Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT speed..

• 24-06-2006 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

I've got the 3mb package with BT and luckily I've never had any problems with it, until now that is. My internet speed lately has been atrocious. I've attached a speedtest image. I live in Ashbourne, Co.Meath. Is anyone else having problems? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Reset and reconfigure your Router.
    Then dl this test file off BT's network - www.url.ie/qv/
    Whats the transfer rate you get?

It should steady to 300k+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Sparko

I'm using the modem that BT provided, it's a Zyxel Prestige 630. Don't know if that's good or not, it has been reliable so far anyway. In the past I would have got speeds of over 200k, but tonight that file was downloading at around 70k, which is higher than it has been for a while to be honest, but still nothing special. Could it be a problem with the modem?

The P630 is a usb modem.
    What speed does it connect at?

Also are you using any extension equipment etc?
    There should also be a little icon in the system tray (green i think) like a globe.
    That should tell you the sync speed 2048, 1024 etc. What does that tell ya?

It's probably be easier to screenshot it :)

Connects at 3.0Mbps, when I hover over the globe I get the information in the attached screenshot. The modem is connected to the computer with the standard usb lead that came with it. I hope I don't have to ring BT, I've heard horror stories about their customer support..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 navanman2003

Hi Sparko and I'm in the same boat as you.
    I live in Ongar, Clonee and since last week my broadband download speed has been terrible. Im on the 3MB top package and my download speed is coming in at 300k, around 40K/sec, my upload speed is unaffected.
    I use my own router but have tried my my parents Zwxel BT router, filter and phone cable with the same problems.
    This problem sounds more widespread than a DSLAM exchange issue, maybe fiber backbone issue??

My friend also in Clonee on the BT 2MB package, his download speed is down to ISDN speed, terrrible..

I logged a fault on the BT website today, better than ringing them anyway..

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply navanman. Seems to be a localised problem so, hopefully BT does something about this soon. I'll go and log a fault as well.Let me know if you hear anything from them and I'll keep you updated if I hear anything.

Cheers for helping out Diabolus, much appreciated.

Yeah no bother .. since both of you are having the same issue i recommend you ring BT and report the broadband fault. Get a Fault number or something off them and post it up here so the other 2 can call in and report the same issue as you. Thats how i dealt with NTL anyways and it worked .. eventually.... :eek:

Man if that worked i'd eat a cow.
    Worth a try though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Three 3mb package S/w dublin. Issues with downloads. In particular stuff outside of Ireland. I think their backbone providers are bogged down. Complained but got hung up on (was actually nice to the guy but he wasnt having any of it). Mad, never had that treatment before! Needless to say not a happy customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

I'm in Ashbourne as well, been getting really bad speeds since last week. It recovered a bit at the weekend, but it's been really bad for the last 2 days.

IrishISPTest shows my download speed much lower than my upload, and a QoS of 4% :eek:

Ringing them tomorrow...

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nr2

I'm in ongar, clonee too and it's been poor for over a week.

I've the 3mb/384kb BT broadband deal and my download speed is less than half my upload speed! It's been this way for well over a week now.

I've logged a fault with them and we'll see what happens.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 furfas

I live and work in Ashbourne. I have a 5meg Eircom connection at work and 2meg with BT at home. In both cases they have been really slow all week. Reported the Eircom one twice this week but they say everything tests okay. Then again they would say that:mad:

I've been emailing BT for a few days and the latest reply was:
    I have now logged your problem as a slow speeds fault with reference number <mod edit>. A small number of other customers have reported a similar issue. I will keep you informed of any updates as they arise.

Hopefully something is done soon.

I've been onto BT T/S by email since Tuesday and after making me do some useless ping, tracert and netstat tests and speed test off irishisptest they logged a fault today.
    Here is the blurb:

Dear David,

I have logged your slow speeds issue as a fault with reference number <mod edit>.
    I will keep you informed of any updates as they arise.

In the meantime we appreciate your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,
    <mod edit> | Residential Technical Support | BT Ireland | residentialsupport@btireland.ie | 1890 923 111

My speed seems to have picked up today, I'm getting 300K download speed of heanet ftp.

Has anybody got any update on this?

I logged a fault with BT yesterday too, got the usual stuff about resetting DSL line, how many phone lines in house etc. Still no change and transfer speed is as bad as ever.

I can't believe there aren't more people affected if this is an exchange-level problem.

B.

I believe its a contention, capacity issue. I would guess that the Clonee and Ashbourne is close to or overcapacity, bandwidth allocated.
    Sweet f all u/i can do about it.
    I'm not puting up with it for much longer, im not paying €40/month for less than 1M speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I am also in Ashbourne, paying for a 3mb service and getting rubbish DL speeds for the last week or so.

I have logged a fault with BT and had a line test doen to say all clear at my end.
    Below is my fault number so feel free to quote this and maybe we can get this crap fixed.

1-326565158 My name is Darren Brooks

Cheers Brookie. If enough people complain they might notice the elephant in the living room...

Navanman, how could it be contention all of a sudden? With 24:1 ratio (supposedly) how can my service suddenly be consistently this bad?

This problem is doing my head in. I can't believe I'm paying for broadband and getting speeds that are not much better than dial-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sparko wrote:
    I've got the 3mb package with BT and luckily I've never had any problems with it, until now that is. My internet speed lately has been atrocious. I've attached a speedtest image. I live in Ashbourne, Co.Meath. Is anyone else having problems? Any advice?
    anyone else find it strange how his upload speed is faster than his download speed or is that normal in some cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

I recently posted about slow download speeds in the Birr area. I have Digiweb's 4MB and only get around 700-900kbp/s during the day and half this in the evening.

I asked a client who is on Eircom's 3MB package on the same exhange to run irishisptest at the exact same time as myself.

I got 848kbp/s while they got 2.51MB/s ...

Conspiracy theories start to formulate ...

Might be worth you guys doing the same

Oh, and what did I get in the post this morning? A leaflet from Eircom to switch to Eircom BB :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Gosh wrote:
    I have Digiweb's 4MB and only get around 700-900kbp/s during the day and half this in the evening.

I asked a client who is on Eircom's 3MB package on the same exhange to run irishisptest at the exact same time as myself.

I got 848kbp/s while they got 2.51MB/s ...

Conspiracy theories start to formulate ...
    Do a traceroute to irishisptest and compare the results that the eircom guy gets.

i have just got a call from BT support after a complaint to Comreg and they have told me anybody on the BT sergice having issues in Ashbourne or surrounding areas are to log the call ASAP and use the ref number i posted on the 1st page of this thread. This will be in hope of getting it fixed ASAP

Just got an update on this from BT 5 people have reported this as an error in Ashbourne and as such the case has been elevated to a global problem?!?!?!

In any case they seem to be moving in the right direction for a resolution soon

I've heard nothing back from BT about speeds issues in the Clonee, Dublin 15 area.
    BrookieD, did you ring BT for an update or have they been coming back to you?
    My fault number is 1-328007713.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm on the Ashbourne exchange too. I've noticed the slow speeds also - how does one lodge a complaint?

I'm on the Ashbourne exchange too. I've noticed the slow speeds also - how does one lodge a complaint?

I went to this site: www.btireland.ie/help and clicked 'Ask a question', registered an account and then reported my problem.

The BT homepage,http://home.btireland.ie/echannel/BT.portal, has a link called report a fault, and I assume that can also be used, but to register to use that service you need to have your account number and I don't have that on hand. But if you do, you could probably use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Thanks, forgot about that login.

I went to BT to log this last week. I then set an email to follow up with a complaint to Comreg and since then i have had calls each evening.

Again the more people who use my fault number and complain the quicker they will sort this out. :-) good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16 furfas

I logged a call to the reference number on page 1 as well. I was told that they had 'a list' of calls from the area and were giving it priority. I was told to leave my router switched on 24 hours and they took my mobile no to ring to get me to check the speed. So far no calls but they do seem to be taking it seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redmac68

I've had BT broadband for more than a year .. no problems until the last week or so. Now almost unuseable due to huge timeouts/delays .. can be minutes before web pages appear. Router diagnostics indicate that it is happy with line and that 2M is available. Anyone got similar problems in Baldoyle/Sutton?

Advertisement