Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weep vents

Options
  • 25-06-2006 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭

I have a timber frame home with 4" block outer leaf. Weep vents were installed as required by the block layer, but the plasterers covered them all up!!!

Looking around this seems like a common occurance. I'm afraid that this will cause problems in the future. Does anyone know the likely effects or any practical solutions to solve the problem?

The chances of finding and uncovering the vents are nil. Are there any vents available suitable for retro-fitting?

invest4deepvalue.com

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Do-more wrote:
    I have a timber frame home with 4" block outer leaf. Weep vents were installed as required by the block layer, but the plasterers covered them all up!!!

Looking around this seems like a common occurance. I'm afraid that this will cause problems in the future. Does anyone know the likely effects or any practical solutions to solve the problem?

The chances of finding and uncovering the vents are nil. Are there any vents available suitable for retro-fitting?

Hi Do-more,

Did you organize the plasterers yourself, or was this a complete tf build.

Is it covered by homebond . If it is your build does not now follow their reccomendation for best construction methods.

What material was the vents made from. Plastic or metal. Are they just cavity vents. Or room vents. Metal vents may be found with a metal detector, or possibly a metal stud, electric cable finder.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

If only it was as easy as a metal detector!

They are plastic weep vents, venting the cavity. Plasterers were direct labour, long gone and they don't want to know about it.

I can't remember the exact spacing but they were about 2-3ft apart at top and bottom of building. I was thinking if you could get 30mm dia round vents it would be easy enough to drill and retro-fit but haven't found such so far. Any ideas?

invest4deepvalue.com

You could fit circular vents similar to this link,

http://www.seiho.com/product/sx/sx.html

Check your house elevations , and they should be able to point to the ideal location for you. Best choice is to contact the tf builder , and get his reccomendation for the proper installation point for the tf kit.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

They are way too big for the job, the original vents are similar to these http://www.cavitytrays.co.uk/pdf/damp_proofing/Euroweep.pdf

I need something much smaller, don't know what the solution is!

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    They are way too big for the job, the original vents are similar to these http://www.cavitytrays.co.uk/pdf/damp_proofing/Euroweep.pdf

I need something much smaller, don't know what the solution is!

Hi Do-more,

Sorry I was thinking along a different route. cavity vents.

I will get back to you when i can source on.

kadman

• Advertisement
Advertisement