Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving

Options
  • 24-06-2006 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

I was just wondering if any of you have repeated the leaving cert. I did the leaving first time around in 2004. I wanted to study medicine but fell short by 10 points (I got 560). I was semi interested in my next option (Veterinary) and took it. When I got my papers checked I found an error (forgotten question) that would have brought my A2 in Maths up to an A1. There was nothing the examiner could do as it looked like I hadnt even attempted to answer this question. I became so frustrated I couldnt bear to consider repeating over such a stupid mistake, chose Veterinary and moved on.

I now resent making that decision and dont think I could take another year of this course. I have no real interest in animals!! I know I would make a good Doctor and I think I will go back and do the leaving this September. Im planning on studying Chemistry, Biology, and Ag Science (due to my college education) and Maths and Applied Maths (because I like Maths... again:) ) and Im not sure what else yet, maybe business. Anyway, I was just wondering if theres anyone in a similar problem or anyone who feels that repeating is worth it/ not worth it in terms of better results

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

For your sixth subject and looking for an A1 I wouldn't go near the following:
    History, English, Economics, Home Ec, Business, any language, and to some extent, perhaps, geography.
    Why not choose physics or accounting?
    If you like maths and do applied maths physics is a logical choice surely?
    Accounting is also a good bet for an A1, but you'd want a very good teacher. Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Ya, this is where the CAO and LC systems become very cruel. i think you have no other choice but to repeat if it's medicine you really want to do.
    You should do Physics, definately because its very similar to Applied Maths.
    I also think Construction is quite easy (thoery wise). There is a project which takes up alot of time and effort but if you do that before Christmas it should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

whassupp2 wrote:
    I also think Construction is quite easy (thoery wise). There is a project which takes up alot of time and effort but if you do that before Christmas it should be grand.
    I would also agree to this, the theory is common knowledge(excluding u-vaules). I really wish I had started my con.st project from sep and not jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

I've just repeated for Medicine, having got 545 first time around, and I have no doubt it was the right decision. If I had gone on to do another course it would have been Science, which really doesn't interest me in the same way, and I would have been looking to get into a graduate entry medicine course down the line. You're feeling the same way, I'm guessing. I've heard that some professor of veterinary in Trinity (back in the 60s when Trinners still had a vet school) ended up going into the standard undergrad medicine course in his forties or fifties. If you really know what you want, then you might as well get on with it, rather than regretting a mistake in your Leaving Cert for the rest of your life. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard for you to get either, with 560 first time around and some Veterinary Medicine under your belt.

In terms of subjects, Chemistry, Biology and Ag Science all sound good (didn't do Ag Science myself but there is considerable overlap with Biology and Chemistry, and sure if you've been studying cow birthing etc all this time it'll be no bother!). I found Physics handy enough to cover in one year too.
    whassupp2 wrote:
    It is very straightforward theorywise, but the other 50% is for practical work and if you haven't done Construction/Woodwork before then it might be unnecessarily stressful to catch up on the basics as the project does take considerable time commitment.
    JCB wrote:
    For your sixth subject and looking for an A1 I wouldn't go near ... to some extent, perhaps, geography.
    I suggest reserving judgement on this new geography syllabus until we see this year's results. Really, no-one has a clue yet how they are going to mark it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

I would do physics but my old school (where hopefully I can repeat) has the same teacher for physics and chemistry and they have only taught chemistry instead of physics for the past few years. I dont know about doing it on my own that might be dodgy, cos arent there mandatory experiments the same as in chemistry?

As for construction I hadnt thought about it but is definitely worth looking into. I havent done it before but Im into engineering and that kind of thing (yes, a nerd)

Best of luck Kwekubo with your medicine application. I hope you get it, well done on going back otherwise you'd have regretted it (like me:o )

Just one more thing, does anyone know about a subject called Religious Education? I saw it on the current LC exams timetable and would be interested to find out more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Geography...I'd agree on waiting until the results are out, because to me it seems everyone did absolutely brilliant in it. Except everyone can't get A's.

Would you not think of going to the Institute to repeat?

And about repeating, I'll probably do it myself if I have to. I figure that it'll be crap the year you're doing it, but 10 or 15 years down the line an extra year of tests will be absolutely nothing to you, and you hopefully will be doing something you love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

Just one more thing, does anyone know about a subject called Religious Education? I saw it on the current LC exams timetable and would be interested to find out more

One of my freinds did it, from what i heard it was a lot of learning and a little thinking for yourself. Apparently it is very easy to get an honour in (although obviously you'd be aiming higher).

Personally I'd say have a look at what you're good at. if learning is your thing maybe business or something or if you're better at the reasoning I'd deffinitly advise accounting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

yep work hard at acc and its a gauranteed A. mite be a bit hard sqeezing it all in in 1 year though, but with loads of practise you should be sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

If you're wondering which subject to choose I'd say go for Business. Very easy subject and quite easy to get an A1 in. (obviously work is involed :D )

I repeated this year and I strongly recommend you to do a seventh subject. I did and at least that way you have a better chance at getting 600. You can afford to slip up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭blahblah1234

If you apply for the HEAR scheme and Higher Education Grants w/ free fees, and then because you don't get your first option, you decide to repeat the Leaving Cert. because of this would you still be eligible for the HEAR scheme and Higher Eduaction Grants w/ free fees by repeating the Leaving Cert. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

A lot of repeats do more than the six, more likely eight, because you're guaranteed one stinker of a paper.

Advertisement