Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help/ideas to build a stage

Options
  • 24-06-2006 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I need help/ideas to build a stage a primary school.

Without the help of kadman, my leaving cert woodwork skills will be tested big time, but if anyone knows of any diy woodwork sites that can give me ideas for one. It has to be big enough to host xmas plays etc, but flexible enough to be stored away when not used. Obviously it needs to be safe.

Would chipboard be suitable as a surface or would mdf be better?

I'm starting to throw a few ideas down on paper...obviously it would need to be at least 3-4' high with stairs access from each side and strong enough to hold at least a few 100kg's with it being in different sections.

A lot to ask, but the school is only new and is badly in need of funding and anything the parents can do to help out is all the better. We have until xmas to get this sorted.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I need help/ideas to build a stage a primary school.

Without the help of kadman, my leaving cert woodwork skills will be tested big time, but if anyone knows of any diy woodwork sites that can give me ideas for one. It has to be big enough to host xmas plays etc, but flexible enough to be stored away when not used. Obviously it needs to be safe.

Would chipboard be suitable as a surface or would mdf be better?

I'm starting to throw a few ideas down on paper...obviously it would need to be at least 3-4' high with stairs access from each side and strong enough to hold at least a few 100kg's with it being in different sections.

A lot to ask, but the school is only new and is badly in need of funding and anything the parents can do to help out is all the better. We have until xmas to get this sorted.

Well for gods sake Lex, how are we supposed to build this thing, without a floor size. You have only given the height.:)

Hurry now, I wont be hanging around here too long, other sites to see you know:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kadman wrote:
    Well for gods sake Lex, how are we supposed to build this thing, without a floor size. You have only given the height.:)

Hurry now, I wont be hanging around here too long, other sites to see you know:D :D
    How big is a stage in a school for primary kids?

I'm guessing but I'll get proper sizes at the next meeting but probably 30' wide x 25' deep. PM me your email address if you decide to ride off into the sunset.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    How big is a stage in a school for primary kids?

I'm guessing but I'll get proper sizes at the next meeting but probably 30' wide x 25' deep. PM me your email address if you decide to ride off into the sunset.

Hi lex

Thats a huge area to make demountable sections out of.

What size of storage area, do you have when the stage is not in use.

8x4 3' high rectangular block sections would be the most obvious. Like kiddies building blocks for adults. Easy to assemble, disassemble (sp). But the storage may be an issue. Of course the design may be an issue with regards to insurance as well. It all depends on the storage area.

Well I will be here for a short while at the moment , When rooferpete can get banned without a right to reply, anyone can. Thats me probably banned now for going ot, it will warrant an edit anyway. Yeah will pm ok.

kadman

kadman wrote:
    Hi lex

Thats a huge area to make demountable sections out of.

What size of storage area, do you have when the stage is not in use.

8x4 3' high rectangular block sections would be the most obvious. Like kiddies building blocks for adults. Easy to assemble, disassemble (sp). But the storage may be an issue. Of course the design may be an issue with regards to insurance as well. It all depends on the storage area.

Well I will be here for a short while at the moment , When rooferpete can get banned without a right to reply, anyone can. Thats me probably banned now for going ot, it will warrant an edit anyway. Yeah will pm ok.

kadman
    8x4 ft sections would be the most cost effective...possibly 2' or 4' high aswell with minimum waste on the sheet wood. So we are looking at 24 blocks in total for a 32x24ft stage. Wife will be talking to the principal during the week and get dimensions for stage & storage. Should know more by end of week.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    8x4 ft sections would be the most cost effective...possibly 2' or 4' high aswell with minimum waste on the sheet wood. So we are looking at 24 blocks in total for a 32x24ft stage. Wife will be talking to the principal during the week and get dimensions for stage & storage. Should know more by end of week.

Hi lex,

That will be some a mount of material sheets.

Connectivity from block to blockis attained by offsetting the top sheet, half the thickness of the stud, to the left and away from you. This gives you a reabated effect, where you screw the sheet of block a to the stud of block b. Probably 3 screws on the side, and 2 on the 4' edge.

5 to connect block to block. has to be secure , and solid of course.

YOU NEED TO CONFIRM THIS TYPE OR SIMILAR CONSTRUCTION WITH THE SCHOOL INSURANCE BEFORE YOU COMMENCE BUILDING THIS. An engineers cert may be required for it.

You cannot leave yourself open to claims regarding poor construction of this project.

kadman

• Advertisement

kadman wrote:
    Hi lex,

That will be some a mount of material sheets.

Connectivity from block to blockis attained by offsetting the top sheet, half the thickness of the stud, to the left and away from you. This gives you a reabated effect, where you screw the sheet of block a to the stud of block b. Probably 3 screws on the side, and 2 on the 4' edge.

5 to connect block to block. has to be secure , and solid of course.

YOU NEED TO CONFIRM THIS TYPE OR SIMILAR CONSTRUCTION WITH THE SCHOOL INSURANCE BEFORE YOU COMMENCE BUILDING THIS. An engineers cert may be required for it.

You cannot leave yourself open to claims regarding poor construction of this project.

kadman
    Gotcha Kadman...so you suggesting connecting them together by screwing them together while being used and remove the screws for storage? I'd rather thay had clips of some sort.

I'll get the missus to talk to the principal regarding the insurance issue.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Gotcha Kadman...so you suggesting connecting them together by screwing them together while being used and remove the screws for storage? I'd rather thay had clips of some sort.

I'll get the missus to talk to the principal regarding the insurance issue.

I suppose clips are an option

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Hey Lex
    Most schools have permanent stages. This is down to two factors already mentioned 1. Storage 2. Solidity of construction. Those with a permanent stage can also use the understage for storage of materials used in xmas plays etc. Storage really is limited in schools! A few schools prefer to lose the stage and construct a seating rig instead which allows the audience to see all the action taking place in front of them. Schools with a large hall would go for this method. Seating rigs can usually be left in the hall to be used for other purposes e.g. school photos, choirs, assemblies, general seating (they are used a lot in post primary convent schools where the pupils are very well behaved. Knowing my little lad he would use it as a climbing frame which is not a good idea). Again, the same issues apply. If members of the public and children use it then you really have to have it covered by insurance. The ideal method is one that is highly adaptable and which takes up as little storage space as possible. I have seen a few stages similar to Kadmans idea of building blocks and they work very well where the schools can store them. I did see a foldable stage once and that was pretty cool. Each "block" had collapsible legs on hinges which meant that they were just folded up and put away when not in use. When the legs were opened they were held in place by being clipped or pin hinged to the leg of the "blocks" adjacent to it. Hope it goes well

I suppose the most important thing is the construction method used.

While cue is perfectly correct, collapsible units could be made. The insurance may be more inclined to se a solid form of construction. Whether it be solid section blocks , or a complete stage.

The trouble with collapsible platforms , is that insurance companies will probably be worried , about the word collapsible and children in the one sentence.

Just a thought.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

I'm a primary school teacher. We have a collapsible stage in our school. It comes in 10 separate sections. We have a room designated for its storage.

It takes two people to assemble it and it's hard work to do so. I'd say our poor ol' caretaker hates it when he hears that I'm putting on another play!

But I digress. This stage was purchased (as opposed to home-made) and I know it was very costly. I'll see what information I can get for you and it might give you some ideas for your project.

• Advertisement

Chocolate wrote:
    I'm a primary school teacher. We have a collapsible stage in our school. It comes in 10 separate sections. We have a room designated for its storage.

It takes two people to assemble it and it's hard work to do so. I'd say our poor ol' caretaker hates it when he hears that I'm putting on another play!

But I digress. This stage was purchased (as opposed to home-made) and I know it was very costly. I'll see what information I can get for you and it might give you some ideas for your project.
    We won't know now until Sep what the budget is for it, so I have a few months to plan it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I saw some stuff on www.stagesystems.co.uk that looks like what you could be after. Its called Multi-Dek but i imagine that it is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I would advise using a staging system called Steeldeck.
    Google it and you will find loadsa info on it. Its a pro range of staging that is certified. Hand made staging tends to be heavy and awkard to move. Those folding stages that are found in some schools and hotels are a nightmare. Theyre heavey, awkward to setup, and will take your fingers when youre not looking. The steeldeck is also available with aluminum frames, uses 2" piping as legs and so is customisable to the users needs. Also be aware of fire certification for staging materials. I know its only a primary school but if something goes wrong I dont think you want to be the guy that built the stage.

Just a few thoughts on the matter

Dave_W

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

I asked the principal and he said our school stage cost about €12000. That was about 3 years ago so it's probably more expensive now. (I know you're not looking to buy one but I'm just trying to give you a guide.)

The supplier was SP Sports, based on Nangor Road. He showed me a catalogue but as you can imagine, going by the name, it was full of sports equipment for schools. There weren't any stages in the catalogue.

Stages must be just another part of their range.

I thought I might be of more help to you. Sorry.

Advertisement