Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Fans involved in clashes in Stuttgart

• 24-06-2006 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

Just watching Sky News there, there are clashes between English & German fans in Stuttgart...

Big Shock there!!! :eek:

It always makes me laugh when you hear English Players/Media, refer to their fans as the "best in the world"!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Did you see the old woman with the Lidl bag? haha class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The **** this england fans representive is coming out with is quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

Ah, now it really feels like a proper world cup. There's been something missing until now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

fade2black wrote:
    Did you see the old woman with the Lidl bag? haha class.

Yeah that was hilarious, she got caught right smack in the middle of it with her shopping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

bloody England fans just below 20% then
    are just hooligans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

bloody England fans
    most of them are just holigans

An alleged 100,000 or so voer there and a few hundred arrests obviously not all hooligans.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Actually most of them are not hooligans some of them are. There has been 3200 arrests so far this world cup, 130 are English.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

bloody England fans
    most of them are just holigans
    very ilinformed quote due to the number of "football fans" not holigans in Germany.
    seems like a 50/50 spilt to me so get it stright before you lable one set holigans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

just saw the news and it looked like the german fans started it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its madness!

They Germany police were advised not to let the english gather in town squares in large numbers. Looks like that went out the window.

Drink and mob mentality seems to rule there!

• Advertisement

Its hooligans! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mike65 wrote:
    Actually most of them are not hooligans some of them are. There has been 3200 arrests so far this world cup, 130 are English.

Mike.
    BBC wrote:
    The arrests on Friday night and in the early hours of Saturday more than doubled the number of UK citizens held so far during the World Cup.

Total arrests of all nationalities during the tournament stands at more than 4,000.

So 200 or so out of 4000, 5%...the brutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The threadis about clashes between england and german fans. Wheres all the "bloody german hooligans" rants. Or is it only the evil english that are capable and are fighting on their own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I got caught up on a train with england fans in Holland a few years ago and I can assure you it was not a nice experience. They were playing HOLLAND but the 50 or so that I had the misfortune to share a carraige with decided to sing "f**k the IRA" ...."no surrender" etc etc

There was ordinary decent dutch people on the train sh1tting themselves.
    Obviously all their fans aint like this but when they get into groups like they paint a bad picture for their bretheren.

Stekelly wrote:
    The threadis about clashes between england and german fans. Wheres all the "bloody german hooligans" rants. Or is it only the evil english that are capable and are fighting on their own?

From what I heard on Sky News, the German Fans started taunting the English fans who then retaliated with violence & thats when it all kicked off.

I'm sure they thought it was a good idea at the time (after a hard day's drinking!) but anyone arrested will not be released until Monday, missing tomorrows game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Lads you're all guessing at the moment as to what's happening....how many of those arrests were due to anything hooligan related?

Some of you seem fairly biased in your views towards English fans!

from the pictures i saw it seemed as though it was the German fans who started it....and one German fan hurled a chair into the England fans, was collared by the police and then they just left him. i bet that none of the English fans would be let go in similar fashion...

there are idiots out there no doubt in England shirts but a lot of you just assume its trouble coming from the English!!!

KdjaC wrote:
    An alleged 100,000 or so voer there and a few hundred arrests obviously not all hooligans.

Yeah, but remember the security operation involving the German & English police before the world cup.. anyone who had been previously known (or looked!) to be a hooligan were not allowed travel. And there was a mini riot in London after the screening of Englands opener on big screen in canary wharf.

Given their history you have to admit they are one of, if not the, worst behaved set of supporters.

rcs wrote:
    From what I heard on Sky News, the German Fans started taunting the English fans who then retaliated with violence & thats when it all kicked off.

On Friday, police had tried to move a group of drunken fans in the main square on Friday night who were said to have been singing songs insulting to Germans and other nationalities.

But the group refused to disperse and some threw bottles and chairs, as well as singing racist chants. One man has been charged with assault, after allegedly throwing a chair which hit a Tunisia fan.

No known troublemakers were among the mostly "preventative arrests".
    However, riot police have now created a wide gap between England and Germany fans in the city's main square after minor scuffles broke out on Saturday.

Correspondents said a few fans had started throwing chairs at each other.

Germany win

BBC News's Claire Heald said German fans were being moved out of the square following Germany's 2-0 win over Sweden but a small group had refused to move past a bar in which England supporters had gathered and riot police moved in.

She said 90% of the missiles thrown during the scuffle were thrown by Germany fans.

Police have stressed that the majority of the expected 60,000 England fans set to watch the game in Stuttgart had not caused authorities any problems.

That same report says that there have been over 4000 arrests at the World Cup so far, how come the only ones we've heard about have been the 5% who were England fans? Would that explain why English fans have such a "bad" name for themselves?

The only mention I've heard of non-English hooligans to date has been by Tom Humphries who shared a train with a gang of German hoolies according to his column in the Times last Monday.

To quote the Simpsons:

No-one who speaks German could be an evil man!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

I think the reason they are getting the (deserved) bad press is because no other country has spent as much effort as the English in trying to contain the problem (preventing a lot of them travelling, sending British cops over etc), and yet they are still managing to cause mayhem.

The only mention I've heard of non-English hooligans to date has been by Tom Humphries who shared a train with a gang of German hoolies according to his column in the Times last Monday.

sky news showed the trouble between the polish and german "fans" before their group match

Devious wrote:
    I think the reason they are getting the (deserved) bad press is because no other country has spent as much effort as the English in trying to contain the problem (preventing a lot of them travelling, sending British cops over etc), and yet they are still managing to cause mayhem.
    German authorities set up checks on national borders that normally are open. They welcomed 500 police from 13 countries - including about 80 from Britain and 50 from Poland who had the power to arrest their own nationals.

Source
    DORTMUND, Germany (AP) -- Five days of opening World Cup calm ended with a volley of bottles and chairs as dozens of German hooligans clashed with police Wednesday before their country's pivotal win over Poland.

For much of the day, German police worked with their counterparts from neighboring Poland to identify and arrest traveling troublemakers without incident. It was homegrown hooligans who lashed out about two hours before the late evening kickoff after police confronted them in a central square.

By the time rain began falling after midnight, police said they had arrested over 300 German and Polish hooligans -- at least 120 Germans in the central square.

The threat of fan violence had been a theme ahead of the monthlong soccer tournament. To head off trouble, authorities across Europe confiscated passports of known troublemakers, increased border patrols and drew up extensive policing plans for the dozen game cities.

Source

I think its ironic that one of the few countries to take hooliganism seriously (England leads the way in football policing IMO) gets it in the neck no matter what they do. More people were arrested in one day for the Germany-Poland game than have been arrested in the entire tournament from England. For the record again, English fans make up approx 5% of the number of arrests at this tournament, despite making up one of the largest contingents at the tournament.

We are predisposed in this country to view England fans as trouble makers. Germany, Poland, Holland, Italy, and Sweden can be as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

We are predisposed in this country to view England fans as trouble makers. Germany, Poland, Holland, Italy, and Sweden can be as bad.

Its actually the english media who love to give their own fans a load of stick and sky are always on hand to show the live pictures of them kicking off and then continue to repeat it 24/7 for the rest of the tornument nearly.

Englan fans have a history of causing trouble, its gonna to stay with them aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Its actually the english media who love to give their own fans a load of stick and sky are always on hand to show the live pictures of them kicking off and then continue to repeat it 24/7 for the rest of the tornument nearly.

Irish people on an Irish message board saying that the reputation is well deserved = Irish people predisposed to viewing English fans as troublemakers.

Tabloids thrive on the lurid and sensational, Sky News is no different. They blow all incidents way out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Who was the guy berating Sky for showing the violence on tv today? Was live as a phone in guest.

Obviuosly a student of the PL if it doesnt happen in the grounds it doesnt happen at all.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No great surprise that this has happened

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:

I am sure you do is Austria. Also most people here know about the trouble the germans and dutch cause. The polish are well known for it aswell. We cant leave out the italians or the turks either.

We rarely hear about these because we have no real interest in these countries. The english media will report their own fans causing toruble. Same as RTE would give alot more detail about irish fans cuasing trouble if we were at the WC and were involved in trouble.

Heaven forfend.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

rcs wrote:

I'm sure they thought it was a good idea at the time (after a hard day's drinking!) but anyone arrested will not be released until Monday, missing tomorrows game!

no it was the other way round i think.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1225768,00.html

most countries have them. english, german and dutch fans are always fighting with each other. isnt a proper tournament til this starts up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

daveirl wrote:

I know I ****ing do. :mad: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

rcs wrote:
    It always makes me laugh when you hear English Players/Media, refer to their fans as the "best in the world"!

It always makes me laugh when you hear Irish Players/Media, refer to their fans as the "best in the world"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Zebra3 wrote:
    It always makes me laugh when you hear Irish Players/Media, refer to their fans as the "best in the world"!

Yep, indeedy.............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Zebra3 wrote:
    Why? I personally believe we have the best travelling support in the world. It's also impossible to get tickets to a competitive home game if you're just an average punter. We break all kinds of records when it comes to largest set of travelling fans to one city and we have a tiny population.

Same goes for the Celtic fans who are not very liked by many on boards. 80,000 travelled to Seville for the UEFA cup final and there was 7 arrests.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife!*

*Or so I hear, as I'm not married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Had to laugh when i heard that old line "we wus pruvoked" ,many nations have hooligans but the enlgish are always involved when theres trouble(maybe its purely conincidental!!;) ) and yesterdays trouble is despite most hardcore hooligans being banned from travelling to germany and british police patrolling the streets with german police. I dont care what any one says the English have always been the main culprits when violence breaks out. Anyone remember landsdowne road 1995??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

eirebhoy wrote:
    Same goes for the Celtic fans who are not very liked by many on boards. 80,000 travelled to Seville for the UEFA cup final and there was 7 arrests.

Typical :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

eirebhoy wrote:
    Why? I personally believe we have the best travelling support in the world. It's also impossible to get tickets to a competitive home game if you're just an average punter. We break all kinds of records when it comes to largest set of travelling fans to one city and we have a tiny population.

so, are you saying that the scottish (celtic), or the irish are the best fans? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Travelling Celtic fans are pretty much the same as travelling Irish fans. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

heh - I guess your right, does that mean that the scottish Celtic fans are all tight though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Irish people on an Irish message board saying that the reputation is well deserved = Irish people predisposed to viewing English fans as troublemakers.
    Not really. Any other travelling supporters thrash our National Stadium other than the English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

BaZmO* wrote:
    Not really. Any other travelling supporters thrash our National Stadium other than the English?

What happened out in Santry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bluetonic wrote:
    What happened out in Santry?
    Touché!

Think you know what I meant though.

Advertisement