Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP, mysql search script

Options
  • 25-06-2006 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I need to write a php script to search my database. Does anyone know how to go about this or a good website tutorial? Ive found a couple of tutorials on the web but they warent that good.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here are a couple . You can't beat Google. Search for "php and mysql tutorials" There are lots out there.
    :p

http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/phpmysql
    http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/programming/php/tutorials/tutorial4.html

Also go to PHP Home

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

cheers for that, but their not really what im after. Im looking to write a search script for my database similar to what google does on the web (obviously not as safisticated). I thought first that i could just do a "LIKE" query but that wouldnt work very well.

Can you be more specific and post an exact example of what you expect to retrieve? Are you talking about string matching or using regular expressions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

you can always put a google search on your site and save yourself a lot of bother.

I need to search my database for strings and regular expressions and then just sort the results by date.

When someone come onto the site they will enter a search term/s and then any posts left that match the search terms they input will be retrieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well its not that difficult really. I take it you want to search in boolean mode then?

Well you could do this. Have a form called 'searchword' and submit it to a script someting like this.
    [PHP]
    $searchword = $_POST;

if (!isset($searchword))
    {
    print "You forgot the enter a search word!";
    }
    else {

//maybe you might want to close it with quotes. best in boolean mode
    //$searchword = "\"".$searchword."\"";

$searchquery = "SELECT * FROM `yourtable` WHERE MATCH (column1, column2, column3) AGAINST ('$searchword' IN BOOLEAN MODE) ORDER BY `date` DESC";
    $result = mysql_query($result);
    if (!$result)
    {
    die ("Error With DATABSE!".mysql_error());
    }
    else {
    while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
    {
    print "Found match in <strong>$row</strong><br>";
    }
    }
    }
    [/PHP]

Thats what i'd do, thats written from head and not tested so maybe expect it not to work at first

EDIT: Regular expressions, havn't done them before with searches.
    Look at this:
    http://docs.mandragor.org/files/Databases/Mysql/Mysql_manual_en/manual_Regexp.html

Webmonkey wrote:
    Well its not that difficult really. I take it you want to search in boolean mode then?

Well you could do this. Have a form called 'searchword' and submit it to a script someting like this.
    [PHP]
    $searchword = $_POST;
    //maybe you might want to close it with quotes. best in boolean mode
    if (!isset($searchword))
    {
    print "You forgot the enter a search word!";
    } else

{
    $searchquery = "SELECT * FROM `yourtable` WHERE MATCH (column1, column2, column3) AGAINST ('$searchword' IN BOOLEAN MODE) ORDER BY `date` DESC";
    $result = mysql_query($result);
    if (!$result)
    {
    } else
    {
    {
    print "Found match in <strong>$row</strong><br>";
    }
    }
    }
    [/PHP]

Thats what i'd do, thats written from head and not tested so maybe expect it not to work at first

Written from head!! And here's me scratching my head as to where to even begin :D . Will this work if someone search with a few terms at the same time i.e. will it bring back results if one of the terms they used was found or will it have to match exactly what they wrote?

So it's the SQL you are after.

Try something like this from your search

$input_str is the search string

"select field1, field 2 from mytable where lower(data) like lower('%".$input_str. "%') ORDER BY date desc;"

Written from head!! And here's me scratching my head as to where to even begin :D . Will this work if someone search with a few terms at the same time i.e. will it bring back results if one of the terms they used was found or will it have to match exactly what they wrote?
    If they enter two keywords, it should search both separetly (sp? im bad) and if you uncomment the
    [php]
    [/php]
    you should get an exact match. You could put a tick box on the forum to allow the user to enable that or not but if you don't bother uncommenting that and user enters "hello test", with the quotes it will find the exact match of 'hello test' (I think!, try it out sure)

Cheers, i'll give it a lash today.

• Advertisement

Cheers, i'll give it a lash today.
    Good luck with it. Any probs let us know

Hey,

I've been trying it out but i keep getting a mysql syntax error:

[PHP]Error With DATABSE!You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'BOOLEAN MODE) ORDER BY review_date DESC ' at line 4[/PHP]

The code i am using at the moment is this: (i have changed the table names and column again)

[PHP] $searchquery = "SELECT *
    FROM my_table
    WHERE MATCH (job_category_from_user)
    AGAINST (".$searchword." IN BOOLEAN MODE)
    ORDER BY review_date DESC
    ";
    $result = mysql_query($searchquery);
    if (!$result)
    {
    } else
    {
    {
    print "Found match in <strong>".$row."</strong><br>";
    }
    }
    } [/PHP]

Anyone know where the error is?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

*doh

going back to sleep, go away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Ph3n0m wrote:
    BEGIN__VBULLETIN__CODE__SNIPPET

The vBulletin forum is putting that there, that's not from his code. You get that if you post PHP code using the [ php ] tags, and don't have the <?php at the beginning of your code.

Ph3n0m wrote:
    *doh

going back to sleep, go away

Thanks for the input mate!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

chances are your table hasnt been set up for fulltext indexes

and my previous input was wrong thats why I re-edited it with my "going back to sleep...."

Ph3n0m wrote:
    chances are your table hasnt been set up for fulltext indexes

and my previous input was wrong thats why I re-edited it with my "going back to sleep...."

Lol, i thought you were telling me to go back to sleep and go away. Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

What version of MySQL are you using?

Serbian wrote:
    What version of MySQL are you using?

Its MySQL 3.23.58, i think it may have to do with setting up a FULLTEXT index. Ive been trying to set it up but no success so far. Maybe it has to be on MySQL 4 and above?

I think boolean searching hasn't come into it till later version. Better off upgrading to version 5.

As well change this line:
    [php]
    AGAINST (".$searchword." IN BOOLEAN MODE) [/php]

to [php] AGAINST ('".$searchword."' IN BOOLEAN MODE) [/php]

As well as that you are selecting for 'my_table' - is this the actual name of your table.
    When printing too you won't see anything as your printing $row.
    print $row;

• Advertisement
Advertisement