Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who to go with ???

• 24-06-2006 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

My line has finally passed (with consultation required) from Eircom... They're 80% sure they can give me broadband (finally after 3.5 years waiting)...

I'm not sure who to go with, I'm with smart for my phone but because I'm on the belcamp exchange they say it's goi9ng to be the end of the summer at least before they can offer it to me (every time I've called them they've given me a 3 month lead time).

Is it worth switching back to Eircom for it ? Thinking of the 29.99 package from them (with free router)...

What about the likes of UTV/Perlico/Imagine/BT ??? Do they switch you to voip for phone?

Basically, which would be the best for me, (not too heavy use, no games, little bit of (legal) downloading... ???

PLease give me a plain english answer...

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks guys. Appreciate it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Ok here's my 2 cence (not an expert)

I'm in same situation with belcamp exchange, sick of waiting on smart.

BT offer looks better then Eircom. from 35 Euro including line rental.

Pro:
    So only costing about 10euro after line rental.
    As far as i understand BT broadband is re-packaged Eircom broadband
    Don't have to change number.
    Better download limit then Eircom (not as good as smart)

Downside:
    Have to pay for modem (already have one).
    Wireless modem costs 80euro (40 for connection + 40 Upgrade). It's free with Eircom.
    Have been a lot mistakes with billing.

Heard bad reports about utv/perlico

Don't know about imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Perli-crap

Additional charges are excessive - not cheaper than Eircom when all is said and done (if getting Broadband also)

Customer care is a joke - 30 minutes waiting and then they treat you like a nuisance.

Bill arrives the day before the direct debit so there's no time to resolve any issues.

After the money is taken they are not interested.

Regulator needs to shut this crowd down.

Try BT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

iMax wrote:
    My line has finally passed (with consultation required) from Eircom... They're 80% sure they can give me broadband (finally after 3.5 years waiting)...

I'm not sure who to go with, I'm with smart for my phone but because I'm on the belcamp exchange they say it's goi9ng to be the end of the summer at least before they can offer it to me (every time I've called them they've given me a 3 month lead time).

Is it worth switching back to Eircom for it ? Thinking of the 29.99 package from them (with free router)...

What about the likes of UTV/Perlico/Imagine/BT ??? Do they switch you to voip for phone?

Basically, which would be the best for me, (not too heavy use, no games, little bit of (legal) downloading... ???

PLease give me a plain english answer...

TIA

My 2 Cents. Having also waited years for BB when I came back from my Hols I was delighted to find my line had eventually passed(sub to confirmation). My first reaction was to immediately order the 3MB BT product with phone calls included. It was indeed cheaper than Eircom. However after some investigation I decided to go with the 1MB Home Started product from Eircom(6 Mths Contract). I choose this for a couple of reasons, firstly as Eircom give you a Free Modem, Free Installation and one months sub free(for online order) it's does not work out any dearer than BT's similar product. Secondly because my line only passed sub to confirmation there is a good chance it would not be able to take advantage of a 2MB connection let alone 3MB's. So I decided to go with Eircom for the next 6 months and see how things pan out. If after 6 months of using this product I feel it would be beneficial to have a faster or cheaper product I can always change. As it stands I am glad I did go for this one(Eircom Home Starter) as it would appear my line will not be up to a 2MB/3MB anytime soon. The horror stories I have heard regarding BT's billing regime also put me off BT. I have the BB installed since 21st of this month and I must say I am happy with everything(except of course the fact that my line is not up to faster connections) and indeed the way Eircom behaved. Coming from dial-up this is brilliant. Your situation is slightly different in that you would have to go back to Eircom however even if you do decide to go with smart I would advise you to go with the lowest(1MB) connection first and take it from there. It does not cost anything to upgrade your connection but you are charged if you want to downgrade it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement