Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my site and hopeful progression

Options
  • 25-06-2006 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, im trying to set up a fairly large moderately high quality looking website
    using html and javascript and some php.

Im trying to develop a nice look while including a certain amount of
    interactivety on the site.

Im trying to set up some php on the site also to place automaticlly
    updating images and data.

Should i set up the site first or set up the site from scratch intergrating
    my php. The set up the site first and added php includes but i found
    the site literally chugged along.

So im looking for opinions.

I want to set up a stylish but very simplistic website, no fancy background
    images or buttons just a really basic but nice looking design.

What im struggling to do is get enough content for the front page
    and im also stuck on whether to integrate my php or to let the
    php be placed on the site at later date.

Also how poor is the logo?

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/348/website7pb.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i usally create my site layout in Photoshop, then slice it up in Imageready, then apply CSS to it, then based on the layout add my PHP code. If you have it all in your head and can easily illustrate and implement it then there is no problem doing the site face about arse or arse about face. It will make no major difference in the end imo. Just be carefull with images and the like if they're are being pulled dynamicaly from a db/php.

As for the logo...it's a bit miss more than hit. That grey background on the lightening symbol looks totally out of place on the white background timeline.

Love your article on Ireland in the world cup btw. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Same as Rollo said.
    As for the logo, i dunno it looks like its all over the place. That line going through it - I don't like.
    If you want me to throw you together a basic logo i wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

i usally create my site layout in Photoshop, then slice it up in Imageready

Just out of interest why do you cut it in Image ready? I cut it up in PS myself.

TheGooner wrote:
    Just out of interest why do you cut it in Image ready? I cut it up in PS myself.
    Imageready - Optimisation (sp?) , Roll Over effects on slices, automatic generation of HTML (tables etc). You can basically pull a template in and ImageReady will output a full html page.
    Photoshop should be used for the design end. ImageReady finishes rest off. Its amazing what you can do with ImageReady really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

TheGooner wrote:

assigning of names to the various graphics ... fact you can save the whole thing at once .... and so on ...

photoshop you've to do it all manually ... any future changes mean you still have the same names ...

at least I think thats the case :)

• Advertisement

error9 wrote:
    assigning of names to the various graphics ... fact you can save the whole thing at once .... and so on ...

photoshop you've to do it all manually ... any future changes mean you still have the same names ...

at least I think thats the case :)

Hmmmmmmm interesting, never thought of it like that.

Webmonkey wrote:
    HTML (tables etc)

Tables - dirty word LOL :D

TheGooner wrote:
    Tables - dirty word LOL :D
    I knew someone would say something about them!. Well anyways they can work good too as long as you don't go overboard with them. I'm going to continue to use them until it becomes a standard not too.
    I have to start getting into the whole css layout. Even though i do use CSS for styling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Ph3n0m wrote:
    haha excellent (if i'm reading it right!, just skimming through)

• Advertisement
Advertisement