Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i perform live like this?

Options
  • 25-06-2006 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi i recently asked about changing the pitch on my voice which i did.but does anyone know if i can perform like this live,like i record my voice and the change the pitch would i be able to get a mic that adjust the pitch on as you speak there and then or is there another way i could do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Realistically no there is no vocal pitch shifting equipment that can be used in realtime.
    Do you want to make your voice sound higher or lower than it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

hi thanx for responding i need my voice lower,im useing a demo version of cool edit pro,im not finding it very easy to use but i was able t lower the pitch on it,the mic i have is just a cheap mic not meant for performance so there is an echo and a buzz off my voice,i plan on gettin a usb samson mic i saw some on ebay but im waiting on an application in the post for a credit card so should just be a few weeks before i can order that and then i can see how much better it will be without these complications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

If I'm reading into your post correctly, you want to know how you can 'change' your voice while performing live? If so, then a good Pioneer mixer like the DJM 600 would be the ticket. There is a sub-mic input on channel 4, and from that, you can select that channel in the effects part of the mixer (all button operated, no software) and do effects like pitch (chipmunks anyone??). flange, echo, pan, etc etc etc.

While new, the mixer costs in excess of €900 minimum, you can still get a good second hand one e.g. buy and sell.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Seanie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

You could probably run your vocals through a guitar pitchshifter pedal but it wouldn't sound very natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

j2u wrote:
    hi i recently asked about changing the pitch on my voice which i did.but does anyone know if i can perform like this live,like i record my voice and the change the pitch would i be able to get a mic that adjust the pitch on as you speak there and then or is there another way i could do this?

The TC Helicon Voice Works is probably closest to what you want http://www.tc-helicon.com/VoiceWorks

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_tchelicon_voiceworks_vocalprozessor_prodinfo.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

If you lower by a full octave it will sound completely unnatural. You'll get away with lowering it 3-4 semitones (depending on the quality of the processor, the sound system and the sophistication of your audience), but then you have another dilemma. If you're singing in the key of C and what's coming out of the speakers/monitors is pitch shifted down to the key of A, you'll get completely confused and end up crashing the song.

I'd advise using something like the TC Helicon mentioned below or for cheaper, Antares make a harmoniser box. That way you can build a harmony voice down a few semitones to mix in with your own unprocessed voice. This should go some way to getting the result you want and still sound fairly natural.

The TC Helicon also has some formant related stuff I think, which does "gender changes" - it can make a voice more male (deeper) or female (higher) without chaning fundamntal pitch by putting the signal through what is basically a mathematical model of the human vocal tract if I recall. I've heard demos from a sound on sound DVD (think it was this model) and I wasn't convinced.

Advertisement