Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portugal vs Holland

• 25-06-2006 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Right, lets get the disaster show that was England vs Ecuador out of our systems and look forward to some real football.
    Portugal are a bit of a boogey team for Holland, the Dutch have only beaten them once in their last 9 meetings.
    Reports doing the rounds that Van Nistelrooy is going to be dropped for Kuyt although nothing confirmed. Both teams are set to restore players that were rested for their respective final group games.
    Tough enough to call, but I'm going for Holland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

This game has the pointental to be great, but it could turn out to be just as bad as the England game. I'm not to sure about holland yet and i think portugal have a better midfield, so im going for portugal 2-1...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Very hard to call, should be an excellent game though.

I have RVN as top scorer so hopefully he will start and bang some in and progress. Only reason i am up for the dutch.

I think the dutch will just edge this. I think going throug their group so easily will give them alot of confience.

3-1 to holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Talk of Kuyt starting instead of RVN, the Dutch are not great but Portugal a bit fragile for me. 2-1 Holland.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Holland should shade it. Hope RVN plays, should be interesting class with C Ronaldo...niether team has a chance of reaching final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`ll go for Portugal but purely cause I have them in the sweep in work.

It should be a tight game,very hard to call.Holland are very well organised but Portugal seem to have more potential match winners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I think we're looking at Extra Time in this one. Penalties...and a saviour to this Sunday night. 2-2. Portugal win in extra time or penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Ruud will prove his worth tonight. I also think Ronaldo will prove his aswell.

I honastly can't call this game, but I think it could be the best match of the WC so far.

BBC radio say RVN is on the bench.

Mike.

PHB wrote:
    I think Ruud will prove his worth tonight. I also think Ronaldo will prove his aswell.

I honastly can't call this game, but I think it could be the best match of the WC so far.

A Boring 0-0 draw awaits so. Thanks PHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

This is such a tough one to call,i can see it going to extra time,maybe penalties.

Does anyone know if Paulo Ferreira is playing?I think he would keep Robben quiet.A lot of Hollands creativity comes through Robben so it could be a deciding factor if he is kept quiet.

If i had to choose i would go with Portugal to go through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Odd stat which wont change tonight Porutgal have never drawn a game in the WC.

Hopefully it be a decent game.

kdjac

Yeh it appears Ruud has been dropped, not suprising considering Van Bastans comments yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

0-0....Portugal to win by 1-0 in extra time, or it might even go to penalties. If that happens Holland could win purely on the fact VDS is in goal for them.

p.s.
    I betcha Kuyt will have a poor game, simply cause of the way Holland play, he won't get enough service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

kuyt for MOM and to get a hatrick now.

:)

Then signs for Liverpool!

Mike.

And breaks his leg.

Against Blackburn. ;)

Miek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hopefully Holland come through for me so i get at leats 1 result right today. Never expected Ecuador to get so starstruck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well if there is a world cup for horrible jerseys then Holland Away is already in the final.

This game is hard to call. On paper you'd say a draw but the Portuguese form has been good and bad in spells so it depends which team turns up tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Pigman II wrote:
    Well if there is a world cup for horrible jerseys then Holland Away is already in the final.

would have to agree, horrible strip. holland are going to win this one in the 90 minutes.

Naturally.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Hope Holland win but have a few squids on Portugal as they seem more likely to me.

Ronaldo's doing great so far, the players that need to stop him are now booked, so the game is wide open for him.

I fear for him now to be honest. ;)

Better game so far than the whole of the england game.

well the ref is a clown, but then thats par for the course this WC.

Ah...the PHB curse strikes. Ronaldo injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Pigman II wrote:
    it's not the strip itself i dislike, it's that it looks like something the usa should be wearing, not holland!

• Advertisement

It's an impact injury for Ronaldo, so he should be able to walk it off.
    *cough* Kuyt crap so far *cough*

Oh yes what a goal.

Ronaldo wins it back {I know, what the ****]
    Deco's ball in
    Pauletta's control
    Maniche dribble and blast

Scolari you genius

delighted portugal have scored as match was a bit drab b4 the goal, might heat up now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

kinaldo wrote:
    it's not the strip itself i dislike, it's that it looks like something the usa should be wearing, not holland!

Should be and have done.
    http://www.soccerhall.org/graphics/2005/GameofTheirLives/1950WC_Squad.jpg
    the USA team that beat England in 1950 at the World Cup.

Thanks PHB :(

Ronaldo started well, but he just can't seem to shake it off.
    Pretty disappointed, poor guy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

PHB wrote:
    Ronaldo started well, but he just can't seem to shake it off.
    Pretty disappointed, poor guy.

Jasus PHB you really are a jinx. You put the curse on him. Poor lad is devestated there after been taken off.

Van persie really should have scored there. He did all the hard work perfectly but could not put it in the back of the net.

Crying and all. PHB you really are something else.....swinging brick for a heart!

Thoroughly agree with George Hamilton about the disgrace of the total football technicians resorting to those tactics.

Robben, the boy who cried wolf. Studs in the shoulder and nothing happens!

The portugese are down to 10 men Costinha has been sent off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Robben, the boy who cried wolf. Studs in the shoulder and nothing happens!

Serves the ****er right for diving earlier!
    Kuyt missed a bit of a sitter imo. When Van Persie weaved in and out and hit his shot wide, on the replay anyone notice Kuyt shy away from the ball when any bit of contact would have taken it in?

/Costinha off for second yellow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Rightly so, wtf was he thinking he was already lucky to be still on the pitch.

Lots of diving but some vicious tackles flying around, wouldexpect another red in 2nd half.

kdjac

put a tenner on someone 2 be sent off (2.3 on betfair) about 3 minutes b4 Costinha saw red, has been a dirty match and it seemed a certainty

Jasus PHB you really are a jinx.

I know, it's the problem when you have faith in players. btw, that's how Ronaldo normally plays for Portugal, you only got to see 30 minutes of it though unforuntatly, hopefully you'll get to see more.

Costinha off for a 2nd yellow, what a ****ing retard.

Good game I think, not great, it's gona get better in the 2nd half now with 11 v 10 trying to hold it.

Kuyt quite poor unsuprisingly, he's not getting anything from Robben or Van Persie or the midfield. He'll be blamed for it, get taken off, Ruud will come on, and the same will happen, unless Robben or Van Persie are nice enough to pass the ball for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I thought Kuyt showed some nice touches, he has good feet and I hate the guy!

RVP and Robben are getting **** all of the ball as it is, the problem is the Dutch midfield don't know how to link the midfield and attack. Sneijder needs to get forward more as Van Bommel and Cocu certainly don't do it enough. Van der Vaart would be a welcome change imo.

Bleugh! The Portugese may have set some sort of record for high boot "tackles". The Dutch have been brutal with all the rhyme and rhythm of England.

Mike.

I thought Kuyt showed some nice touches, he has good feet and I hate the guy!

He had one moment near the start of the match, but hasn't been given anything to do, and when he's got it, he has tended to lose it.

What the ****!
    Weirdest chance ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

bloody hell, ive heard of the flying dutchman, but this is silly. those boys are going down at any opportunity.

should have scored twice in 2 minutes mind you.

this ref is pretty card happy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement