Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill grass?

Options
  • 25-06-2006 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Is there any house hold item that I can use to kill grass which is growing up thro a gap in the pavement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eamoss wrote:
    Is there any house hold item that I can use to kill grass which is growing up thro a gap in the pavement?

Salt

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Shot of diesel, stong bleach, jeyes fluid, salt as mentioned,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The use of Diesel, bleach and other lethal chemicals in gardens is irresponsible , unnecessary and should be avoided.

To remove grass from paving joints simply dampen area with water and gently pull by hand being careful to remove root intact. One can also use a weeding knife but any long knife eg breadknife will also work.

If these methods do not appeal, you can use a safe chemical such as Roundup which kills leaf and root and safely biodedegrades when it comes in contact with ground.

For peace of mind over the longer term, you should tackle the problem of how grass is growing in the joints, you may need to re-point, this topic was covered in another thread.

Diesel, bleach etc are very toxic and use in the garden is forbidden and people should behave more environmental responsibly when tackling minor problems like dealing with unwanted weed/grass etc.

Lads what is going on here, the question asks is there any house hold item. Last time I looked Roundup had to be kept in a chemical store and really is not a household item. The amount of diesel bleach etc you would use aint going to cause harm be serious. Of course pulling the weed grass and repointing is the best solution but only answering the question. if you want to get real technical we can always look at the respnsibility of using a monsanto product that comes in a plastic container.

Fe*k this place is going mad

Eddie

Just off out to pour gallons of diesel and bleach over the ground before the little kiddies come out to play and hopefully polute the drinking water for a few orphangaes

eddiej wrote:
    Lads what is going on here, the question asks is there any house hold item. Last time I looked Roundup had to be kept in a chemical store and really is not a household item. The amount of diesel bleach etc you would use aint going to cause harm be serious. Of course pulling the weed grass and repointing is the best solution but only answering the question. if you want to get real technical we can always look at the respnsibility of using a monsanto product that comes in a plastic container.

Eddie

Just off out to pour gallons of diesel and bleach over the ground before the little kiddies come out to play and hopefully polute the drinking water for a few orphangaes

That's why I suggested salt. It is probably the least harmful household item to use. Roundup is safe once it's done it's job. Diesel lasts for years and years and it would be very irresponsible to use it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

eddiej wrote:

Eddie

There should be no place on any reasonable forum for comments such as these. There are standards out there and some times it takes time for the wisdom of the regulations to filter through to all, as is evident from the treatments (use of which substances in gardens are mostly banned) suggested.

Lack of knowledge/awareness is not a crime, but to refute good practice or more importantly justify bad practice by blatantly using langauge like "aint going to cause any harm" is stupid, ignorant and eventually dangerous. Diesel is not a household product, should never come near soil etc.

The final comment from the poster "... hopefully pollute the drinking water for a few orphanges" is utterly reprehensible and the Poster should be withdraw or be banned.

I am surprised that such comments would be permitted on the Boards and it sadly reflects poorly on us all! I think the Moderators should look at this!

Goodnight lads no one ever hear of sarcasam. Could go on but to be honest what would it have to do with DIY the whole debate about wheter diesel of roundup is more a household product and lets not forget that high levels of salt in the soil will have no impact on it.

Au revoir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

If you have only small pieces of Grass to kill one of the best thing I use is boil a kettle of water and sprinkle the boiling water on it and it will kill it perfectly. Very effective, and 100% environmentally friendly. Obviously it is not of much use to a person with a big lawn etc. It is also good for weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Cut it's head off!!!;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gareth Austin

Hi there

Hosue hold Vinegar sprayed on the grass on a hot day can be effective.

Gareth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

netwhizkid wrote:
    If you have only small pieces of Grass to kill one of the best thing I use is boil a kettle of water and sprinkle the boiling water on it and it will kill it perfectly. Very effective, and 100% environmentally friendly.

I have to agree. Brilliant and simple, I have used it many times. Also a kettle full of boiling water will treat a lot of cracks and gaps!

Orchard famers & wine growers use something simular, but on larger scale (tractor with large tank of boiling water) and they spread it on grass/weeds under the trees. Very effective, as they dont want to damage their crop or change the taste of the grape / wine.

I have to agree. Brilliant and simple, I have used it many times. Also a kettle full of boiling water will treat a lot of cracks and gaps!

Orchard famers & wine growers use something simular, but on larger scale (tractor with large tank of boiling water) and they spread it on grass/weeds under the trees. Very effective, as they dont want to damage their crop or change the taste of the grape / wine.

Thats more to do with organic farming that effectiveness. If they are cultivating organic fruit they would not be permitted to use chemicals - hence the use of boiling water or gas fired flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Might i suggest for future... take up the paving... lay down pond liner or something like that and put them back down... they will not come back any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Saruman wrote:
    Might i suggest for future... take up the paving... lay down pond liner or something like that and put them back down... they will not come back any time soon!
    Have to disagree with you there.The weeds will still grow between the joints of the patio slabs unless concrete is poured between them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Moanin wrote:
    unless concrete is poured between them
    Probably the best long term solution but eventually it too will crack and grass and weeds/grass will grow again. The only real solution is constant maintenance - thats what gardening is all about. How regular the maintenance will be depends on the method you use.

Personally I use pathclear in a spray gun - usually 2 or 3 applications per year keeps the gaps between the slabs clear of growth.

Advertisement