Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Arts + Horizons

Options
  • 24-06-2006 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭

So anyone know the deal about second year arts in september? Do we still get to do an elective? If you opt to do two majors do you then not have any option of doing an elective?
    Or,
    where can we get this info? Is it on the website? As far as i can see there's nowhere!! ...or else im just blind...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I think majors are 25 credits each, and if you want to you can take another module from within your subjects to bring it to 30 credits and not do electives outside your subjects, or else stick with 25 credits for you subjects + take whatever elective(s) you want/can...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I started a similar thread a while ago right here.....

but.... looking at the new information on the UCD website I'm all muddled again.

From reading this there seems to be Joint Majors, Major with a Minor and Minors but with the subjects I want to solely study next year only one of them (Geography) supposedly is available as a Joint Major where the other subject (Info Studies) is only available as a Major with a Minor so I'm still unsure where as to where I stand..... bah I really am confused. :confused:

It doesn't require alot of ability to clearly state and simplify what a student must study and what options are availble to them but yet again these clowns administering the Horizons program are going out of their way to confuse students. It's also very grey as to how many optional modules a student must take within each subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

yea it's really confusing isnt it?? I wanted to do English and French with equal credits - ie a joint major - however French isnt available as a joint major, only a Major with Minor, or a Minor... same as your Geog, Info Studies problem. That all seems ridiculous...I can only do half the course in one of my desired subjects and then must make up the rest of my credits with electives from something else that i dont even want to do??!

Seems to me that Horizons is LIMITING my choices rather than expanding them. Thanks Brady.

Edit: just sent an email to the French dept asking if French was going to be available as a joint major, and if not, would they consider making it so - lol yea as it that would work, but it's better than nothing i suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Btw, if it fits into your timetable you could always do the other modules of your minor in a minor/major combo.

dajaffa wrote:
    Btw, if it fits into your timetable you could always do the other modules of your minor in a minor/major combo.

That's where my problem is. If I get a degree out of this I could be in the position where I'll have a full degree in Geography and a minor degree in Info Studies on my CV, one subject ranked above the other when I would have done exactly the same amount of modules in each. This is where IMO (and emeraldstar's opinion) Horizons is devaluing degrees by making them all makey upey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

This is where IMO (and emeraldstar's opinion) Horizons is devaluing degrees by making them all makey upey.

But when I say that I'm being alarmist.

I think I still have a list somewhere of what's available as a single/major/joint major/minor/blah blah blah but it's probably best to ring/hassel your departments and generally send the message that students would like this information to be more readily available and less confusing.

Ok.... i got an email back from the French secretary, who said that there was a mistake on the Horizons page, and French certainly is available as a Joint Major. There is a new site here: http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/stagetwo_arts.html, then click on 'Information for BA Omnibus Studies' ....there's a lot of info there.

Zane, i had a look and Info Studies is actually available as a Joint Major too :)

The other site was just wrong, plain wrong. lol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Thanks for that emeraldstar...very helpful indeed! [Why the fúck do they even have the other site up??]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

thanks a million for that, my friends and I have been trying guess work for ages. They don't seem to take down old useless webpages.

Ok.... i got an email back from the French secretary, who said that there was a mistake on the Horizons page, and French certainly is available as a Joint Major. There is a new site here: http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/stagetwo_arts.html, then click on 'Information for BA Omnibus Studies' ....there's a lot of info there.

Zane, i had a look and Info Studies is actually available as a Joint Major too :)

The other site was just wrong, plain wrong. lol!!!

Nice one for that but weirdly there appears to be 2 Information Studies subjects on that list. One is available as a Joint Major and the other is availbable as Major with Minor.... the confusion shall continue! :confused::)

• Advertisement

but one of them is information and library studies...dats probly not what you're doin if you've never heard of it?? ...no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

My god that whole thing is confusing, i'm glad i didn't have to try to work all that out, on that list theres irish and modern irish, whats the difference? Theres also irish folklore and irish studies. *head hurts*
    Just wondering is all

but one of them is information and library studies...dats probly not what you're doin if you've never heard of it?? ...no?

I *think* I've figured it out now! Yes, there are 2 variables of Information Studies with only a couple of additional modules available in the Information and Library Studies Course.... they are still nearly similar but if I want to do a joint major I'll have to choose the IS course due to the ILS course being a Major with Minor course.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure on is choice of electives but things are becoming clearer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

My god that whole thing is confusing, i'm glad i didn't have to try to work all that out, on that list theres irish and modern irish, whats the difference? Theres also irish folklore and irish studies. *head hurts*
    Just wondering is all
    Yeah I got freaked out 'coz one of modules says that you can't do it as a joint major and I nearly cried...then I scrolled down further and saw that you actually could *phew*.

[Oh and Irish studies is the study of Irish identity, ethnicity, what makes us Irish etc. its really a mixture of Eng & drama/film and History... This is the first year its been available]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Ooooh sounds interesting. They have a new MA this year in Scríobh agus Cumarsaid na Gaeilge. It was in the Irish Times today but not on the website.

Are you looking forward to going to the Ghaeltacht this year? I'm doing the 3rd year option and going to An Cheathrú Rua, Galway during August, thus leaving the 3 week break in march for cramming crazily for my finals.
    Its pretty fun! *gaeltacht, not cramming*

Advertisement