Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

K Club employees threaten strike over pay row

Options
  • 25-06-2006 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

AKA Unions hold country to ransom again.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/06/25/story264866.html

They should be sacked, the whole country is looking forward to the Ryder Cup and these whingers are trying to ruin it.

Whether their wage claim is legitimate or they are just pure profiteering they should be sacked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

ballooba wrote:

Whether their wage claim is legitimate or they are just pure profiteering they should be sacked.

Are you serious? You'd be quite happy for them to be sacked, even if 100% in the right, because it interfers with a sporting event? You don't believe people have the right to withdraw their labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The timing of their claim is what I take issue with not the claim itself.

If they have a problem with their wages they should have sorted it out before now or waited until after the Ryder Cup. Otherwise people might think that they are profiteering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ballooba wrote:

If they have a problem with their wages they should have sorted it out before now or waited until after the Ryder Cup. Otherwise people might think that they are profiteering.
    Or people might think that they are using the high profile nature of the course given the event to highlight their claim, with the hopes that it might speed the resolve of the management to rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ballooba wrote:

I would imagine they have worked like slaves over the past few months. It is special event so maybe they deserve something extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

pfft, the k club will send them packing and hire some other employees who would be more than willing to take the jobs.

cowboy tactics by the union. they aren't being worked like slaves, they are being paid to do a job. and paid quite well when tips are included.

• Advertisement

Or people might think that they are using the high profile nature of the course given the event to highlight their claim, with the hopes that it might speed the resolve of the management to rectify it.

Don't you mean abusing?

Funny that there has never been any industrial disputes there before now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are paid **** all balooba , something like €0.50 an hour over the minimum wage which is €0.50 an hour more than I would ever pay you , and even that much is far too much:p

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

The timing of their industrial action couldn't be better ! All strikes are planned to cause maximum disruption. It highlights their case nationally and is an incentive for managment to resolve the problem quickly.

And maybe they have been in discussion with managment regarding pay claims for months ?

And whats wrong with employees profiteering ? Companies do it all the time !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

and paid quite well when tips are included.

Yes, because hotels only run with tippable front-of-house staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

so what? give the back staff a raise, and then the front staff demand one. then the back staff want to be compensated for that. its a situation that happens in every hotel, but these people are, imo, highlighting it because they can hold the k club to the knife because of the ryder cup.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    They are paid **** all balooba , something like €0.50 an hour over the minimum wage which is €0.50 an hour more than I would ever pay you , and even that much is far too much:p

My boss thinks I'm great.

Anyway, I hope the Labour court rules against acceding to their demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 johnthesavage

ballooba wrote:

The workers have said they may take strike action if the K Club refuses to accept the decision of the labour court, what's wrong with that?

The workers have said they may take strike action if the K Club refuses to accept the decision of the labour court, what's wrong with that?

I wonder what will happen if the Labour Court rules in favour of the employer?

Will the employees vote to accept the ruling or will they strike anyway.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2002/1108/jobs.html

Pity that the K Club doesn't have the option to shut down, but of course the employees know this.

Remember when these businesses raised their prices to take advantage of limited choice in the market surrounding a major sporting event? There was uproar. Articles below.
    Ireland.com 01-04-04, 12:08
    Labour calls on Harney to impose pub price conrol

The Tánaiste has been told by Labour she should introduce price controls in pubs after it emerged prices were raised to co-incide with last weekend's rugby match in Dublin.

The Director of Consumer Affairs published the names of six well-known Dublin city centre pubs which increased their prices especially for the match between Ireland and Scotland at Lansdowne Road.

Ms Carmel Foley underscored her anger at price hikes of up to €1 for a pint of stout, beer and lager in some cases. Ms Foley said her inspectors compared prices on display at a total of 10 licensed premises on Friday of last week, and on Saturday, the day of the Six Nations fixture won by Ireland to secure the Triple Crown.

She reported: "Six out of the 10 premises had increased their prices substantially - with the largest being as much as one euro for a pint of stout in Maguires, Lower Baggot Street.

"While there is no breach of the legislation - once they display the prices they are charging - consumers should be made aware of this practice.

"Customers may also be interested to note the names of the pubs which did not display increased prices.

"I fail to see the justification for such price increases."

The pubs named by the director for displaying raised prices were: Doheny and Nesbitt, Maguires, Larry Murphy's, Waterloo House, the Wellington and the 51. Price increases were on show in those premises for stout, beer and lager. Those displaying no change to normal prices in the survey were: Toners, Searsons, Lansdowne House and the Beggars Bush.

The Labour Party's spokeswoman on consumer issues, Ms Kathleen Lynch, said the Tánaiste should introduce restrictions on pub prices.

"This blatent profiteering is nothing short of exploitation of Irish people and visitors to this country," she said.

"Mary Harney has to the power to ompose a maximum price order on publicans, but chooses not to use it. Instead she advises the public to 'shop around'".

The Lord Mayor of Dublin accused pub landlords of damaging the city's tourism industry.

Mr Royston Brady said: "I fail to see the justification for such price increases."

"It shows that some publicans are intent on lining their pockets - no matter what damage it will do to the city's reputation.

"I would call on Ms Foley to regularly name and shame pubs and restaurants that are giving us a bad reputation as a very expensive destination.

"We cannot allow a small group of greedy publicans to tarnish our reputation as a welcoming city and I would encourage drinkers to shop around and not to accept being ripped off." [/b]
    The Irish Times 01.04.2004 Pubs accused of hiking prices for Six Nations

Six pubs in Dublin have been criticised by a consumers' body for allegedly taking advantage of a major rugby match to increase the price of a pint, writes Elaine Edwards.

In a survey conducted by the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs (ODCA) over two nights last weekend, six pubs in the Baggot Street area were found to have increased their prices overnight, in some cases by as much as €1 on a pint of stout.

Thousands of Scotland fans travelled to Dublin for the Six Nations match against Ireland. In six of the 10 bars surveyed, the price of a pint of stout and a number of other drinks had increased on Saturday.

The highest noted increase was in Maguire's pub on Lower Baggot Street, where the inspectors claimed the price of a pint of stout had risen from €3.90 to €4.90.

However, while the director of consumer affairs, Ms Carmel Foley, insisted last night that her inspectors were correct, the owner of the pub said he had not increased his prices by this much and was seeking legal advice on the report.

Mr Ted O'Sullivan told The Irish Times he was prepared to produce till rolls to prove this, although he was reluctant to discuss by how much his pub had increased its prices on Saturday.

In Fitzsimons' Hotel (formerly The Wellington), the price of a pint of stout increased by 50c to €4.50, according to the ODCA.

In both the Waterloo House and The 51, the increase was 40c to €4.50; in Doheny & Nesbitt's the pint went up by 20c to €4.10 and in Larry Murphy's, it increased by 10c to €4.

Ms Foley said the two inspectors had "checked and double checked" the prices on display. At six pubs, they had found one price list on their Friday visit and "a brand new, shiny price list" on Saturday.

She added that her office could only prosecute pubs where they failed to display the statutory 16-item price list.

© The Irish Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

ballooba wrote:
    AKA Unions hold country to ransom again.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/06/25/story264866.html

They should be sacked, the whole country is looking forward to the Ryder Cup and these whingers are trying to ruin it.

Firstly, how are they holding the "whole country" to ransom? I mean it is a bet of a stretch to say that when the bus or train workers go on strike, but the K-Club. A little hysterical no?

Secondly, complaining about one precieved extortion to be replaced by another level extortion is rather silly. Saying that because it is a sporting event that you want to watch the employees should put up with what ever crap working pay they have or all be sacked from their jobs is rather ridiculous. That would be the K-Club and the country (ie you) holding these workers to random just because you like golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ballooba wrote:
    Remember when these businesses raised their prices to take advantage of limited choice in the market surrounding a major sporting event? There was uproar. Articles below.

did the staff get anything out of that (apart from unqauntfibly/variable tip increases)

did the staff get anything out of that (apart from unqauntfibly/variable tip increases)

I think your missing the point, in my above example of businesses profiteering on a sporting event, they were forced to stop. The pubs were forced to back down and this practice ceased.

The unions can't be told to back down because they have the whole country by the balls.

Wicknight wrote:
    Firstly, how are they holding the "whole country" to ransom? I mean it is a bet of a stretch to say that when the bus or train workers go on strike, but the K-Club. A little hysterical no?

Your forget the millions of euro that this sporting event is going to bring into our economy. Hundreds if not thousands of people are relying on the money that this event is going to bring into the country. Not to mention that if the unions did manage to screw up other peoples hard work that future revenue would be lost because we wouldn't get a second chance.
    Wicknight wrote:
    Secondly, complaining about one precieved extortion to be replaced by another level extortion is rather silly. Saying that because it is a sporting event that you want to watch the employees should put up with what ever crap working pay they have or all be sacked from their jobs is rather ridiculous. That would be the K-Club and the country (ie you) holding these workers to random just because you like golf.

Who says these staff are being extorted. They are being paid the same wage for the same work. They just want more money to do the same work.

Sure there will be more hours but I'm sure they will be paid pro-rata. Their pay didn't suddenly get crap, why didn't they do something about it 6 months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

Maybe if they go on strike we could get the Army in to serve sandwiches to the golfers and their wives?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Good luck to them. If the club refuses to accept the court decision, then by all means they should strike. I for one would be fully behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Who says these staff are being extorted. They are being paid the same wage for the same work. They just want more money to do the same work.

Sure there will be more hours but I'm sure they will be paid pro-rata. Their pay didn't suddenly get crap, why didn't they do something about it 6 months ago?

Having worked as a chef for a few years, I would wonder if the chefs would be getting more money. In hotels like the K club, the hours can be very long on an everyday basis so having an event along will probably just add a few hours on each day and no extra money.
    Im not saying that will hapen but it wouldnt surprise me at all.
    Your forget the millions of euro that this sporting event is going to bring into our economy. Hundreds if not thousands of people are relying on the money that this event is going to bring into the country. Not to mention that if the unions did manage to screw up other peoples hard work that future revenue would be lost because we wouldn't get a second chance.

Agreed. But if you are working for a pretty low wage in the first place then I cant see someone being too bothered about how wonderful it will be for everyone else making loads of money off it and not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

ballooba wrote:
    Your forget the millions of euro that this sporting event is going to bring into our economy. Hundreds if not thousands of people are relying on the money that this event is going to bring into the country.
    And it seems that these guys are basically taking a grievance that they've been left out of the bonanza that their hard work is central to.

How unreasonable....complaining that others make millions off your hard work without you getting anything approaching a fair share.

And why not say they're holding the world to ransom? The Ryder Cup is a big, international business. Or would that by just a bit too hyperbolic, whereas suggesting that its "only" the whole nation of Ireland is reasonable?
    Not to mention that if the unions did manage to screw up other peoples hard work that future revenue would be lost because we wouldn't get a second chance.
    Indeed.

So if the employers aren't willing to give the workers a fair share of the profits, the workers are sayign they're gonna do their damndest to make sure the employers neither make those profits nor have the opportunity to do so again.
    But the K Club doesn't make the same money from it. You've just argued that there's a potload more money at stake because its such a big event. If you want to talk about "more money for the same work" thats exactly what teh K get from the Ryder Cup. If the K wasn't making more money from the work, the workers wouldn't be looking for more either.
    Sure there will be more hours but I'm sure they will be paid pro-rata.
    Well, if you're sure it'll all be fair...I take it all back. Your belief should be good enough for anyone. Who needs facts, eh?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ballooba wrote:
    Don't you mean abusing?
    No. If I had meant abusing, I would have said abusing. Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

ballooba wrote:

I cannot believe that you seriously believe someone is profiteering and should be sacked for making a legitimate wage claim.

Maybe your understanding of the word legitimate is different to mine, but seriously....you're saying its acceptable to sack someone for persuing a legitimate claim that you refuse to grant?

So...you're underpaid, you ask to be properly paid, your employer says no, you follow the legal requirements and take them to the labour court.....and should be fired for this?

I guess you don't believe in employee's rights then.

ballooba wrote:
    Funny that there has never been any industrial disputes there before now.

Funny that you think the employees somehow have the power to determine when the Labour Court should issue its findings.

ballooba wrote:
    Your forget the millions of euro that this sporting event is going to bring into our economy. Hundreds if not thousands of people are relying on the money that this event is going to bring into the country.
    And ... that still is not the "whole country" .. Ireland has survived 79 years without the Ryder Cup taking place, I'm pretty sure the country would still be here tomorrow if the Ryder Cup never happened.
    ballooba wrote:
    Who says these staff are being extorted.
    No one, what you are suggesting is a form of extortion.

The staff had said "hold on a minute, we have been working for sh*t money for years, now you have one of the biggest sporting events in the world flowing into the K-Club with all the millions that will bring in and you are still paying us sh*t money, this isn't on we are going to complain to the Labour Court."

And because they have done that you think they should be all fired. You think they should put up with the pay, despite being under paid for years and the huge extra flow into the already quite well off K-Club, keep their mouths shut and just be happy not to be fired because you don't want the Ryder Cup to be messed up?
    ballooba wrote:
    They are being paid the same wage for the same work. They just want more money to do the same work.
    And why the feck not. They are the ones that actually make the Ryder Cup happen, they are the ones that are going to actually service the event, they are the ones that everyone will be relying on for the Ryder Cup to run smoothly.

You seem to be working on the assumption that they were being paid well. As far as I can tell they are being paid crap. Now they have a chance to show the K-Club that they actually need them so they better start treating them better. Fair play to them I say. They are the ones that actually do all the work, its about them they got recongised for that.
    ballooba wrote:
    Their pay didn't suddenly get crap, why didn't they do something about it 6 months ago?
    Because this is the first time they have a international sporting event coming. It is a bargaining chip and it is also probably the straw the broke the back. The K-Club need them to be there for the Ryder Cup, so the K-Club better start treating them better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

ballooba wrote:
    ...the whole country is looking forward to the Ryder Cup and these whingers are trying to ruin it..

Ha ha ha, speak for yourself. I'm not looking forward to a load of overpaid muppets with the dress sense of Ned Flanders hitting a little ball around a glorified field with a stick. I couldn't care less if it's cancelled.

Ha ha ha, speak for yourself. I'm not looking forward to a load of overpaid muppets with the dress sense of Ned Flanders hitting a little ball around a glorified field with a stick. I couldn't care less if it's cancelled.

Well, people could say that they didn't care less if the business you work for got closed down and you ended up on the dole queue. But that wouldn't be very nice, would it.

ballooba wrote:
    Well, people could say that they didn't care less if the business you work for got closed down and you ended up on the dole queue. But that wouldn't be very nice, would it.

Thats a bit of a funny statement considering you are calling for people to get fired.

BTW which businesses are going to close down if the Ryder Cup didn't come here? And how did they not close down all the other years the Ryder Cup didn't come here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

ballooba wrote:
    And I couldn't care less if they couldn't care less!

Advertisement