Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Youth Choir 2006 - A Summer's Evening of French Sacred Music

Options
  • 25-06-2006 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, this is already in the Classical Forum, but as it's being held in Cork, thought people might be interested in something different?
    It's free, half in French and half in Latin, big loud organ and from the reharsals that have gone so far, it's going to be great! and best of all, it's FREE!
    There's a few boardsies in it too (not just me!)

Join us for this years concert,

A Summer’s Evening of French Sacred Music

which will take place at 8.00 pm on Saturday 1 July 2006 in St. Colman's Cathedral, Cobh, Co. Cork.

This years concert will commence with the rarely performed Messe ‘Cum Jubilo’ for solo baritone, male-voice choir and organ by Duruflé. This beautiful masterpiece is based on plainchant melodies with a reflective organ accompaniment and will feature baritone Gordon Garde.

Poulenc's enchanting Litanies à la Vierge Noire for female-voice choir and organ will follow. A Black Madonna the composer observed while on retreat in Rocamadour, France was the inspiration for this piece. Poulenc later described this icon as "very special, humble and quite striking", an apt description for this work with its beseeching women's voices contrasting the more aggressive, dissonant organ.

The evening will conclude in dramatic fashion with the IYC and choir organ combining with the Cathedral’s own 2,468 pipe Telford organ to perform Langlais' Messe Solennelle for mixed-choir in its rarely performed two organ setting.

Admission is free.

The CNC/Association of Irish Choirs administers the Irish Youth Choir and its membership of 17 to 29 year olds is annually selected through a series of nationwide auditions.

Pat Jackman, Project Coordinator, Irish Youth Choir
    CNC/Association of Irish Choirs, Drinan Street, Cork
    T: 021 4312296
    F: 021 4962457
    E: iyc@cnc.ie
    W: www.cnc.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

big loud organ

Hur hur hur.

I realise it's quite tacky of me to make such a puerile joke when you're promoting something like this, but at the same time there should be some sort of rule about posting up certain words in any forum that myself or adam are likely to go anywhere near....

I'm torn right now, because:

a) I'd quite like to go as it sounds like something interestingly different to do on a saturday, but
    b) it's a friends birthday this weekend and I am contractually obliged to go out on some sort of total pissup with them. (Well, ok, so that's a lie, but she's agreed to go out drinking and I really really want to, which is sort of maybe a contract. Ish.)

How would you feel about a gang of drunk people (including at least one boardsie) turning up? If we start drinking at a reasonable hour (ie not 10am) we might even promise not to try and sing along ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Fysh wrote:
    Hur hur hur.

I realise it's quite tacky of me to make such a puerile joke when you're promoting something like this, but at the same time there should be some sort of rule about posting up certain words in any forum that myself or adam are likely to go anywhere near....

you know, I did almost take it out, but decided as it was in a musical sense that I might get away with it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I would't be interested in this, but I'd like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to bitch about tripping all the way up to the gospel choir competition in Finbarre's on Saturday, only to be told they were sold out. Pain in the arse, would love to have seen that.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

As a Cobh girl now, I'm going to go along as it sounds like it will be a wonderful performance, so best of Luck Dizzy - hope it all goes really well for you and the vocal cords are strong. I'll clap loudly!!! Thanks for letting us know this is taking place. Judes

(P.S. I went to Threepenny Opera at Spiegeltent last night - absolutely Brill -really enjoyed it, very funny Opera, the Cast were really camping it up, great night's entertainment).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

it really sounds like it will be fabulous! I'll be the one on the far right in the front as you're looking at the choir, in both the female and the mixed choir pieces (obviously not in the mens piece!!)
    I hope you enjoy it! thanks for the support, bring all your friends! it won't be long, maybe an hour and 20 mins as long as all goes according to plan!
    Dizzy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi Dizzy - didn't get your reply till this morning - went there on Sat night, brought parents/nephew over for it. (But it was a bit heavy for my nephew, he's 6), so my parents had to bring him back to my place, just up the road from Cathedral. So I saw the male choir who were fab followed by the girls and I've got to say as a group, you were absolutely brilliant - not just saying that to swell your head or anything but it was purely angelic - and I sat in the seat just chilling, it really was uplifting. Unfortunately, I had to go at the interval as my parents/nephew were my guests and I felt guilty that they were at my place. But I got the best bit of the concert. Just sorry I missed the second half. Put it up on Boards when you're performing again, I'll definitely go along, (without the nephew). And I've got to say St. Coleman's was such a beautiful venue for the choir, well done to you all. Judes

Advertisement