Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands first COI women priests?

Options
  • 25-06-2006 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

Church of Ireland ordains two women priests
    25/06/2006 - 17:08:23

Two women were today ordained as priests in Dublin’s Christ Church Cathedral.

The Revd Elaine Dunne and the Revd Patricia Taylor were among four deacons ordained at the special Church of Ireland service.

Originally from Portmarnock, Co Dublin, the Revd Dunne is currently Curate in Castleknock.

The Revd Taylor, a mother of four and grandmother of one, is from Yorkshire but has been living in Ireland for nearly 30 years.

“I am particularly enjoying my work with the schools, hospital and nursing home,” said the Curate of Wicklow and Killiskey Parishes.

damnit more priests :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

good, it's about time women got some equality in mainstream religion. I think this is one of the last holdouts of male dominated society and it's important that it is broken down. I can't see the catholic church is Islam and Judaism softening on this issue unfortunately, but COI's decision is very positive.

www.electricpublications.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

The CoI does seem to be more liberal in certain things, compared to other sub-religions (that being the other Christian religions out there)...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It seems like plain common sense. I'd expect that most of us would agree that in general women are more in touch with their spiritual sides, while men tend to focus more on the mundane. Of course that's a gross generalisation, but it is surprising to me that there aren't more women in leading roles in mainstream religions.

Advertisement