Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 24-06-2006 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

I know this has been mention before and it was taken off to ease the load on the server(As I understrand it)

But I must say if you want my feed back opinion I much prefer it the old way. New Posts was they way I browsed boards.

I have seen another site that uses VBulletin and you cant go to new posts twice within 60 seconds, would this not help the issue?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It does seem to be used very heavily. Maybe only set it up once per half hour?

dbnavan wrote:
    I know this has been mention before and it was taken off to ease the load on the server(As I understrand it)

But I must say if you want my feed back opinion I much prefer it the old way. New Posts was they way I browsed boards.

I have seen another site that uses VBulletin and you cant go to new posts twice within 60 seconds, would this not help the issue?

I used to use it a lot too, except when search was down for a considerable amount of time before I went back to looking at the front page, and I ne'er use New Posts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Aye, having a limiter on it would help!
    Also, bring back the My Posts function, I lose track of my posts without that function!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Maybe make advanced search available to subscribers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

My memory is so crap, losing the "my posts" option is a big loss.
    I understand the load on the search function, but surely just having the "my posts" wouldnt be such a load, I mean surely it would be rather light in comparison?

Im prolly wrong, just saying its a royal pain is all.

b

• Advertisement

I understand the load on the search function, but surely just having the "my posts" wouldnt be such a load, I mean surely it would be rather light in comparison?
    No I don't think so. People use that link all the time I reckon. The my posts function is the search function. I reckon people just click on that every few minutes to see if anyone is replying to them.

Then again, I haven't read up properly on the precise reasons that the search has been at fault so I could be wrong. However, the amount of people complaining about the my posts function here and on the Help Desk since it has been stopped has been quite large.

So if everyone is using the my posts function all the time then I reckon that's the reason for the slow down.

Learn to remember what and where you post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Probably right Gordon, ah well.
    Gordon wrote:
    Learn to remember what and where you post!

Lol, I wish, tell that to my various memory loss inducing meds my friend lol ;)

b

Use bookmarks on your browser then!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

click your profile name and click find more posts by this user.

If the new post thing was changed to look better it would be ok.

click your profile name and click find more posts by this user.
    I don't think that works for non mods does it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It works for me. If that doesn't work for people there is a link in their profile also.

Or just subscibe to threads you post in.

It deffo doesn't work for non mods. It works for you, Tar, because you're an HMod.

Gordon wrote:
    It deffo doesn't work for non mods. It works for you, Tar, because you're an HMod.
    Oh, never knew that, tis handy.

I guess the best solution then is to subscribe to threads(without email notification) as going into your profile takes an extra click. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Gordon wrote:
    It does actually, both the find other posts and the profile link one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Same as that - works for me and I'm no-one round here.

I think Gordon owes everybody an apology. >_> :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gortest

test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gortest

Gortest wrote:
    test
    Doesn't work for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Could the old style "new posts" function be reinstated with a 25/50 post limit instead of the old 500 post limit? Possibly with a revisit time contraint?

I must be honest the I find the new one is of little value. The best it can do is find posts from yesterday. From a poster's point of view it is an irritation, from a mod's point of view it's totally frustrating as you can't get a real-time post activity picture. I have given up on it. I find myself going back to the home page www.boards.ie just to see the newest 25. I appreciate everybody concerned it giving it their all and I feel bad moaning about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Gortest wrote:
    Doesn't work for me!

Pfft, noobs. Take it to the helpdesk :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gordon wrote:
    I don't think that works for non mods does it?

It works for me, too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think it works for subscribers aswell as mods

What about Blowfish? Unless he is a stealth sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

What about Blowfish? Unless he is a stealth sub.
    Nope, not yet anyway. Will be next month though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Maybe it now works for subscribers, as the most of you who said it works, has 4 red stars.

Gordon banned for duplicate account.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Hagar wrote:
    Could the old style "new posts" function be reinstated with a 25/50 post limit instead of the old 500 post limit? Possibly with a revisit time contraint?

I must be honest the I find the new one is of little value. The best it can do is find posts from yesterday. From a poster's point of view it is an irritation, from a mod's point of view it's totally frustrating as you can't get a real-time post activity picture. I have given up on it. I find myself going back to the home page www.boards.ie just to see the newest 25. I appreciate everybody concerned it giving it their all and I feel bad moaning about it.

Is the Old "new post" function gone for good now?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I wouldn't say for good. I'd say untill we get a new server.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i can use it. Its using the Boards Tracker instead of the vBulletin search. Much faster but doesnt give the Forum where the thread was posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Scruff wrote:
    i can use it. Its using the Boards Tracker instead of the vBulletin search. Much faster but doesnt give the Forum where the thread was posted.
    I agree. The only good thing to be said about it is that it's curing me of my boards addiction, like many others, I used the old new posts feature to browse.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The old new posts feature seemed to be doing a full table scan instead of using an descending index based on the post date/time. For anyone familiar with DBMS', the difference is like night and day between table scans and index usage when it comes to large transactional tables.

I'm not familiar with VB and if you can override the generated SQL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement