Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portugal vs Holland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This is the kind of game which prove that some footballers do not have a brain.

The ref was dishing out yellow cards like they were going out of fashion yet we have:

Costina on a yellow card, in the middle of the park, decides to dive for the ball with his hand ... 2nd yellow.. off

Deco on a yellow card decides to pick the ball up and not give it back so he can waste a few seconds.... 2nd yellow... off

They have handed one of the worst teams in the knockouts a massive advantage for the QF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

What an entertaining, uberly bizzare game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Ok I said a number of weeks I wouldnt be posting on boards much more, but for tonight I feel I cant not say something. I am truly devasted, I am Dutch first off. I must start by saying our performance was a joke, and Dirk Kuyt should never play for Holland, but I shouldnt blame that youngster primarily because we were atrocious to say the least in every position. Our performance so far has been far from glittering or convincing, some of Van Basten decisions have astounded me.

Now Ruud was left out tonight and was not even brought on, that certainly suggests there was a row , so maybe he deserves all he has got at Man U for his disruptive nature, besides he has been abysmal so far the WC . One good thing to come out of tonights performance is Robin Van Persie, I shall never say bad thing about this lad ever again when he plays for Arsenal, he has brilliant ability. Thats all I can say about this WC for us, I am going to Holland on Wednesday for a 2 week holiday, I am most bitterly disappointed I wont get to enjoy the carnival atmosphere in holland.

Now then the real problem of all: THE REFEREE

This man must never and I mean never be allowed ref a WC game ever again. 17 yellow cards and 4 reds is an absolute disaster. We hear about Graham Poll and the massive mistake he made, well the moment this man booked Mark Van Bommel in the 1st minute he lost control of the game. This man is an insult to referees, the world cup, both teams and worst of football. I feel sorry for Deco and Costinha, hell I feel sorry for anyone who had to take part in that game.

I leave you a very upset and bitterly disappointed dutch fan.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'd say taking Ronaldo out at the start was premeditated.

:D You think? That was so obvious it was untrue.

Fully concur with all the Kuyt bashing. 2nd time seeing him at the World Cup, and he looked awful both times. No imaginination, no positional sense, nothing.

Quite the picture seeing Deco and Gio chatiing at the end of the game alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

LOTP wrote:
    heard that with regards to figo's headbutt, its a double jeopardy situation, where he cant be punished for the same crime twice. it would be different if the ref claims to have booked him for something else tho....
    That's what I was getting at earlier. The booking seemed pretty delayed from the time he headbutted the Dutch chap. You could clearly see that the referee had his back turned when it happened, so unless he has eyes on the back of his head, I don't see how he could have seen it.
    I also think that rule is a bit stupid. Why couldn't a panel overrule a **** decision? Especially when you have a ref as incompetent as this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Willstev wrote:
    . 17 yellow cards and 4 reds is an absolute disaster.

16 cards shown, four of which were reds

and with regards to the ref not seeing it, dont all the refs have the earpiece in this WC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It wasn't solely the ref's fault, the seasoned Portugese simply took advantage f their less experienced and younger opponents by winding them up at every given opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

willstev wrote:
    ow then the real problem of all: THE REFEREE

This man must never and I mean never be allowed ref a WC game ever again. 17 yellow cards and 4 reds is an absolute disaster.

Which of those bookings do you think were harsh? To be fair most of them warrented a booking. It's not the refs fault that these so called professionals acted like idiots on the pitch. And it was 16 yellows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

gimmick wrote:
    Quite the picture seeing Deco and Gio chatiing at the end of the game alright.

lol, definitely! :D

The ref set the standard by booking van Bommel in the first couple of minutes, surely the rest would have copped on that he was taking no crap? Obviously not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

It wasn't solely the ref's fault, the seasoned Portugese simply took advantage f their less experienced and younger opponents by winding them up at every given opportunity

bouhlarouz would disagree i would say

Yeah but Figo went down as if he had been shot, they can't feckin see everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

well I think thats Van Basten's coaching career down the toilet :) Great player but horrible coach. He left Roy Makaay out of the squad to include BOTH Jan Vennegoor and that lump Kuyt. I thought RvN must have been injured. Holland overall though played poorly, hopefully Portugal will be able to field a team against England!

edit: One of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen too. Did he really need to book virtually every foul?

It's perfect for England, Deco out, Ronaldo possibly - might not be such a bad WC for them after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yeah but Figo went down as if he had been shot, they can't feckin see everything!

So did van bommel. The diving from both sides was embarissing.

Kuyt the worst bloody player iv seen , and im dutch this guy is complete wankl!!!

i was referring to his tackle on CR. Dont get me wrong, i think Bouhlarouz is a legend, but that tackle on CR was akin to Roy Keanes tackle on Alf Inge Haaland. Maybe a little less viscious.

Ive never liked Figo. always seemed a greasy player in terms of appearence and play.

Yes of course but the original point was that it wasn't the ref's fault completely, the players through their deception and fouling and diving made more than a contribution

LOTP wrote:
    i was referring to his tackle on CR. Dont get me wrong, i think Bouhlarouz is a legend, but that tackle on CR was akin to Roy Keanes tackle on Alf Inge Haaland. Maybe a little less viscious.

Ive never liked Figo. always seemed a greasy player in terms of appearence and play.

Oh right sorry mate, yes that was despicable

• Advertisement

ill agree that it was a mix of the ref setting such a low bar for a yellow and a mix of the players playing for fouls if you will.

should note that none of the tackles were bad enough to warrant a straight red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's perfect for England, Deco out, Ronaldo possibly - might not be such a bad WC for them after all!
    Yeah! They could end up in the semis despite being f*cking terrible for the whole tournament! Damn you Portugal!

LOTP wrote:
    ill agree that it was a mix of the ref setting such a low bar for a yellow and a mix of the players playing for fouls if you will.
    Definately. The ref can't take all of the blame, the level of sportsmanship in this game was embarrassing to the competition, even the sport.

it was entertaining tho

saw that the first time. it wasnt funny then either

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

LOTP wrote:
    it was entertaining tho

That it was!

Chubb76 wrote:
    You already posted that like 5 seconds ago :)

plus it had the bonus of proving my opinions of figo correct. LOTP 1, Figo 0

• Advertisement

LOTP comedian you shud be hahaha

i know did and wanted to again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Chubb76 wrote:
    i know did and wanted to again

Go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

ivanov and poll should have a card-off contest, see image

Anyone with an image of Deco and Gio chatting away on the steps when they were sent off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

If Van Basten sent his players out with the express intent of injuring Ronaldo perhaps RvN was benched for disagreeing with the use of such tactics against his club teammate?

And even with a depleted side I think Portugal will beat England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Van Basten sent his players out with the express intent of injuring Ronaldo perhaps RvN was benched for disagreeing with the use of such tactics against his club teammate?

That's unlikely.
    First cause Ruud and Ronaldo have a bit of a history, and it's probably why Ruud is leaving United.

Second, why would VDS, who is definally staying at United, allow that sort of thing.

The problem between Ruud and Van Basten is that Van Basten didn't seem to rate Ruud, and dropped him.

Earthhorse wrote:
    And even with a depleted side I think Portugal will beat England.

Lets hope you are right!

PHB wrote:
    The problem between Ruud and Van Basten is that Van Basten didn't seem to rate Ruud, and dropped him.

or as Fade2black said
    nistelrooy must have ****ed Van basten's wife. There really is nothing else I can think of for a manager to do something so career threatening and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

That was ...memorable.

Curse the gigantic horseshoe England are carrying around, these suspensions will carry a heavy toll, especially if Figo is retroactively punished. Sven will no doubt innovate to neuter Englands advantage in brilliantly original fashion (Crouch for right back perhaps, Beckham to play in goal for those accurate kick-outs) which, coupled with Scolari's unerring competance, stoke the soggy embers of my disappointment.

Van Basten forgot the old idiom of football management, one which isn't adhered to nearly enough: for fúcks sake put your ego aside. It is an ugly arrogance that denies the entire will of a nation (Hi Holland, could hear you screaming from here when Jan V.O.H came on) for what, comparatively, have to be petty reasons. Mathemathically, van Nistelrooy was Hollands best chance of scoring after the 70 minute mark and van Basten couldn't put millions of Dutch people before himself. Sad to see, very fond of him as a player.

To temper the Ruud-mania however, George Hamilton and most people here seem to be assuming that if Ruud had come on, he'd have played like we like to imagine him doing from watching most of his United career, lashing her in with Mulleran reliability, rather than how he has played for the last few months, including this World Cup - the sort of anonymous performances which meant that his exclusion from the first XI tonight seemed a reasonable decision from my point of view. He is not the guarantee he was.

Carvalho was man of the match. Ironically neither him, Meira or Ooijer got a yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I think that Dutch squabbling and turmoil caused them to let another world cup go. There was obviously an argument between Van Basten and Van Nistelrooy which resulted in Van Nistelrroy being left out for the whole match. Kuyt was terrble, no guile, no intelligence, didn't get into the box to get on the end of things. Hennogor of Hesselik or whatever he's called is just a lump. If Ruud was on the pitch, i fully believe he would have scored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Carvalho was man of the match

Agreed.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I hope, really hope, that Portugal beat England. I think I may be in love with Deco, so I'm gonna need Portugal to get into the final before I see him again. Scolari is a legend, and Ronaldo deserves something after what was essentially an assault on him. I'm no great fan of Figo, but if he doesn't get that retrospective ban, I think they'll still do it. Costinha is no great loss considering the similar talent they have in the squad. A midfield of Figo, Simao, Maniche, Tiago and Ronaldo should do the job.

It fookin' better anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I hope, really hope, that Portugal beat England. I think I may be in love with Deco, so I'm gonna need Portugal to get into the final before I see him again. Scolari is a legend, and Ronaldo deserves something after what was essentially an assault on him. I'm no great fan of Figo, but if he doesn't get that retrospective ban, I think they'll still do it. Costinha is no great loss considering the similar talent they have in the squad. A midfield of Figo, Simao, Maniche, Tiago and Ronaldo should do the job.

It fookin' better anyway!
    But Figo might get a suspension and Ronaldo may still be injured, i still think they'll beat England because England are absolute dirt.

AFAIK, Deco will only miss one game which will be the quarter finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

But Figo might get a suspension and Ronaldo may still be injured, i still think they'll beat England because England are absolute dirt.

Yeah maybe. But Ronaldo looked alright tbh, hopefully more of an impact injury. Figo got a yellow for something during that headbutt incident, and if the ref indeed saw it FIFA can't suspend him. If he didn't, then Figo got a yellow for something small, which in the context of the game was terrible refereeing.

If they do lose both of them along with Deco, I honestly don't know if they could do it against England.
    Aquos76 wrote:
    AFAIK, Deco will only miss one game which will be the quarter finals.

Oh that's excellent then. I thought it was 2 games for a red, but I don't really know why I thought that, I'll try check it out. In that case, I really want Portugal to win, because then I'm not relying on Portugal beating Brazil/Spain to see my beloved Deco again. Super!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,781 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Awful foul by Boulahrouz on C. Ronaldo surely started this disgrace of a match, not helped by the out-of-control referee. Shame on the lot of them, except perhaps Scolari and of course Maniche, who scored a great goal

Terrible play from the Dutch, who were going absolutely nowhere and utterly disgraceful behaviour by those Portugese drama queens, led by w@nker Figo

WTF was MvB thinking before the start of the campaign, to include that incompetent eejit Kuyt in his 23 and not the Dutch topscorer, Klaas Jan Huntelaar? And then play Kuyt at the expense of RvN and not even substitute? Is it me or did Kuyt deliberately hold back to insure he wouldn't score? :confused:

Anyways, England are in the semis already...
    fade2black wrote:
    nistelrooy must have fucked Van basten's wife

ROFL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Isn't it two games for a straight red?

it is, but noone got a straight red

i dont think we can judge kuyt by his performances in the WC. he might be the opposite of your salif diaou's and your diouf's. they played well for Senegal, and crap in the EPL. maybe Kuyt will play well in the EPL, despite playing crap for Holland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Anyone with an image of Deco and Gio chatting away on the steps when they were sent off?

Hopefully someone will find one, one of the most memorable images I've seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

will they use video evidence of Figo's head butt?

They have big screens in the stadium. I'm susprised with all the comotion after the head butt the ref didn't look at the screen and make a decision there. Or do they not show those replays into the stadium for fear of enciting riots?

• Advertisement
Advertisement