Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How attached are you to your mobile phone?

• 25-06-2006 5:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Came across an interesting survey whilst doing some research and thought it might be interesting to see what people on here think.

I can post the URL or send you the full press release of survey results if you wish - it was conducted in the UK, but I doubt things differ that much here.

Mobile obsession:
    - 46% spend more money on their mobiles than a landline
    - 16% would also feel ‘devastated’ if they lost their mobiles
    - 14% admitted to being ‘addicted’ to their mobiles
    - 14% describe it as their ‘favourite toy’

Some other findings

- 23% of us combat loneliness by mobile
    - 23% use mobiles as a social crutch
    - 9% find it easier to say ‘I love you’ by mobile
    - 8% say it’s my ‘pocket counsellor’

Given that many of us conduct our social, business and personal lives increasingly using our mobiles, and that perhaps some of the defining and important moments of our lives might be organised by text messages or mobiles, what do you think?

With camera phones, MP3 players, video calls and now mobile TV, we can now capture a special moment, listen to our favourite music or radio show, speak to and see a friend or loved one, or watch our favourite TV programme on them - perhaps it is inevitable that we might become more attached to our mobiles...

So, how important would you say your mobile is to you?

Are you emotionally attached to your Nokia / Samsung / Sony Ericsson / Motorola / other make of handset?

How important is your mobile phone to you? 40 votes

I need it 24/7/365 or I will die and using O2 (or other network!) is indeed my oxygen
    0%
    It is a tool, nothing more. I refuse to succumb to its digital delights
    50%
    KolodnyTom DunneRuu_OldStench Blossomsjesus_thats_gre[Deleted User]quintronPythiajrey1981omb0wyn5ehpij9qzthenakedcheffifthTerrorFirmerCutie18IrelandgordonnetDrumcondra redbarry181091thehomeofDobMayoExplosion 20 votes
    Nokia = nuisance. More of a pain than a benefit to me
    40%
    SupercellbyteednwirelandbambamBuffyBotKaromaRobertFosterDonkeyStyle \o/BettyboopbyrnefmmikemacSparkydubadubdubcuriosityRiderOnTheStormlex220 16 votes
    I refuse to join the mobile-owning masses
    5%
    silentsheepshagger 2 votes
    What a ridiculous question to ask!
    0%
    Too busy using my mobile to answer this.
    5%
    CabaalBrianb8802 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Meh, half the time I don't even bring it with me... not unless I think I'll be making any calls or am expecting an important incoming one.
    They're handy to have, but that's about it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Working with repairing phones, I see alot of people who's lives/ businesses sometimes depend on their phones. I have to say when someone is throwing a wobbly because they left their incredibly important details on their phone and no where else, you question if they're in their right minds. If whats on the phone is THAT important, why didn't they take 5 mins to back it up? Especially if they're so phone savvy to use its functionality?

For me it is an important tool but thats it- a tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I have mine with me all the time. Never leave the house without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

wont leave it unless i forget it. if that makes sense

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Neither do I. But that said its not like my life ends if I forget it. Is me point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Always have it on me 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Same, always have it on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Drumcondra red

Always with me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I always have mine with me and use it a lot. However, a couple of times I've left it in work and had an evening without it, and it was actually quite nice to have a break from being contactable - any more than a day though and I think I'd feel a bit lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Meh, half the time I don't even bring it with me... not unless I think I'll be making any calls or am expecting an important incoming one.
    They're handy to have, but that's about it.

same as meself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I bring it everywhere and it never gets turned off.
    Apart from on holiday.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

how it most of the Time...

i get panicy if i lose it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

When I was returning a phone I had a few weeks back I had to wait a couple of hours without one. Felt really lost without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I haven't owned a watch in 4 years.
    Thats the only reason I take my mobile everywhere.

If it wasn't for that function, I probably wouldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

During the school year I barely see the thing. I'd take a peek at it when I came home but that would be about it. During work I have it on me all the time thanks to pockets but as soon as I get home it ends up on the table along with my wallet and keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

some interesting admissions, although on the poll it is a close tie between being a tool and our needing it with us all the time.

Advertisement