Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminding - a few questions

Options
  • 25-06-2006 6:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I´m a 30 yo single mom from Austria. As I have been toying around to become a childminder over here (but didn´t then, because I didn´t want to leave my child that was very young at that time in fulltime daycare for weeks just to do all the courses required.) Just made no sense to me, so I simply enjoyed maternity leave with her 24/7 and now that she´s older it´s another story.

Anyways researching my options in Ireland I could work in my previous job (callcentre) but think it just might work out better if I´m minding children.

So, I guess my question is - just to get an idea if I´d stand a chance: Would you, theoretically, leave your child with a minder, who:

- Is not yet registered, but who is a loving, devoted mom and has some experience minding friend´s children from time to time. And is of course willing to do the necessary classes or what ever it takes to become registered asap?

- Whose mother tongue is German, but who is fluent in English? There´s a little accent and the occasional stumble over a word but otherwise it´s ok, I guess.

- I´ve not really decided on a place to live yet, but I guess it would have to be one of the bigger cities, so there´s enough demand?

I´d be really thankful if someone took the time to answer! Is this an altogether crazy idea??

Thanks a lot,
    Michaela

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Torak

Your nationality for most people would not be an issue.

IMHO, The lack of registration, regardless of what little regulation is available in ireland, would be a major issue for anyone who truly cares for their child.

I imagine that there is some level of registration which is available which does not require a large volume of training, which could get you started before you are fully trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 leasmom

Torak wrote:
    Your nationality for most people would not be an issue.

IMHO, The lack of registration, regardless of what little regulation is available in ireland, would be a major issue for anyone who truly cares for their child.

I imagine that there is some level of registration which is available which does not require a large volume of training, which could get you started before you are fully trained.

Thanks for your answer! Well of course I wasn´t implying that people could take offense in my nationality, I rather thought that they might fear a possible language problem.

As for the registration, I´m sorry, I guess I didn´t explain myself properly. What I meant is, that it wasn´t possible here in Austria at the time given, because my daughter was very small and the classes over here take up a veritable chunk of time (weeks fulltime). However, as I said, I would be more than willing to work towards registration in Ireland asap. I would have to get into business though while doing so, because I can´t wait for registration to start business (because of the lack of money in doing so) but would take all necessary stepps toward registration in my freetime right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Hi Leasmom, well having qualifications on paper will mean better pay for you. However, there is plenty of work in my opinion for you here. A lot of homes have to have both parents out working in order to pay the bills, but not all can afford creche fees. The cheaper option being a local minder, in a similar position to yourself. You will usually find this kind of work in local newspapers and noticeboards.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

The situation here is very different to Austria, there is no registration system, formal training is not expected either. If you mind more than 4 children, you need to tell the local Health Board.

You should contact www.childminding.ie, and the local County Childcare Committee where you are planning on living.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

You can voluntary notify Health Board (if you intend to mind less than 4 children) and your local city or county childcare committee. They provide assistance if you want to set up a childminding service.

The childcare committees can provide training, most of it's subsidised or free, once you have done a 20 hours quality training (free) they can give you a grant of €630 to help you buy toys and equipment when you are setting up your service. A first aid course would be strongly advised and is usually subsidised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Speaking German might actually be an advantage, if you'd teach the children some German. If you're in Dublin, you might talk to the German School (St Killians, is it?) in Dundrum, and see if they had any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

If you are coming to live in Cork PM me! I would seriously consider letting someone as you described mind mu child...as you say, you are a devoted mom...something that all the qualifications in the world cannot guarantee that! The language thing is a bonus as I see it...the accent is no problem at all as I see it. Best of Luck!

Advertisement