Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Source

• 25-06-2006 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of an open-source alternative to like x-drive? I would like to be able to provide web-based access to my PC at home but I cant seem to find any good open-source software that does this.

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 md5

PDD wrote:
    Does anyone know of an open-source alternative to like x-drive? I would like to be able to provide web-based access to my PC at home but I cant seem to find any good open-source software that does this.

PDD
    Try to use nfs(network file system).
    More info:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NFSClientHowTo

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NFSServerHowTo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Hmm,
    I'd have to disagree with you on nfs as being a good solution to this scenario.
    What OS is PDD going to be using as a client?

Take a look at sshfs. It's a good simple answer if both systems are unix based.
    Alternatively, webdav was designed to give file access in these kind of situations.

These however, are just about file access.
    Maybe PDD wants desktop access a la VNC, NX or similar.

What exactly are you looking for PDD?

NiallB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

PDD be more specific please,
    Do not use nfs for anything other than LAN.
    you can admin you machine via a web interface using webmin.

what's wrong with ssh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys,

Sorry about that I thought I was pretty specific. Basically I would be looking for an application that I could install on my home PC (which would sit behind a firewall) and be able to access the files on my drive or selected folders from a web browser anywhere in the world. I could just as easy sign up to a service similar to X_Drive but they all have limits and quota's and stuff so I thought would see if there was any open-source software that basically provides the same service.

I would be interested in using something like VNC but it would need to be accessible via browser like www.logmein.com as I would like to access it from work and queue up Bit Torrent downloads etc. I know many Bit Torrent clients have web administration interfaces but it would be nice to be able to access my desktop and do different things rather than leave the PC idle when Im at work etc.

PDD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

VNC has a java interface doesnt it? or RealVNC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

VNC is outdated imho. It's slow, it's ugly and it's insecure. If you're considering that kind of solution i would recommend freeNX http://freenx.berlios.de/
    There's plenty of guides online to get it working and once you've tried it you'd never go back to vnc because of it's speed and security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

FreeNX is great, but it's a pain in the hole to set up (IMO). VNC does have a web interface. I'd recommend using VNC since you're probably not going to be using the system a lot.

If you were telecommuting or whatever, then freenx is /defintely/ worth the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

FreeNX isnt too bad depending on the os flavours. Plenty of good guides online for Debian/Ubuntu, Gentoo and Window$. Only took me an hour or two on ubuntu and everything that conceivably could have gone wrong did.
    I really wouldnt use vnc in work, any halfway decent IT staff member will be able to see all your traffic. I set up freenx at home to avoid exactly that. If you do decide vnc is for you search google for a guide on ssh tunnelling using putty.

Advertisement