Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

doing deliverys. wear/tear

Options
  • 25-06-2006 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

i've been doing deliverys for the past while in mammys arosa, around a month or two, i'm just wondering about wear and tear on such a little car with tiny miles for the year 1998 with 30,500 miles. i.e gearbox and starter.

thanks.

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how are you fixed for insurance, you know carrying other peoples goods for reward etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

i checked that, and nope not insured, sure if i have a tip in the car how would anybody know i was doing deliverys, i can just say i was picking up my dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Volvoboy wrote:
    i checked that, and nope not insured, sure if i have a tip in the car how would anybody know i was doing deliverys, i can just say i was picking up my dinner.

You could collide with someone who is aware that you are carrying out deliveries with non commercial insurance. The Gardaí are not stupid either. I'm sure they would be aware of 'delivery' persons in their area as most of these are done at night. Your insurance will be considered null and void if you are caught or have an accident.

I'm afraid most delivery drivers don't have the right insurance, so I make a point of not crashing into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

colm_mcm wrote:
    how are you fixed for insurance, you know carrying other peoples goods for reward etc?
    For fúcks sake, why is boards filled with these moral police that divert every subject to make the original poster out to be a criminal? Just answer his question and if you don't know then shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

For fúcks sake, why is boards filled with these moral police that divert every subject to make the original poster out to be a criminal? Just answer his question and if you don't know then shut up.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out the potential voiding of the op's insurance.

Driving with valid insurance is a legal requirement after all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

And its extremely difficult to get the said insurance and by right your employer should be paying it but they are not!! Just like the wages which are terrible low per hour, fair enough you get tips but you can't exactly depend on getting tips all the time!!

There's nothing wrong with pointing out the potential voiding of the op's insurance.

Driving with valid insurance is a legal requirement after all.
    His original post was asking about the possible wear and tear to his car from the constant starting of the engine and frequent gear changes associated with that type of driving. His insurance cover has nothing to do with this topic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Volvoboy wrote:

Oh yes it does. He's proposing to drive uninsured deliberately.

His original post was asking about the possible wear and tear to his car from the constant starting of the engine and frequent gear changes associated with that type of driving. His insurance cover has nothing to do with this topic.

Yes but the OP had to check if he was insured - he didn't know if his policy covered him. In other words he got some good advice. If he was aware that he was uninsured he may have phrased his post differently in the first place and not mentioned the delivery work.

Would you like to be involved in an accident with an uninsured driver?

• Advertisement

Yes but the OP had to check if he was insured - he didn't know if his policy covered him. In other words he got some good advice. If he was aware that he was uninsured he may have phrased his post differently in the first place and not mentioned the delivery work.

Would you like to be involved in an accident with an uninsured driver?
    Ok, why don't we suggest that he checks if he has a valid licence for his TV, and his dog while we're at it? How about checking to see if he pays his bin charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

becuase its better he takes the advice of the moral police here before he comes to the attention of the real police or has a crash and has to pay out of his own pocket for the 06 bmw he writes off....

Ok, why don't we suggest that he checks if he has a valid licence for his TV, and his dog while we're at it? How about checking to see if he pays his bin charges?

Now you are being ridiculous. Lack of a TV or dog licence do not endanger or inconvienence anyone else to the same extent as uninsured drivers.

This is getting silly.

...and yes constant stop and start town deliveries will have a negative effect on the car.

Driving knowingly uininsured however may have a much more devastating effect.

Now you are being ridiculous. Lack of a TV or dog licence do not endanger or inconvienence anyone else to the same extent as uninsured drivers.
    Why don't you ask him if his car passed it's NCT then? Or if he is on a full or provisional licence? Is he tired from working all day and driving in the evenings? Perhaps he is a danger cause he is tired while driving.

jhegarty wrote:
    becuase its better he takes the advice of the moral police here before he comes to the attention of the real police or has a crash and has to pay out of his own pocket for the 06 bmw he writes off....
    Look, if I was a delivery driver and was not covered under my insurance I would say I was on my way to the shop or whatever. If I was hit by a delivery driver I would not ask questions. The insurance company have no way of finding out.

Look, if I was a delivery driver and was not covered under my insurance I would say I was on my way to the shop or whatever. If I was hit by a delivery driver I would not ask questions. The insurance company have no way of finding out.

That may be difficult if you have an accident in you locality with someone who know's you are delivering. It may also be difficult to explain to the Gardai why you have a car full of Chinese/Indian/Pizzas etc. with receipts stapled to each bag.

A few young lads in my area are at this. I don't know whether they have adequate insurance but if I had an accident with one I would certainly be bringing my doubts to the attention of the relevant people.

That may be difficult if you have an accident in you locality with someone who know's you are delivering. It may also be difficult to explain to the Gardai why you have a car full of Chinese/Indian/Pizzas etc. with receipts stapled to each bag.

A few young lads in my area are at this. I don't know whether they have adequate insurance but if I had an accident with one I would certainly be bringing my doubts to the attention of the relevant people.

Like I said, if I had an accident with one of these guys I would say nothing to the insurance company about them being a delivery driver. That way I would get paid. I don't see how making a fuss about it is going to help anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Like I said, if I had an accident with one of these guys I would say nothing to the insurance company about them being a delivery driver. That way I would get paid. I don't see how making a fuss about it is going to help anybody.

What if another car hits him and has an unscroupleous (sp?) who driver who realises he's not properly insured, useing it to get out of paying.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Whatever abouit Wear and tear, What about the smell of the "Large tray of Curry Chips and rice"

• Advertisement

i'm a panel beater, so the chances of me getting the ins company's involved wont be an issue, if the driver of the other car insisted i'd just bring him to my body shop where i work and get the work done there at my cost, yes i know its wrong to do this but if you were earning 173.87 per week for a 40 hour week, and you had a chance to earn 70+ for four hours work, would you turn your nose up at it?

i just got my hours for this week 6-10 friday, saturday, sunday.

What about the smell of the "Large tray of Curry Chips and rice"

frebreeze, and a magic tree :D

i keep the car immac anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm this is a valid point.

If you do have a bump with one of these, surely its to the receiving parties benifit to treat it as a normal bump and claim against the normal insurance.
    If my front bumper was ripped off or worse then all i'd care about would be who is paying to get it fixed tbh.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Volvoboy wrote:
    i'm a panel beater, so the chances of me getting the ins company's involved wont be an issue, if the driver of the other car insisted i'd just bring him to my body shop where i work and get the work done there at my cost, yes i know its wrong to do this but if you were earning 173.87 per week for a 40 hour week, and you had a chance to earn 70+ for four hours work, would you turn your nose up at it?

i just got my hours for this week 6-10 friday, saturday, sunday.

Can you also do a bit of 'bodywork' in the theatre of your local A & E? :)

There can be more to accidents than material vehicle damage! :rolleyes:

i was under the assumption that people had a problem with the fact that i had no ins to pay for thier cars damage rather than injuring somebody, i could hurt somebody with or without ins

Volvoboy wrote:
    i was under the assumption that people had a problem with the fact that i had no ins to pay for thier cars damage rather than injuring somebody, i could hurt somebody with or without ins

Repairing/replacing vehicles is only peanuts for insurance companies compared to settling personal injury claims resulting from accidents.

How can fast food companies get away with knowingly getting people to void their insurance?

colm_mcm wrote:
    How can fast food companies get away with knowingly getting people to void their insurance?
    It's the employee's responsibility to make sure they have valid insurance. At least it is where I work (not fast food delivery!!)

Volvoboy wrote:
    i'm a panel beater, so the chances of me getting the ins company's involved wont be an issue, if the driver of the other car insisted i'd just bring him to my body shop where i work and get the work done there at my cost, yes i know its wrong to do this but if you were earning 173.87 per week for a 40 hour week, and you had a chance to earn 70+ for four hours work, would you turn your nose up at it?...

Be careful, the moral police will be checking that you are fully tax compliant now before they give you a straight answer on the wear & tear question!!

• Advertisement

has anyone actually answered the original question i wonder.

Advertisement