Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup - RTE Widescreen problem

• 25-06-2006 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted before but I have been out of the country for the past week so I might have missed something.

Before I went away I'm pretty sure I got a proper widescreen picture when I was watching the World Cup on RTE. SInce I have come back, I now have black lines at the top and bottom of the screen. I've been watching the games on BBC/ITV because of this and only turn over to RTE for the analysis. Not only that but the colour seems really bright and the volume is much lower than other channels.

By the way - I'm watching on NTL digital if that is any way relevant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You are correct I have the same here, it was 16:9 now its 4:3 with narrow bars top and bottom. I think its called "Super 16mm" format (if it were a movie).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm on NTL digital, and I get black lines at the top and bottom of RTE and BBC, but not UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Grand no bars on Sky, nice quality of footage from zee Germans but its been an impressively organsied WC wouldnt expect anything less.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Despatch wrote:
    Sorry if this has been posted before but I have been out of the country for the past week so I might have missed something.

Before I went away I'm pretty sure I got a proper widescreen picture when I was watching the World Cup on RTE. SInce I have come back, I now have black lines at the top and bottom of the screen. I've been watching the games on BBC/ITV because of this and only turn over to RTE for the analysis. Not only that but the colour seems really bright and the volume is much lower than other channels.

By the way - I'm watching on NTL digital if that is any way relevant?

I've noticed the same thing about the widescreen picture and the bright colour. (on NTL Digital too) Obviously costing RTE too much money so it looks like we're back to the usual 1990's standards with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mike65 wrote:
    I think its called "Super 16mm" format (if it were a movie).

Mike.
    Never heard it been called that before Mike...just thought it was called Widescreen or 1.75:1 or sometimes 1.8:1

Must check later about the black bars though...tbh haven't noticed them

• Advertisement
Advertisement