Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vamping

Options
  • 25-06-2006 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

Ive seen/heard this term with reference to music especially on pandora.com

Does anyone know what it means?:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I seem to remember it being the music that's played to the crowd at a gig before the main act comes out. I could, however, be wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Um it could mean a woman who flaunts her sexual charm, To create with little skill, the art of providing rhythm back up for dancing, extemporize on a piano etc. I know a lot more...
    I imagine on a place like Pandora, it is term that refers to prolonged improvisation over a repeated chord change.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Vamping is a guitar playing technique to change the sound. Its basically cutting the ringing of the strings by placing your fingers back on the strings right after they have been strummed... You dampen the strings with your fingers. Or you keep your strumming hand constantly on the strings to dampen the sound.

Think of piano pedals. You push the pedal so that there is no dampening,the notes ring for a long time. Release the pedal and the notes ring for a short time. Its similar to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

It's none of the above I'm afraid...a vamp is a repeated rhytmic/melodic phrase that happens before a soloist comes in..usually the phrase "Vamp till ready" is on a lot of Jazz arrangments...it's just improvising until the melody is ready to begin..

Fusion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

:confused: well im glad thats cleared up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

well im glad thats cleared up

:D
    Fusion251 wrote:
    it's none of the above I'm afraid...a vamp is a repeated rhytmic/melodic phrase that happens before a soloist comes in..usually the phrase "Vamp till ready" is on a lot of Jazz arrangments...it's just improvising until the melody is ready to begin..

Seems I should have said that, in reference to guitar when not playing jazz then vamping is as i described. Anyway, no idea where i picked up the word from and am likely to be using it incorrectly all these years, but managed to find reference to vamping guitar technique here. Which describes pretty much what i consider vamping to be on guitar.

So it seems a word can have more than one meaning :eek:

dalk wrote:
    :D

Seems I should have said that, in reference to guitar when not playing jazz then vamping is as i described. Anyway, no idea where i picked up the word from and am likely to be using it incorrectly all these years, but managed to find reference to vamping guitar technique here. Which describes pretty much what i consider vamping to be on guitar.

So it seems a word can have more than one meaning :eek:

Yeah it has a few meanings...mine is more right then the rest though...just cos...no questions asked...hahaha

Fusion

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fusion251 wrote:
    It's none of the above I'm afraid...

Q: What is "vamping"?

'Vamping' is a term that refers to extended improvisation over a repeated chord change.
    I imagine on a place like Pandora, it is term that refers to prolonged improvisation over a repeated chord change.
    More right?

More right?

Yes MORE RIGHT. There is no room for grammatical correctness when putting a point across...

Fusion

Advertisement