Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate Sandi Thom!!!

Options
  • 25-06-2006 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

:mad: :mad: :mad: and that stupid f*cking song of hers.

"i wish i was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair" - Yeah,well i wish you'd f*ck back to where ever you came from!

Rant over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

never heard it, then again i tend to stay away from every music station on tv except mtv2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Anto McC wrote:

"i wish i was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair"

I've never even heard this tune and I already hate it just for that lyric.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anto McC wrote:
    :mad: :mad: :mad: and that stupid f*cking song of hers.

"i wish i was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair" - Yeah,well i wish you'd f*ck back to where ever you came from!

Agreed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's shocking. Lyrics are worse "When God saved the queen she turned a whiter shade of pale" ... what's worse is that the girls at work think it's some form of Anthem for girl power, as soon as it's on the radio they all claim "It's my song!".

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

I dont believe any of you! You couldn't avoid the song even if you tried. I thought the song was quite catchy when it came out first, but when its on the radio 24/7, it begins to get irritating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well not everyone listens to the radio. especially in ireland where there is nothing decent on mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Pigman II wrote:
    I've never even heard this tune and I already hate it just for that lyric.

It gets worse,a lot worse,here are the "Lyrics"(If you want to call them that) in all their glory!
    Sandi Thom wrote:
    [Chorus]
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
    In 77 and 69 revolution was in the air
    I was born too late and to a world that doesn't care

When the head of state didn't play guitar,
    Not everybody drove a car,
    When music really mattered and when radio was king,
    When accountants didn't have control
    And the media couldn't buy your soul
    And computers were still scary and we didn’t know everything

[Chorus]

When popstars still remained a myth
    And ignorance could still be bliss
    And when God Saved the Queen she turned a whiter shade of pale
    When my mom and dad were in their teens
    And anarchy was still a dream
    And the only way to stay in touch was a letter in the mail

[Chorus]

When record shops were still on top
    And vinyl was all that they stocked
    And the super info highway was still drifting out in space
    Kids were wearing hand me downs,
    And playing games meant kick arounds
    And footballers still had long hair and dirt across their face

[Chorus]

I was born too late to a world that doesn't care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I checked it up and apparently Ms. Thom was born in Scotland yet despite this uses terms like "letter in the mail"?

Says it all realy. Hope I manage to avoid that one for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ned78 wrote:
    what's worse is that the girls at work think it's some form of Anthem for girl power, as soon as it's on the radio they all claim "It's my song!".

I'm so glad I never became one of those idiotic girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

In 67 and 69 revolution was in the air

Damn straight

charles%20manson-731864.jpg

Couldnt care less about new music, but this is interesting.

She's either being just as thick as the "punk was this, hippy was that" crowd, or having dig at them.
    When music really mattered and radio was king,
    When accountants didn’t have control
    And the media couldn’t buy your soul

That's bloody hilarious.

I mean, how dare she sully one rose-tinted falsehood with another! I'm shocked.

oh, yes, and very very lazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The most annoying thing about this song is the way it was promoted. IIRC the song was "supposed" to have been written/recorded in a basement/bedroom and then gained popularity due to it's availability on a homemade website or some other such nonsense. I think that's what I heard. If it was a decent song I might have believed the PR drivel but as it's a load of cack I'll chose to believe that it had the might of a multi-national Record Company behind it from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Its quite possibly the most irritating song of the year. The "James Blunt" of 06, if you will. Granted the girl can sing but the whole meaning behind the song is truly truly awful. It makes absolutely no sense. The part that gets me is the drivel about computers being scary, when she is supposed to have launched her career over the 'net.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

BaZmO* wrote:
    The most annoying thing about this song is the way it was promoted. IIRC the song was "supposed" to have been written/recorded in a basement/bedroom and then gained popularity due to it's availability on a homemade website or some other such nonsense. I think that's what I heard. If it was a decent song I might have believed the PR drivel but as it's a load of cack I'll chose to believe that it had the might of a multi-national Record Company behind it from start to finish.
    Thing is though that the basement records/internet word of mouth thing was a publicity stunt:
    http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,108970,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

I hate that stupid song!! I went shoppin on saturday, and practically every shop had it blaring!! :mad: Its on every 2 seconds on tv as well!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Good people of boards.ie,you have restored my faith in humanity!!!
    I thought i was the only one who hated that song,thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Kwekubo wrote:
    Thing is though that the basement records/internet word of mouth thing was a publicity stunt:
    http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,108970,00.html
    Did I not just say that in my post? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I was given a free CD in HMV with another of her songs on it, When Horsepower Meant What It Said.

Sample lyrics:
    I've got a hundred horses hidden in between my wheels
    But i can't put my foot down and jump the fences in the field
    Patiently waiting to get their old jobs back
    Does her fake nostalgia for an an age that preceeds her by some margin stretch so far as to entertain some kind of Black Beauty fantasy of agrarian bliss and bucolic ramblings of an equine nature? Or am I reading too much into it due to boredom in work?

No, you're right. I'm sure she yearns to toil on the Urals/Steppes circa 1938.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

My wife bought the single, I feel dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I feel someone should at least come to her defense :D That will be me i suppose!
    Look i like the song.. i liked it when i first heard it last year and i still like it now. The Lyrics are no worse than any other crap out there. Not only are they not bad.. there are some truth to them. As far as i can tell she is just saying she wishes she was born a few decades ago before everything became so commercial and soul destroying as civilisation has become for a lot of people.

And its a catchy tune!! Have not heard any of her other stuff.. probably rubbish but i like this one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dudess wrote:
    No, you're right. I'm sure she yearns to toil on the Urals/Steppes circa 1938.
    Oh I wish I was a collective farmer with my own tractor,
    1917: Moscow Revolution was in the air,
    Born into a world where the bourgeoisie don't care,
    Oh I wish I was a collective farmer with my own tractor.

:D
    Yep, a world with caring Uncle Joe, Uncle Pol and Uncle Mao.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

God the people in this thread are so cool! They all hate Sandi Thom and have the balls and time to write about it. Respect!

What would you recommend? Keeping quiet about her pompous drivel? You also seem to have the "time" to post to a forum.

Well i rather not jump on the 'I hate sandi thom' or 'i hate james blunt' bandwagon. Even though it seems like the hip thing to do at the moment. Keane is another band which suffers from this kind of 'drivel'

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

James Blunt, you're right. I think he's crap too

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Robbo wrote:
    Oh I wish I was a collective farmer with my own tractor,
    1917: Moscow Revolution was in the air,
    Born into a world where the bourgeoisie don't care,
    Oh I wish I was a collective farmer with my own tractor.

Heh class :D

• Advertisement

mal1 wrote:
    Well i rather not jump on the 'I hate sandi thom' or 'i hate james blunt' bandwagon. Even though it seems like the hip thing to do at the moment. Keane is another band which suffers from this kind of 'drivel'

Sorry mal1 for being unpleasant earlier, but some people - myself included - get irritated by music that we find terribly bland and boring and the fact that it's on the radio all day and it's so successful and there's no getting away from it etc. You can argue that we don't have to put on the radio, but then again, why should we (the people who hate bland music) have to switch off our radios? I don't think it's bandwagon-jumping, nor hip to criticise these people. I think Keane's new single is ace by the way - but I found their earlier stuff to be very poor. Also, there are constant U2 lambastings on this forum. I like U2 a lot - moreso their 80s/early 90s stuff, but they have some pretty decent recent stuff. Beautiful Day is an excellent song and Vertigo is also quite rockin'. So I don't spout criticism of these particular artists just because I think it's the cool thing to do. There are plenty of sacred cows - Johnny Cash for example. I like lots of his stuff and I think the man himself was pretty damn cool, but I don't think he's this god that can do no wrong, which is how he has been portrayed prior to, and especially since, his death. There were a lot of songs by Johnny Cash which, if they were released by any other country artists, would be considered hillbilly, yokel music.

Advertisement