Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS Issues With Monowall

Options
  • 25-06-2006 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be better suited to the nets/comms section

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054951722

as it looks to be more of a nat/dns issue

1 question is... are dns requests sent out on port 53 in a nat situation always?

how can i set up dns requests over nat correctly in monowall?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

download and install dnsmasq

in linux its

yum install dnsmasq

and look up the features of dnsmasq too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Sponge Bob wrote:
    download and install dnsmasq

in linux its

yum install dnsmasq

and look up the features of dnsmasq too

monowall has dnsmasq installed by default and it is active as i can se it loading up @ boot

i have attached a doc file of a small diagram and summary of the issue

it is very strange, no dns queries are being returned (they are going out fine though), i know the dns servers are working fine as i am using them with a crappy linksys router

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dns should be a forwarding cache on that monowall machine maybe ???

also tell monowall the machines behind it are windows not linux if so be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Sponge Bob wrote:
    dns should be a forwarding cache on that monowall machine maybe ???

also tell monowall the machines behind it are windows not linux if so be the case

there is no option for that, basically the monowall box has the dns addresses and dns forwarding is switched on, so it is supposed to handle all dns queries and pss them to the dns server and then pass the response back

Advertisement