Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happend to my curry?

• 25-06-2006 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Decided to try my hand at making a thai curry today. Had all the ingrediants, some green curry paste, coconut milk, ect. Followed the instuctions to the letter, but instead of my curry turning out with the browny/green color like the picture on the pack, it stayed virtualy the same color of the coconut milk. A sickly white.
    What happend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

bus77 wrote:
    Decided to try my hand at making a thai curry today. Had all the ingrediants, some green curry paste, coconut milk, ect. Followed the instuctions to the letter, but instead of my curry turning out with the browny/green color like the picture on the pack, it stayed virtualy the same color of the coconut milk. A sickly white.
    What happend?

Sounds like you added too much coconut milk or too little paste, but you said you followed to the letter.

When you say follow to teh letter does that include boiling/simmering times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Actually the instructions wer'nt that great, they did'nt mention times for boiling but I gave it a good long simmer. Even thru in another big lump of paste but no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

bus77 wrote:
    Actually the instructions wer'nt that great, they did'nt mention times for boiling but I gave it a good long simmer.

That could be it then. I'd switch it off and let it settle, just put a lid on the pot and boil it up again when your using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Ok gooner.

It's actually quite nice, Im geting used to the white now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sounds like your curry turned out the usual shade of greeny-white that it should. To "green" it up you could add finely sliced green peppers, rings of green chillis & plenty of basil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

The pros will add a teaspoon or 2 of Turmeric, will add a nice colour and take the anaemic look away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The pros will add a teaspoon or 2 of Turmeric, will add a nice colour and take the anaemic look away.

...and completely change the flavour of a thai green curry.

Turmeric's an indian curry ingredient - gives lots of colour, but I find it gives a very specific sort of perfumed, bitter flavour. Wouldn't fancy it with a Thai green curry.

As for why the OP's has turned out too white - are you using a well known branded paste or something else? With most red/green curry pastes, I use two generous tablespoons of paste to one tin coconut milk. The generic brands tend to have an aromatic paste with little heat, the big tubs you can get from the Thai shops are far hotter.

Advertisement