Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University Prices

• 25-06-2006 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

I have been looking through information about OU courses.

Is it my imagination or have OU courses for intending Irish students become very much more expensive than previously ? I am thinking in particular of the supplementary charge that attaches to Irish students

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

I was looking at doing an open university course aswell.Prices seem to be absolutaly crazy for the time period the course involves. Based on other services available from UK i would have though the prices would be similar to that of the uk ( obviously transfered into euro)
    There prices are the only reason that is having me second thought s of doing there courses, however i havent found a good college / couse that does distance learning in ireland so it does narrow the old options quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Is it my imagination or have OU courses for intending Irish students become very much more expensive than previously ?

I don't think they've increased that substantially. They've always been around the same ratio when compared to the UK prices.
    Based on other services available from UK i would have though the prices would be similar to that of the uk ( obviously transfered into euro)

Alas not. The prices which we pay are the "full" prices for the courses. Those who live in the UK pay the lower cost because the UK government subsidises the cost of the courses (it being a UK university after all, it's not that surprising I guess).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Are there any other accredited alternatives to the OU (not including Oscail)?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

The OU IT Module M150 (part of the cert. in IT) is stg330 for UK residents, stg690 for IRL residents e1002.

Pricey:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭oranje

The University of London offers external courses that are much better value than the OU imho. I am considering enrolling here:

http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Vastly different set up, in terms of instruction and support though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

oranje wrote:
    The University of London offers external courses that are much better value than the OU imho. I am considering enrolling here:

http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/

I never heard of this before. Do you think its reputable and do they cater for us paddies?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭oranje

The degrees are University of London degrees of the same standard as those awarded to full-time students. You sit the same exams as full-time students and follow the same course material. If you look at the colleges who run the individual courses like Royal Holloway and Birbeck doing modern languages these are top institutions. If you look at any world rankings you will see UL colleges like above mentioned or Imperial or the London School of Economics in the top 100s.

I am think of taking a degree in French and I looked into many options but this looks like the best one for me. I am based in Holland but they have students following degrees all over the world so wherever you are is irrelevant.

As I say I have not yet got any personal experience so I am only going on what I have read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

Cork Law School offer the Uni of London degrees, however not by distance learning. You pay Cork and they have their own lectures, tutorials, etc. You also have to attend everyday and it was expensive at £3 or 4 k per year back in the late 90's. They also do an evening course afaik.

P.S. I wanted to add another few comments but with the way things are going these days I do not want to get anyone in trouble. P.M. me if anyone is serious about doing this course and I will give you my opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Those University of London distance learning progs. seem pretty interesting. Any other feedback?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

We don't charge UK, or EU students anymore than Irish students to study here, so why do they?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Regular full-time degrees in Britain are not charged at higher rates either for EU students (and they qualify for the same fees relief as British students). Does the Irish government subsidise British students who are studying distance degrees with Irish instituions?

Advertisement