Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long term gadgets

Options
  • 24-06-2006 8:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

god i buy a lot of gagets of ebay, but usually go meh! and sell them on after a few weeks

name a few gadgets that you still thought were brilliant to have a year after you bought them

mine...

usb key ( see thread below)
    modded xbox
    media center pc
    nokia 6630

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

I would personally have thought that by definition a gadget was something that after 3 weeks you would sell or never want to see again. (And definitely would not like your wife to see and comment on) Anything that I bought that I still seriously liked and needed after a year would quallify as being a wise long term investment that I would have (mostly) no problem with explaining to my wife.

Serious battery recharger / NiMh Batteries - various sizes

Digital camera

Usb keys/memory cards/ memory card reader

Things that are gadgets can remain gadgets even if you still need and want them after a year of so.

For instance if you had bought one of the first DVD burners paid over 500 irish pounds back when this was a lot of money, cost more than your PC....

a year or two later when burners cost a quarter of this price and would burn faster and your wife found out what it cost this would still be an expensive embaras.. I mean gadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

My Show centre..... CHeaper and better then a media PC TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

*deep breath*

Nokia n90
    Canon 350d
    Sony home Cinema projector
    iTech Bluetooth Virtual Keyboard
    Garmin Nuvi 350 SatNav
    Wireless Broadband Router at home
    iPod & Dension ICE Link
    And lastly, my MINI Cooper :D

and that's the short list ! Anyone else poor from GAS? Gadget Addiction Syndrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Actually - what's the virtual keyboard like ? Any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, for the geek factor it's great, but TBH, I type much more slowly and deliberately than with a regular keyboard. I'm averaging 40/50 wpm with the Virtual Keyboard, as opposed to perhaps 70/80 with a standard. My Nokia n90 has T9 predictive text, and after 5 years or so, I'm a dab hand at that, BUT, when I use the office applications on my phone, then I use the keyboard, and then it's damn handy. In short, I'd recommend it. I'm getting a second one for my office, my desk is black, and I think it would be extremely eye-catching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Do they come with an external power supply or are they battery only ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

oppps i forgot to mention my Leatherman, once you used one if these a while you can't go anywhere without it (well except to the pub)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

• nokia 6600 (bought 2.5 years ago :) )
    • acer ferrari 4005Wlmi laptop (bought 1 year ago, my baby)
    • creative 7.1 surround sound system & audigy 2 zs soundcard.
    • 3 in 1 printer (scanner, photocopier, printer)
    • coin sorter
    • swiss army knife with usb drive
    • utili-key
    • eon ice credit card light
    • skype phone
    • 19-led handheld floodlight

that's about it. i've a digital camera on the way and just got a fenix P1 torch today so they'll be added to that list soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

K750i with w800 earphones for the standard earphone jack, so I can listen to mp3s in my car/home/friends house etc.. the phone is everything I'll ever need. best purchase to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

USB key (2 years on and she's still going strong and as handy as ever :))
    iPod (my parents bought it for me, but i'll definitely be buying another one soon)
    Nintendo DS/DS lite (i thought that this would only be used for an occasional mindless blast, but how ****ing wrong was i!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

• Mobile Phone
    • Digital Camera
    • Modded Xbox with XBMC
    • MP3 Player
    • Although not techy, a Foreman grill! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

ned78 wrote:
    Anyone else poor from GAS? Gadget Addiction Syndrome?
    THIEF!

Also, DS
    iRiver H340
    iRiver LCD remote
    Shure E2G's
    Nokia 6680

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Definately my Sonos, www.sonos.com and Homevision www.csi3.com followed by homeseer www.homeseer.com Started just as a curiosity and have now gone way out of control.
    I'm in dublin for the week and just spent the night on the web to my house playing with the gadgets!!

Wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Iriver H320 (Rockboxed and still brilliant)
    Remote for same player (ebay).
    that's about it really. All the other gadgets have grown a bit stale in my eyes!

Advertisement