream and loosing its touch by others, I decided to venture forth yesterday. While creating the space that was so necessary in the provision of an appropriatly sized dancing spot, the crew succeeded in maintaining the character of the front bar. Not too sure about the back bar though...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Well the Roisín has been a spot which I have frequented this year and have consequentially become quite attached to. As one can appreciate, in anticipation of the now ongoing renervations, a little apprehension was experienced. However, having listened to the praise of its new found space by some, and the whinging of it becomiing too mainstream and loosing its touch by others, I decided to venture forth yesterday. While creating the space that was so necessary in the provision of an appropriatly sized dancing spot, the crew succeeded in maintaining the character of the front bar. Not too sure about the back bar though...

Any thoughts?

Too mainstream...ha ha ha ha.Thats just fvcking sad,where did you hear that from? The cool police i take it....sad b4stards.
    These are the same people that worship a band when they are underground then as soon as they sign a deal or get a bit of success they have "sold out".The cool police are now interior decorators?, bloody idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was never a fan of the Black Rose anyway, too many wanna-bes and emos.
    The space created in the back bar was very much needed tho, place was always jammers on the weekend.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Out front there's now nowhere to sit or even to put your coat down and I really don't like this business of going up plenty of stairs to the toilets, I need a sherpa of some description for that kind of Himalayan trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah the new toilets are pretty annoying. Like 5 flights of stairs before the top :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Anima wrote:
    Yeah the new toilets are pretty annoying. Like 5 flights of stairs before the top :rolleyes:
    Apparently, the more resourceful gent will slip out the back door for a "cigarette" and slash into the canal.

I can't condone or endorse this behaviour but I really wish I'd thought of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

toliets take a bit of getting to which is annoying. it was no harm in doing up the backend as it was very cramped. front is still intact which im happy about.

MrJones wrote:
    front is still intact which im happy about.
    How is it intact if the two snugs are gone, all of the shelfing to put your pint, there's the bottom of a big ould staircase out front and, from what I can tell, all the pegs to hang your coat are gone?

The word gentrification springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

i rarely got to sit in them snugs so i could care less!!
    well most of the front bar is intact!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Robbo wrote:
    Apparently, the more resourceful gent will slip out the back door for a "cigarette" and slash into the canal.

The dopier lad you mean. In front of you as you pish into the canal there is a mast, on that mast is a hi def camera and underneath the mast is Mill St garda Station.

Lemme see . Littering. Exposing Yourself. Breach of the Peace . Public Nuisance, may as well plead guilty straight away before the judge sees the video.

But is the place more chickie friendly, it was bare of top totty for years unlike Massimos for example :(

Sponge Bob wrote:
    The dopier lad you mean. In front of you as you pish into the canal there is a mast, on that mast is a hi def camera and underneath the mast is Mill St garda Station.

Lemme see . Littering. Exposing Yourself. Breach of the Peace . Public Nuisance, may as well plead guilty straight away before the judge sees the video.

But is the place more chickie friendly, it was bare of top totty for years unlike Massimos for example :(
    I'd forgotten that they now devoted all CCTV resources to chasing down public urinators after the infamous "Canal pisser" incident that had the city in the thralls of terror. Dark days indeed.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote:
    I'd forgotten that they now devoted all CCTV resources to chasing down public urinators after the infamous "Canal pisser" incident that had the city in the thralls of terror. Dark days indeed.

Tis true they dont give a feck about it.Ive gone bushin up that way many a time and the guards dont give two hoots,why should they?

padi89 wrote:
    Tis true they dont give a feck about it.Ive gone bushin up that way many a time and the guards dont give two hoots,why should they?
    Law and Order: Special Urination Squad, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You're taking the piss.

Back on topic, sharpish.

Haven't been in the Róisín lately, partly due to rennovations, partly due to being broke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Righty Ho!

Does the new décor bring in the eye candy or not ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CJX-3X12

definetly the old. front part has lot a lot of its charm without the snugs. those stairs don't belong there at all. back part could be good for gigs though.

anyone know anything about the new venue upstairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

padi89 wrote:
    Too mainstream...ha ha ha ha.Thats just fvcking sad,where did you hear that from? The cool police i take it....sad b4stards.
    These are the same people that worship a band when they are underground then as soon as they sign a deal or get a bit of success they have "sold out".The cool police are now interior decorators?, bloody idiots!

Ah, so you know exactly who I'm talking about then.;)

Shows how good the talent was that I dodn't miss the snuggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Maybe im getting older and non wiser but I like my pubs to have ample seating lately and somewhere to hang yer fooking coat. With all these new shiny tablecloth shirt establishments and the destruction of the darker comfier ale houses it makes for a sad world we live in these days.

Maybe im getting older and non wiser but I like my pubs to have ample seating lately and somewhere to hang yer fooking coat. With all these new shiny tablecloth shirt establishments and the destruction of the darker comfier ale houses it makes for a sad world we live in these days.
    Leave everyone standing up and not only do they drink more, you can fit more of the blighters in.

Stage 1: Remove Seats
    Stage 2: ???
    Stage 3: PROFIT!

I saw a band in the new-and-improved area at the back a couple of weeks ago and I didn't like it. At least before if you weren't into the band, you could sit down but now you're left standing elbow-to-elbow with some of the most arch practitioners of the stylish-indie-rock-hairstyle-with-ironic-80s-tshirt.

Still, you can probably fit in 2-3 times more people to a gig which could entail bigger acts.

Robbo wrote:
    arch practitioners of the stylish-indie-rock-hairstyle-with-ironic-80s-tshirt.

The cool police in a nutshell.

Takeing out the seats and allowing more people in might not be to everyones taste im sure.Its probably better than charging a premium price in for a gig with seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Fnck the lot of ye with yer weak legs. This is Darwinism at it's finest.

The bitterness is palpable Rob wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

More space for dancing! Woo!

SyxPak wrote:
    The bitterness is palpable Rob wink.gif
    Oh come on. When have you known me to be anything other than embittered and entrenched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Was there last night and will reserve judgement until I see it fully finished but anyhow, The back is probably a better venue now than it was, the upstairs bar and deck looked great (I didn't really spend much time in either) but on the downside, the front bar is ruined and the toilets are a too many steps away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'd say wait until it's finished. The roof garden is good (pity you can't see through the slats to next door!).
    Went to "Whose Line" there during the week; I think it'll be much better for gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fey! wrote:
    I'd say wait until it's finished. The roof garden is good (pity you can't see through the slats to next door!).
    Went to "Whose Line" there during the week; I think it'll be much better for gigs.
    I was there too. Good show but cramped for space. I like the rooftop are but getting the feeling we are somehow getting ourselves another superpub, albeit a rock/indie/emo such.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement