Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedigree dogs.... whats the point

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

well done shinners!!! im glad you can see the point!!! and i think that if more breeders could see past the noses on their faces we would have a brighter future for my fav animals!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

ok jules no prob i aint being pulled into argument about working dogs et.. tho cos i dont no anything about it im afraid.

ya i agree jules if IKC banned members from docking tails then it could wipe out the problem, i cant see it happening though ya no the legality of it and all that like how would it be banned do u no? the government or who would implememnt it?

think this is imporatant does anyone actually know hoew it becomes banned etc..

all i no is i dont dock my puppys tails and can post pics to prove it, i also advise ppl not to dock tails i mean i am trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Banning of docking tails:

In some countries it is actually part of the relevant animal issues legislation ..i.e. the governement bans it. Looking at the Irish laws as regards to animal welfare ...slim chance of that ever happening.

In some countries the equivalent organisations to the IKC have simply banned docked tails out of their breeding standards. Dogs born after a set date will not be allowed to breed or to be shown if their tails are docked. While this doesn't prevent Joe Public from dockign his/her own "property", it fairly quickly changes the picture that people have in their minds of how a certain breed should look. Very quickly the docked (and/or cropped) dog starts to look "wrong". So this prevents a lot of people from docking their animals.

I mean there are still a lot of people out there that actually think the likes of Rotties, Boxers or Dobies are actually born without tails and with pointy ears. Once they see and learn that that is not the case, attitudes will change.

standards,,, christ im a muppet!!!! sunday is not a good day for me!!!!!! here is a pic of the puppies by the way, all 10 are still going strong!!!!!

i dont know how it upload a pic!!! help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

go to manage attachemants and browse once youve em saved on computer jules.

ok peasant thanks for that. agree if IKC banned it would vastily reduce tail docking

• Advertisement

so can we say this topic is done!!!!! i hope so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I've been reading this and now I feel confused. The first dog I had wasn't kennel club registered or anything, but she was from a family friend and we knew it the dog's parents and everything.

The day before yesterday I went down to Limerick to pick up my new puppy - pedigree, kennel-club registered - and this is why I'm confused...

I bought this puppy from this particular family because the two families I know that took in animal shelter animals only had their respective animals for a short time; one family's kitten from the animal shelter had two days of good health and then died of Gastroentritis (I don't know how you spell it) that she had got at the centre and the other family's cat died of Aids it had contracted before life at the shelter.

I was under the impression that dogs that you buy from reputable families (not "puppy farms") are healthier than dogs from the rescue centre, and since we lost our last Lab so young, and it caused so much heartbreak in our house, we just wanted to have a good shot at good health and happiness and a long enough life with this Lab.

Was I wrong??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

Dinxminx wrote:

Was I wrong??

No, but as has already been pointed out, there is a great variance in the knowledge/care of staff handling animals whether in breeding environments or shelters. It seems a shame you had a double shot of animals being ill and (presumably) undiagnosed from shelters, but it could equally be the case that a (breeder) kennel became infected with something just before you took your dog and if so, this was also undetected at the time. However, any reputable breeder or shelter should contact you as soon as it was known.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

The standard test for FIV/FELV is only 5 Euros (rescue rate here). But alot of shelters don't do the test, I don't know why as FIV is on the rampage here in Ireland. :(

Advertisement