Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT speed..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nr2

I've been talking to BT about it and they're quite helpful. They think that there is a problem with the Clonee and Ashbourne exchanges as there's a few people suffering from slow connections. Eircom aren't being too responsive in investigating and seem to be only checking the lines between the houses and the exchanges(thats my take on it - not BT's).

What they need is everyone who is having a problem to log a fault.
    Go to http://www.irishisptest.com/ and http://u.tv/speedtest and test your line.

If it's not as fast as it should be - log a fault. You can do this on the BT website: http://btireland.custhelp.com or you can phone them on 1904.

Hopefully we'll get something sorted out soon.

It could be that the exchanges are over capacity or somethings misconfigured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

On the ashbourne exchange also... similar to other have notice over the last week that the speeds weren't as fast as normal, but last night was just terrible. Tried the utv speed test and was coming back at between 112kbit and 130kbit!

So today went to my bt a/c to report the fault, after loggin in, clicked on report a fault and got "Sorry, you do not have any products with which to log a fault."

_bangs head on desk_ :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Give them a ring instead decob. I got a phone call today from BT. They got me to do a few speed tests and asked me to let them know if neighbours are having similar problems etc. The guy dealing with the Ashbourne problem is called Conor, so see if you can talk to him. He said he'd three complaints already. The more the merrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Give them a ring instead decob. I got a phone call today from BT. They got me to do a few speed tests and asked me to let them know if neighbours are having similar problems etc. The guy dealing with the Ashbourne problem is called Conor, so see if you can talk to him. He said he'd three complaints already. The more the merrier.

Did end up ringing em, so have to check it out again this evening and do some tests for them... disconnect all phone lines for 15min, check router and speedtest from the wallsocket minus filter etc...

What speeds are people getting atm when they try out the speedtest and utv speedtest?. I'm on the 3m package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Sparko

I got the same call. It's good to see that they're taking the problem seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭whimsey

I wasnt in today and conor left me two voicemails. He said I was
    the 4th fault and he was looking to get a fifth person for some
    reason. Guess this is the threshold for the techies to take the
    issue seriously.

Whimsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I have been speaking to Ross in Bt and they already had 5 confired reports on Ashbourne. Seems like the Agents are not talking to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Crazy Pet

Hi I live in the Ashbourne area, and like the other people on the forum have reported my slow speed broadband problem approx. three weeks ago and again about a week ago.
    The BT guy called Connor rang me and confirmed my slow Broadband plus speed I'm on the 3m package, he said that they "BT" had already gotten enough info from customers in Ashbourne, and that they were working on the problem but when asked what the problem was he was unable to tell me. I like many others strongly believe its an exchange problem.:mad:
    How much longer must this continue before we can expect the service we are paying for to be restored. I have reported by phone & by email.
    If I lodge a complaint with BT's customer service dept. asking for a free or heavily discounted billing period for the time I have spent as a broadband plus customer receiving dial up speed service, do you guys think it will focus them on fixing the problem more rapidly. ;)
    Are BT's Business Package broadband customers suffering slow broadband speeds in these areas.:confused:
    I would love to change my ISP but if the problem is exchange based would it solve anything as I would like to continue receiving internet services via phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Connection speed still as bad as ever.

Got my call from Connor who seems to be on the case ok in BT.

As this is Week 3, going on Week 4 that this problem has existed, I do wonder if it's time for a complaint to be sent into BT, as said above by Crazy Pet. After all, I'm still paying for what is a highly degraded level of service. Whether it's a problem with BT or Eircom, our contracts are with BT and it is up to them to fulfill those contracts. I'm sure that if/when the source of the problem is found to be Eircom, BT will no doubt be seeking some sort of compensation from them as would/should be specified in their service level agreement.

I propose that if it comes to the point where a complaint is to be sent in, it may be more successful if those affected group together and send one big one in.
    I've had complaints sent in to them before and I can tell you it's like pulling teeth getting a resolution, so if we have numbers on our side it might go a bit smoother.

But I'm willing to give it a few more days to see how they get on and also see if there's anything due back from them as "compensation". (wassat?? :rolleyes: )

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 navanman2003

Is everyone still having the poor QOS, download speeds in the Clonee, Ashbourne area.
    Its been a month now and still nothing but silence from BT.
    My friend logged a call on Friday and the tech on the phone said to him something like "Thats the first fault logged in this area". My friend gave my fault and phone no. and then the BT tech does a U-turn and goes " Yeah, we have had lots of faults logged in the area, Eircom called for first time today, etc..."

Has anybody got any explanation from BT over what the problem is? Im reaching the end of my fuse and I'm going to blow up soon and get Comreg involved. I'm demanding full refund for months of June/July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nr2

No. I've not had an update since last tuesday.

Last thing I heard from BT was that they were going to log another fault with eircom.

I checked the d/l speeds yesterday and they were going between modem and 1mbps adsl. Nothing constant. They used to be 3mbps and constant.

It's crap.

All I've been told is that they're aware of the problem, and they're waiting for Eircom to fix it. Is there any chance of a refund? We really deserve it, considering the terrible speeds we've been getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Anyone with BT speed problems in Kilkenny City area?

I've been getting fluctuating speeds since yesterday. Anything from 400kb/sec to 1240kb/sec.
    Upstream is a steady 384kb/sec.

I'm on a 3Meg connection! :mad:

Have done a router reset and test another modem, no change.

Just done the test file download that Diabolus posted. Getting avg 118KB/sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

on the 3mb package, have noticed erratic bb speeds over the last week and a half. normally fixed by just restarting the router. Not now though, irishisptest says 410 kbps down and 310 kbps up, utc test says 366kbps down, router says connected at 512 down, 384 up. will be really pissed if have to do a fartory reset on router and redo all the wifi securtiy :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

mine says 1.69 mbps down
    212 kbps up
    round trip time 32ms
    Im on 2mb BT in Rochfortbridge, westmeath.

So obviously no problem here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

bah! fooking technical support is closed and when i go to the bt site, login and select "report a fault" it tells "Sorry, you do not have any products with which to log a fault."
    What a pile of toss!!

*3 more restarts later*
    seems to have righted itself, back to 2.63mb down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 navanman2003

I got an update from BT today, it looks like a resolution is on the way.

Here is an extract from the email I got today:

Dear David,

This matter has now been escalated to Eircom management as an exchange fault. Customers in the Clonee and Ashbourne exchanges have been effected the most by a slow broadband speeds problem. Both of these exchanges are linked to the Summerhill exchange in Dublin. The issue is under investigation by Eircom and I will inform you of any updates as they become available. When the issue has been resolved I will recommend to our Customer Care department that you should be refunded any charges paid for the duration of the fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I'm in Ashbourne too and logged this exact same fault on 23/06/06. after bt convinced me that there was no problem I stupidly uninstalled my operating system and re-insatalled it again, it took me 2 days to set up all my software, files etc even longer to get my virus protection sorted out. After I completed this work I was still only gerrtin half a meg download speed when I'm paying for 3mb!!!
    Rang tech back and they said "oh you're right there is a fault on the line, I'll log it with level 2 and let you know in 3 days what the situation is". 4 days later i rang again and they made me wait another 3 days then after that another 3 days, with no clue or idea what the problem was. Eventually I had enough and googled the C.E.O. of bt ireland and sent him a really frustrated E-mail to which he promptly replied and cc'd a load of others. I thought happy days at last some action..... but no.
    My case was assigned to Conor Scolard who was to call me every day and at first we were getting places and he went looking for more cases similar to mine in Ashbourne so he could raise it at a higher level and get it resolved faster. I haven't heard from him since last thursday when I rang him and he said he now had enough cases to make the issue a much bigger priority!!!
    I found this forum on saturday morning and sent him the link hoping that he'd visit and maybe use it to help us all, realising he didn't work weekend i presumed I'd get a call Monday from him. I didn't.
    However i did receive a call from cust care saying that the line returned a green signal and it is now fixed. So i skipped home from work that evening only to be disappointed to find even worse speeds.
    When i called Tech last night they said that the line is ok as far as they are concerned and that the problem must be at my end as there is no other complaints about service in my area!!!!! I made him aware of this forum and gave him the reference number of D brooks (from this forum), he put me on hold and came back saying "oh yeah there are some cases in your area but we dont know what it is or when it will be fixed, we'll just have to wait and see".
    I just said goodbye and proceeded to E-mail Emer Kennedy (head of global products for Esat BT) to inform her of my disgust. She rang me from her mobile within 60 seconds of me sending the mail and we spoke about the problem which she said she would fully take control of from now on.
    In work today I got a call from mark in tech who said that others in my area were reporting full speed again and to test my speed when I got home and he'd ring me at 7pm, which he did but my speed was still only 40kbps. He said that others he phoned had no improvement either, and I'd get a call again when they get it sorted.
    What are we gonna do people. Are we just supposed to accept this? please keep posting here as it gives me confidence to know I'm not on my own. I'll keep posting until resolution too. If you wanna use my ref no's they are:
    1-332882401 and 1-325476358(originally).
    By the way at 6.30am on saturday I was gettin 2.4mb download speed for about an hour and then back to 40kbps. anyone else notice that?:mad:

Jarvis, i called BT support and spoke to a Ross over there, nothing against him but i am now being told to suck it up until Eircom fix the problem.

Again though when i called I got some fresh out of uni runt who preceeded to tell me all about contention ratios etc.. and that my 200kb download was normal and that 2mb download i had for the last 2 years was lucky! Clown....

In any case can you PM me the details of the heads you emailed and i will also send an email because this is getting stupid now.

cheers
    D

done. its 2 messages(not 3). try to make sense of it.

• Advertisement

Cheers,
    Email sent and await a call tomorrow to see what the hell BT are playing at.

Getting good speeds this morning, but they are very eratic, not staying consistantly high. It'll be interesting to see if they improve or not during the day!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I wonder how accurate these are?

Irish Internet Speed

Irishinternetspeed.jpg

Irish Surf Speed

Irishsurfspeed.jpg

I'm still fluctuating around the 1150kbps mark on a 3meg connection, but still getting max upload 384kbps. :confused:

Edit: Just noticed, there's no surfing in Ireland today!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭whimsey

Jarvis can you also pm me the email addresses you complained too.
    Spoke to BT again today 2 weeks on and issue still exists.

I thought Eircom had there days but never had a 2 week problem
    resolution .

Whimsey

I got the following update at 13.30 today.

"There has been a lot of escalations and investigating over the last 48hours. The good news is that the fault has been isolated and located to an exchange in Dublin which would appear to be impacting the Ashbourne areas for all Broadband users regardless of supplier. There are currently a team of technical engineers working at the exchange at the moment and so we are expecting a further update this afternoon."

"I will come back to you as soon as I have a further update."

Here's hoping it's not long now!!!!!
    Jarvis

Cheers for the update Jarvis, seems like it should be sorted soon enough then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 wixy

Guys,

I am again in the Ongar/Clonee area & broadband if looking like more & more like dail up (ridiculous!).

Anyways I logged the fault today (1-337533509) & tech support confirmed that Eircom are looking at the fault & the latest (hot off the press!) is they have actually found the fault.

So hopefully this will all be fixed soon.......

As soon as someone notices it fixed can they post it on here?

Cheers!

i noticed over the weekend my connection went from 200kb to 1mb approx

maybe a fix is sooner than we think

I also noticed that my speed increased to around 800kb from Friday. Early this morning I was getting 2.41mb which I didn't get too excited about as I noticed the same last Monday morning too and it just returned to it's lower speeds when I got home from work that evening. So I expect the same result tonight!!! I find www.speedtest.ie the best for checking speed, anyone else got good sites to check? I also use www.url.ie/qv
    Either way speeds are still crap and when I do get those good speeds early morning they're very erratic. Can someone else try this morning glory syndrome and let me know are they getting better speeds A.M.
    Also, has anyone got a phone call from BT recently, without actually having to contact them first??? If so what are they now saying?
    I personally blame those Eircom idiot's. I wonder would they have already fixed this problem if it was effecting eircom customers?
    There's a thought. I got an E-mail from BT saying that it was happening to everyone in these areas regardless of ISP. Does anyone know someone with a different ISP having these problems???
    Jarvis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Hi
    I have been checking my speeds at various times and they are uniformally s***e - so no morning glory syndrome for me (although maybe even slightly more s***e in the pm). I am in the Clonee/Ongar area.
    Cheers
    Steve

Date Download Speed Upload Speed Qos RTT Maxpause
    23/07/2006 16:23 183 kbps (23 KB/s) 163 kbps (21 KB/s) 7 % 20 ms 650 ms
    22/07/2006 10:43 201 kbps (26 KB/s) 108 kbps (14 KB/s) 14 % 20 ms 1380 ms
    13/07/2006 18:40 84 kbps (11 KB/s) 103 kbps (13 KB/s) 5 % 22 ms 1444 ms
    13/07/2006 09:19 299 kbps (38 KB/s) 115 kbps (15 KB/s) 10 % 21 ms 481 ms
    12/07/2006 08:32 113 kbps (15 KB/s) 88 kbps (11 KB/s) 13 % 23 ms 1040 ms
    10/07/2006 21:58 47 kbps (6 KB/s) 127 kbps (16 KB/s) 67 % 22 ms 994 ms
    10/07/2006 08:11 270 kbps (34 KB/s) 157 kbps (20 KB/s) 8 % 21 ms 707 ms
    09/07/2006 16:32 126 kbps (16 KB/s) 88 kbps (11 KB/s) 11 % 21 ms 757 ms
    09/07/2006 11:24 225 kbps (29 KB/s) 114 kbps (15 KB/s) 14 % 24 ms 565 ms