Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is raw cane sugar?

• 24-06-2006 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I have a book that tells me to use 'raw cane sugar' as one of the ingredients in quite a few of the recipes.

What is raw cane sugar? Is it different to the 'normal' bags of Siucra sugar that you'd buy from the supermarket?! And if so, where do you get it from?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

raw sugar is unprocessed. brown sugars such as demarera and muscuvado would be unprocessed, or less processed at any rates. brown sugars usually have a stronger flavour than the processed boring white table sugar.

depending on the recipe you should pick up some dark or light brown sugar (eg. dark for ginger cakes, light for my marvellous peanut butter cookies :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

Ah yes, that makes sense. Don't know why it didn't occur to me that it could mean brown sugar considering the types of recipes involved. Doh!
    Tree wrote:
    my marvellous peanut butter cookies :D)

Yum yum, they sound lovely! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Preheat oven to 180 deg (190 if you are blind like me!)

(this is a half recipe, just double everyting if ya want)

Cream together 2oz marg and 2 oz light muscovado sugar
    Add 2ox peanut butter and mix
    Add 2 tblspoons golden syrup and mix (i use half maple golden syrup and half regular golden syrup)
    Add half tblspoon milk and mix
    Add 4oz flour and mix

(if ya want ad some choc chips!)

put blobs on a greased tray (spoonfuls) they spread massively so use two trays

bake for 12 mins approx

theyll crispen on cooling

Gorgeous with a mug of milk

Advertisement