Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIP and STRIP

Options
  • 24-06-2006 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

Anyone know somewhere to get wood dipped and stripped? its usaully done on doors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Hmm Im not 100% sure but there is a place up in Ballymount Industrial estate,cant think of the name off hand right now.Maybe try the yellow pages. Just to say also what type of doors or whatever your getting dipper are?

Sometimes the caustic solution can soften glue that holds doors/wood together.A builder I used to work for got his doors dipped.These were the original doors as he put it in his house,they came from being dipped with the main panels being just a ply(Had to laugh) as he thought they were solid wood like the rest of the door.

Well to my point,he wanted to stain doors but since the main panels were a type of ply we had to paint them white(because the ply looked shite).After some priming the doors still looked in a worse state before they were dipped. If you are getting it done be sure to let the doors fully dry out and that the Caustic solution is throughly washed away.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

mad m wrote:
    Hmm Im not 100% sure but there is a place up in Ballymount Industrial estate,cant think of the name off hand right now.Maybe try the yellow pages. Just to say also what type of doors or whatever your getting dipper are?

Sometimes the caustic solution can soften glue that holds doors/wood together.A builder I used to work for got his doors dipped.These were the original doors as he put it in his house,they came from being dipped with the main panels being just a ply(Had to laugh) as he thought they were solid wood like the rest of the door.

Well to my point,he wanted to stain doors but since the main panels were a type of ply we had to paint them white(because the ply looked shite).After some priming the doors still looked in a worse state before they were dipped. If you are getting it done be sure to let the doors fully dry out and that the Caustic solution is throughly washed away.

As always Madm, priceless advice,

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Ah Im sure you could of explained it better Kadman.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

mad m wrote:
    Ah Im sure you could of explained it better Kadman.

Thanks

Rooferpete would have made it poetry though.;)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you are in North Dublin - Delvin Antiques just outside Balbriggan can dip doors. Cost around €50 per door a couple of years ago when I got it done.
    If you need directions let me know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement