Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories

Options
  • 23-06-2006 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Just to let yas know lads, HMV have an offer at the minute where if you spend 33 euro in-store, you can get Liberty City Stories half price for 16.99.

It's also their June sale at the minute.

By the way, a full price comparison of all today's releases is up at http://www.irishgamer.ie/features.php?id=1&page=1. We thought its something that people would be interested in and are doing it each week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Or if you don't want to spend >€33 in HMV, it's ~€18.90 from SendIt.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

is this the PSP or PS2 Version. Because Rockstar said they were doing a budget on the PS2 version. Meh I only ever get the PC releases anyway was just interested. (clicky on my sig btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Jakkass wrote:
    is this the PSP or PS2 Version. Because Rockstar said they were doing a budget on the PS2 version. Meh I only ever get the PC releases anyway was just interested. (clicky on my sig btw)

It's the PS2 version. The budget price is about 32 or 29.99 in most places but it's half price in this offer.

Irish Gamer should really do comparisons on online stores as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Jakkass wrote:
    Irish Gamer should really do comparisons on online stores as well.

We hope to do that in future too. Just concentrating on getting a comparison of all the brick and mortar shops up and running first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

hmm i may get that. i have more sopranos to be buying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got GTA LCS yesterday for the PS2, not having played the PSP version and looking forward to revisiting Liberty City and Wow, this game sucks, the graphics are awful, the whole package feels cheap.
    It feels as if the last 6 years never happened for Rockstar, as the textures, shading, shadows seem as they were in GTAIII.
    Now I know this is a conversion from the PSP but one could have expected that if they were going to push another chapter of the GTA universe at us that they would have at least brought the game up to PS2 standards, current PS2 standards that is.
    I popped on Driver Parallel Lines just to see what can be done with the now aging hardware and that game plays and looks so much better, vehicles and characters looking far far better, missions are standard enough fare but done so well you don't mind.
    In fact the only thing I like about GTA over Driver PL is the mini map onscreen and the sense of humour, which was, in the main, missing from GTA SA anyway.
    While I grew to dislike GTA SA I couldn't believe how jaded this offering from Rockstar was.
    Despite its cheap price point, please avoid this pile of crap, just buy Driver PL instead, you should be able to pick it up 2nd hand by now for the same price, a much much better investment of your money imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Odd im loving it, done nearly all the early missions just one or 2 more for Sal then im off to the next part.

Never noticed the graphics, they never bother me the game is far more important and its GTA but like a small one.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Got GTA LCS yesterday for the PS2, not having played the PSP version and looking forward to revisiting Liberty City and Wow, this game sucks, the graphics are awful, the whole package feels cheap.
    It feels as if the last 6 years never happened for Rockstar, as the textures, shading, shadows seem as they were in GTAIII.
    Now I know this is a conversion from the PSP but one could have expected that if they were going to push another chapter of the GTA universe at us that they would have at least brought the game up to PS2 standards, current PS2 standards that is.
    I popped on Driver Parallel Lines just to see what can be done with the now aging hardware and that game plays and looks so much better, vehicles and characters looking far far better, missions are standard enough fare but done so well you don't mind.
    In fact the only thing I like about GTA over Driver PL is the mini map onscreen and the sense of humour, which was, in the main, missing from GTA SA anyway.
    While I grew to dislike GTA SA I couldn't believe how jaded this offering from Rockstar was.
    Despite its cheap price point, please avoid this pile of crap, just buy Driver PL instead, you should be able to pick it up 2nd hand by now for the same price, a much much better investment of your money imho.

Wow... Weren't you preaching about how irrelevant graphics are in the Nintendo forum?

That said I wouldn't really see the appeal of a PS2 version - by far the best thing about the game is the wi-fi modes. The single player doesn't add anything new - but then you shouldn't really expect it to, it's a budget game and it does still have the great core gameplay and freedom that makes GTA what it is. GTA has never ever been about graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

I dunno really, to be honest Im just finding it to be so so, I mean the bikes dont even lean when cornering in first person view, the hobos in the tunnel are gone, for no apperant reason. It just seems a little lazy, I know its just a conversion but Ive come to expect more from rockstar over the years than this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I dont think the conversion was done by rockstar and it actually looks worse than the psp version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

This game is a feckin disaster, The controls suck, the graphics suck, the loading times suck, the quality of the games build is terrible, it takes to long to load, the frame rate is hideous,

It's just terrible.

I have fond memories of vice city, but after getting used to HD gaming with xbox360, this game is just pure filth. People will argue that the gameplay for gta is what it's all about, but this game should never have made it off the psp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lol guess pretty games are all people want. There no loading times, game starts and thats it not one loading bar ?

Stayed up till 5am last night playing with mates in the oul Mission for Mission Mp mode.

Its GTA it looks crap and the controls are GTA , the game follows the exact same formula as all the others. And it does it quite nicely, even down to the how the hell did that happen style crashes :D

Its GTA and damn good if you like GTA.

kdjac

I loved vice city, I loved vice city even more when I fell in love with it again on the xbox, (much faster loading times, waaaay better controls, sharper graphics) It just pains me to see the "new" GTA in the state it's in.

Compare it to any other recent ps2 games, like sotC, or resi4 and it's just horrible.

And this is coming from someone who stills plays mgs1 on the ps1, so cant really argue I care about graphics tbh.

GTA is about gameplay not graphics imho, Vice City Stories is next up for release, then GTA IV will be on PS3 and Xbox 360, can't complain about that. GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas have used a similar engine hence why their releases were so close to eachother.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I loved vice city,

Did you love any of the other GTA games?

I’ve found that fans of VC aren’t always fans of the rest of the games, including or excluding pre-GTA 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

For anyone that thinks that GTA was ever concerned with top-notch graphics, take a look at this:

http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~shio/gta/gta1/screenshots.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

For anyone that thinks that GTA was ever concerned with top-notch graphics, take a look at this:

http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~shio/gta/gta1/screenshots.html

God I fúcking loved that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Same here. Its absolutely brilliant. The second one was good as well. You could bring cars to the docks to crush them and you'd get rewards for them.

ie if you brought a cop car to be crushed, you'd get a police bribe, if you brought another type of car, you'd get machine guns. Must dig it up and give it a go.

EDIT: Both of those games are available for free too, completely legit. Rockstar made them available as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

qz wrote:
    God I fúcking loved that game.
    Me too. Looking at the screenshots brought back lots of memories. I think I must have over played it though - I was able to recognise most of the areas in the shots and how to get there :D

GTA2 was fun also, but not as good as the first game IMO.

• Advertisement

I've just got the PS2 version of LCS today, and now I’m confused about where the awful graphics are.

It's £14.99 delivered on play.com! Were not talking about a full priced game here.

monument wrote:
    I've just got the PS2 version of LCS today, and now I’m confused about where the awful graphics are.

It's £14.99 delivered on play.com! Were not talking about a full priced game here.

Have you played any recent ps2 games?? :confused: The graphics are very dated, and sure it has the same old great gta gameplay, but its such a cheap port! It looks, and feels icky.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    hmm i may get that. i have more sopranos to be buying

Dony buy it, it's muck, cheap nasty port.

Have you played any recent ps2 games?? :confused: The graphics are very dated, and sure it has the same old great gta gameplay, but its such a cheap port! It looks, and feels icky.

Yes, if it's a cheap port it's at a cheap price, I'm not saying the graphics are great, but they're also not awful.

Maybe you’re using a larger/better TV that shows up the graphic flaws more, or maybe you rate graphs higher then myself and have a lower threshold of what is awful???

Added: To take one of your examples of better graphics in newer games, I hardly think creating the vastly empty environments of the full price game SotC compares to the city environment of LC at a cut price. The way it was portrayed here I expected much worse graphics
    Dony buy it, it's muck, cheap nasty port.

If you're a GTA fan, at less then 20 euro online, it's worth it.

Threads merged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I have been a GTA fan and it all just seems to have been ignorant of the various improvements in PS2 software since GTA3 was released, regarding graphics, my point there is that you don't have to be a slave to the next gen sheen that they insist on mapping onto every on screen polygon these days but that said standards have gone up, we should expect that in the years since GTA3 that the game should look better, should play better etc, GTALCS doesn't, yet the competition Driver Parallel Lines does, its as if having relieved themselves in my PS2 with Driver3 they took a long hard look at the genre and made the best game they could with current tech and came up with Driver PL, GTA on the other hand seems to have gotten lazy since VC, SA to bloated and LCS seeming like cheapest cash in, the defintion of a lazy port.
    Just imagine all the GTA fans running out and spending 30 euro on it, at least when you buy it in an Irish shop you can return it for something else.

GTA LCS was a quick port over from the PSP thats it. GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas all use the same game engine. This shall be improved at the time of the GTA IV release. Rockstar have done a good job in order to give us good features and gameplay. It isnt all about graphics tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

lets not forget here... the next gta is called gta 4.... which implies a new turn of events and styles. gta 3 was released years ago with vice city and san andreas being huge add-ons. gta 4 will be somethin new a different. otherwise it would be called gta 6.

at least i hope... the cant just discount the first two games. i enjoyed them more tbh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It seems to be everytime they change engine, they take a new number.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Well, I have been a GTA fan and it all just seems to have been ignorant of the various improvements in PS2 software since GTA3 was released, regarding graphics, my point there is that you don't have to be a slave to the next gen sheen that they insist on mapping onto every on screen polygon these days but that said standards have gone up, we should expect that in the years since GTA3 that the game should look better,

Taking all the games into account, GTA has rarely measured up to high end graphics of the day. And this release is less then 20 euro online on day one – take it like an expansion pack not a new game.
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    should play better etc, GTALCS doesn't, yet the competition Driver Parallel Lines does,

Play better then Driv3r (sic)??? - now I haven’t played Driv3r, but I’m led to believe it was muck, so, for the new one to be better it wouldn’t take much of a leap.
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    its as if having relieved themselves in my PS2 with Driver3 they took a long hard look at the genre and made the best game they could with current tech and came up with Driver PL

Again, it appears after number three, they had no choice but to take a ‘long hard look’.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    GTA on the other hand seems to have gotten lazy since VC, SA to bloated

On PS2, the critics, generally speaking, evenly praise SA and VC (Metacrtic.com rates both evenly). And with any one person who preferred the Miami Vice like setting of VC, another may prefer the “black culture” of SA.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    and LCS seeming like cheapest cash in, the defintion of a lazy port.
    Just imagine all the GTA fans running out and spending 30 euro on it, at least when you buy it in an Irish shop you can return it for something else.

At less then 20 euro online or 30 euro and return off line, it’s worth it

It’s been argued that price must reflect content, equally evaluation of content must take a count of price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

It goes GTA, GTA II, GTA: London, GTA III, GTA: Vice City, GTA: San Andreas, GTA 4

GTA 4 will be a new engine. New game.

Advertisement