Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

replacement spring

Options
  • 25-06-2006 7:03pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    The last few weeks my 97 BMW 318 was making a clink sound when ever i hit a pothole. It was coming from the rear passenger side. Decided today to remove the rear wheel. Found the lower part of the spring had broken. this piece was ratling round when ever i hit a pothole. Is it a big job to replace this??? Cost of part? Do i need to change them in pairs? Could this affectthe handlling?

See pictures of broken part

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you sure you uploaded the right picture there?

you should replace them in pairs alright.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Right picture uploaded now. I should of checked the picture a second time.

oh dear. you need replacement springs!

colm_mcm wrote:
    oh dear. you need replacement springs!

Sure do. Hope it won't be expensive!!!

Anybody know if they are hard to replace. Are they hard to get out. Not an easy thing to remove from a car in a scarp yard. May have yto buy new.

buy new ones, they're not too expensive

get your shocks checked while you're at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

kikel wrote:
    May have yto buy new.
    will have to for sure, old ones might snap on u.
    i think u need special tools like a spring compressor. possibly job for mechanic more than diy.

absolutely, and if new shocks are required, it's as well to get it all done together.

colm_mcm wrote:
    absolutely, and if new shocks are required, it's as well to get it all done together.

I think the shocks are ok. they are sepaerate to the springs, unlike the front where they go through the center of the spring.

Compression tools!!! Think it's definately a mechanic job then. Better check the old finances then.

Ah sure you're driving a Beemer, you must be loaded ;)

colm_mcm wrote:
    Ah sure you're driving a Beemer, you must be loaded ;)

LOL. it's a 97. A new mazda2 cost twice as much. see link
    http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=54892520051031&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Best bet is to get 4 new springs and get a mechanic to put them in!! You need spring compressors, a vice and a lot of time to change them if you don't know exactly what you are doing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Springs are DIY'able.You just need a spring clamp/compressor (there about 15 - 20 euro max) If the shock isnt thru the spring then it'l probably be handier again.

Im sure one of the guys more familiar with Bmw's could talk you step by step thru it.Incedently ive never seen a spring broken on a car!

eireal wrote:
    Incedently ive never seen a spring broken on a car!

Weird i know. Don't know what could have caused it either. No major knocks or anything.

Got 2 new springs from GSF today. €70. Tomorrow i will fit them with the help of a mate. (he knows what he's doing unlike me)

Advertisement