Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I ban betfair on my pc?

• 24-06-2006 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi I need a way to block betfair on my pc, i amtrying ot block it on my self so will need some way that can not be reversed without a certain password or something and I'l make a supportive friend create and never tellme the password, I know I am weak and have a problem but please don't lambast me for such.
    Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Yup.

IE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Content -> Enable Content Advisor -> Add betfair and a password...

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You thought about going to counselling for this? Cos blocking betfair on your computer won't make the problem go away, as there are other gambling sites on the internet.

Maybe this should be moved to Personal Issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Royale

I only use firefox though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

open the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file in notepad

add beneath the lines that are there:

127.0.0.1 betfair.com

This basically sends any request to betfair.com to the local pc, where it can't be found. This can be done with any domain and for as many domains as you want.

I guess you could then check to see if you can lock this file for non admin users, and make yourself a non admin.

Another option might be to try and block it at the router level, and change the password so only a friend can unblock it.

Ultimately though, if you are determined, you can reformat, or reset the devices to get back access. If its a gambling problem, then you will really need to see someone about it, i'm sure they can put you in touch with gamblers anonymous over on PI. You could also try and find another hobby to replace gambling with, computer wise, World of Warcraft keeps people hooked, though I don't know the ethics of replacing one addiction with another :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Royale

astrofool wrote:
    open the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file in notepad

add beneath the lines that are there:

127.0.0.1 betfair.com

This basically sends any request to betfair.com to the local pc, where it can't be found. This can be done with any domain and for as many domains as you want.

I guess you could then check to see if you can lock this file for non admin users, and make yourself a non admin.

Another option might be to try and block it at the router level, and change the password so only a friend can unblock it.

Ultimately though, if you are determined, you can reformat, or reset the devices to get back access. If its a gambling problem, then you will really need to see someone about it, i'm sure they can put you in touch with gamblers anonymous over on PI. You could also try and find another hobby to replace gambling with, computer wise, World of Warcraft keeps people hooked, though I don't know the ethics of replacing one addiction with another :)

Thanks that looks like a great idea, but I did it and it didn't work, do i just save the file afterwards, am i missing a line, i copied and pasted exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

should look like this

hosts wrote:
    # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 betfair.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

try:
    127.0.0.1 www.betfair.com
    (just worked for me). You also need to open a new browser window after each change.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

have a look at http://www.schooner.com/~loverso/no-ads too
    it's more complesx you can edit the list to block other gambling sites too with wildcards.

Advertisement