Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car change ideas

Options
  • 25-06-2006 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Thinking of changing my car soon. These are the options with some thoughts - do you/have you owned/driven any of them

BMW 2006 520d M- Pack - underpowered?
    BMW 2005 525. 530d M- Pack - current favourite (but no bloody ipod connectivity in the 2005 models)
    VW Toureg 2006 2.5d - bit sluggish?
    VW Toureg 2005 3.0 V6 d - havent test driven
    Audi A6 3.0td Quattro - not too pushed on the look from the front
    Nissan Murano - fantastic looking but seriously thirsty

Any other options? Main criteria - good fuel economy (ignoring the Murano), decent/sporty looking, decent performance, lots of room /boot space

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you can afford the Touareg 3.0, then you should consider a Lexus RX400h. They come fully loaded at €73,000 and have unbeilevable performance, they are also much quieter than diesels

Wouldn't fancy selling the Phaeton on in a few years time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

TheBazman wrote:
    Main criteria - good fuel economy, decent/sporty looking, decent performance, lots of room /boot space

Cheers

Could never understand the 'good fuel economy' part of these kind of questions. If you're prepared to drop the kind of cash that you're talking about then why worry about diesels and fuel econ?

Save youself loads and buy something like this and put the money saved towards a dension dice ipod kit (integrates perfectly with the mf steering wheel controls and radio) and enjoy the performance.

Who in their right mind is going to buy a 530i over a 530d?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

AlienGav wrote:

yeah I have seen that Phaeton. I actually think for what your getting that isnt bad value (if you can say that about a 70k car). I think the big depreciation "hit" has almost been taken. It certainly takes luxury to a new level but... I dunno there is just something that I cant warm to about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Bluehair wrote:
    Could never understand the 'good fuel economy' part of these kind of questions. If you're prepared to drop the kind of cash that you're talking about then why worry about diesels and fuel econ?

Because some people don't mind spending a lot of money on a car, but like to be able to run at a reasonable cost because they clock up fair mileage?

I'd love the Phaeton, the diesel might hold its value some bit?

Why not a 530d?

TheBazman wrote:
    I dunno there is just something that I cant warm to about it

Most people will wonder why your passat looks bigger than their one? :)

Bluehair wrote:

Save youself loads and buy something like this and put the money saved towards a dension dice ipod kit (integrates perfectly with the mf steering wheel controls and radio) and enjoy the performance.

I actually like the torque that diesels give you also. That is a nice car with a lot of extras - altho I do prefer the look of the 5 series with the M-Pack ( I know it is a lot of money for little substance)

GS450h or RX400h? anyone?

gp_gs450h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

colm_mcm wrote:

colm_mcm, you're in the trade I think...

What's the story with hybrids & resale value? Given that a lot of people might be nervous of them. Also, replacement/future models may be a significent step forward, undermining current models (?)

Also...if you are from the sticks & don't do a lot of stop/start driving are their advantages not seriously nullified?

I'm not anti-hybrid, just interested in the perspective of people in the trade...

I am, perhaps a little biassed alright. Resale value on RX400h will be rock solid as there is no diesel option on the RX. it also has novelty value and great image.

GS450h should have a similar fate, although the practicallity issue of only having half a boot may put some people off.

The Lexus hybrids work differently to the Prius, they use the hybrid system more for power than economy, that said, fuel consumption is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The Lexus RX400h uses the electric motors for extra power, The E CVT gearbox is very smooth and there is excellent power, The electric motors give excellent torque and response. Also with the VRT reduction a 13K discount, they have a serious spec on them.

dingding wrote:
    The Lexus RX400h uses the electric motors for extra power, The E CVT gearbox is very smooth and there is excellent power, The electric motors give excellent torque and response. Also with the VRT reduction a 13K discount, they have a serious spec on them.
    Read somewhere that there is quite a bit of torque steer on the RX400h's ?? Cant see how from a 4x4

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nor me. Torque steer is fwd exclusive.

The bulk of the power is delivered to the front wheels, The rear wheels are driven by an electric motor, there is no mechanical linkage like other cars. When the car is driving normally it is a front wheel drive vehicle, the rear wheels are used when extra power when acceleration is required. Under full acceleration there could be 230 bhp going through the front wheels and 30bhp going through the back.

The power steering adjusts to negate some of the effects but there is still torque steer when you floor it.

Motoring hacks will go on hearsay and jump on any bandwagon that makes their article look intelligent. I've driven RX400h's and getting the power down isn't really an issue unless you're a complete idiot.

I would agree, the ammount of acceleration that you would need to cause a problem with torque steer would not be normal. Remember it was designed for the american market to rival v8 powered 4X4. The fuel economy for this vehicle is excellent for the power and weight. You will get better than 10 L per 100 km on mostly short runs and city driving. You will get 8.2 L per 100 km on a long run. That would rival many 2L petrol cars.

The basic spec has everything, take one for a drive yourself and see if the torque steer is that much of a problem.

Agreed, and the technology is miles ahead of Touareg, Murano etc.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Agreed, and the technology is miles ahead of Touareg, Murano etc.

They look nicer though!

• Advertisement

the Murano looks nicer, the Touareg though? looks a bit cheap?

Would not look an "Muscular" as the Toureg, The Lexus looks nice Hundreds of modified car drivers can't be worng :) (lexus lights):D

The rear LED lights on the RX look pretty cool. IS200 style lights are "sooo 2001"

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:

No thanks
    dingding wrote:
    the rear wheels are used when extra power when acceleration is required. Under full acceleration there could be 230 bhp going through the front wheels and 30bhp going through the back

Max 30bhp through the rear wheels? Very impressive that ;)

Technically it is 4WD, but surely in reality it is torque steer FWD with a mouse giving it a push from the back now and then?

I have thought about the RX and it must be said the spec is very impressive,but again they ust dont float my boat. I saw a couple recently (non- hybrid) 1999 and 2000 (may have been imports) and they look no different to the new models

Going on looks it would have to be the Murano, however the fuel economy is crap.

old one
    Lexus_RX300_2002-AFC_007.jpg

new one
    01.jpg

bit of a difference

Yep different but imo not significantly so - the old one I saw was from the back and looked very similar. Anyway not a huge deal its still an impressive motor, but possibly not for me. I must try and arrange a test drive

Remember diesel economy V8 performance. :)

and it's soooooo quiet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement