Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measuring Cups

• 24-06-2006 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I have been getting recipes off the net from US websites which give the measurments in cups. I was using a teacup from like a cup and saucer.

Unknown to me there are actually special cups you use for measuring with so I feel a bit stooopid. I was wondering why my apple crumble was too sweet and why there is a tiny bit of muesli in my bowl.

Can you buy those measuring cups in Ireland anywhere?? I really dont wanna buy a measuring scales as I dont have the storage space in my kitchen and besides I dont cook enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm sure you can get them here. You can also get them on eBay - from copper to stainless steel to Tupperware.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

you can often find conversion tables too for things like sugar/flour etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i seen some the other day in that shop homestore + more on the belgard road. they have sets of them and i dont recall them costing that much. all american recipies come in cups sizes. two cups (american) is the same as, 1lb (450g) butter or margerine 2 cups
    1lb (450g) flour 4 cups
    1lb granulated or caster sugar 2 cups
    1lb icing sugar (confectioners' sugar) 3 cups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

You'll kick yourself on this one :)

1) Go to www.google.com
    2) In the search box, type in what you want. For example : 3.5 cups in ml
    3) Hit enter.
    4) Kick yourself ;)

Google will convert almost anything to anything (as long as they're measures of the same type). So cups, fluid ounces, millilitres, pints....you name it, it'll swap one to the other. Same for weights, volumes, temperatures and so forth.

Gas Mark is about the only one I can think of that it appears not to understand.

Important: A cup is a unit of volume, not weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

You can get them super cheap in pound shop type places. There's a homeware place beside the entrance to M&S on Liffey st. that sells them if you're in the capital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

I was in Roches Stores yesterday and saw them, they are about €16.00 for a few of them all hooked up to eachother in various sizes and measurements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What bugs me about american recipies is when they say "2 sticks" of butter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

AFAIK a stick is 1/4 of a pound. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Tesco sell them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DrP

One thing to be careful of with measuring cups is that there are two different sizes - one is American and the other is Australian.

To the best of my knowledge the American one is 225ml and the Australian is 250ml.

Generally speaking though, for most recipes as long as you use the same measuring cup throughout (even if it's the good china tea-cup) it should work out fine.

One other tip - for measuring small quantities, if all else fails a baby's bottle makes a good measuring jug

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

Tesco sell them for €4.50.

click on pic to enlarge, and again to make clearer

dsc00467jx9.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

DrP wrote:
    One thing to be careful of with measuring cups is that there are two different sizes - one is American and the other is Australian.

To the best of my knowledge the American one is 225ml and the Australian is 250ml.

Generally speaking though, for most recipes as long as you use the same measuring cup throughout (even if it's the good china tea-cup) it should work out fine.

One other tip - for measuring small quantities, if all else fails a baby's bottle makes a good measuring jug
    i always thought the aussies used metric?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I got a dinkly little weighing scales in tesco I think a few years ago - it was intended for people on diets, but works perfectly for small amounts - I can't remember exactly what it weighs, but it stores itself in the dish for weighing the stuff - about 4x6 inches I'd guess altogether. It's very compact & if you could find one of those, it was invaluable when I was house sharing and had one press for everything. As I said I have mine a few years now, but it still works. I know I also got a cheap thing in Roches stores - it was (upside down) cone shaped that had cups, metric and imperial measurments on it & I'm sure it was cheap enough. Again I have it a while, but I think I've seen them in the 2euro shop recently enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

Tesco sell them for €4.50.
    PIC

Shoud add that these are metric cups, ie 1 cup = 250ml, as opposed to a US cup which is 236½ml.
    More info at: Online Conversion

Advertisement