Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate Sandi Thom!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

must be living under a rock

dont have any idea who or what ye are on about. must see if i can find it somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Mossy Monk wrote:
    must be living under a rock

dont have any idea who or what ye are on about. must see if i can find it somewhere
    If you really want to do it to yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr9rMqkG9h0&search=sandi%20thom

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Dudess wrote:
    Sorry mal1 for being unpleasant earlier, but some people - myself included - get irritated by music that we find terribly bland and boring and the fact that it's on the radio all day and it's so successful and there's no getting away from it etc. You can argue that we don't have to put on the radio, but then again, why should we (the people who hate bland music) have to switch off our radios? I don't think it's bandwagon-jumping, nor hip to criticise these people. I think Keane's new single is ace by the way - but I found their earlier stuff to be very poor. Also, there are constant U2 lambastings on this forum. I like U2 a lot - moreso their 80s/early 90s stuff, but they have some pretty decent recent stuff. Beautiful Day is an excellent song and Vertigo is also quite rockin'. So I don't spout criticism of these particular artists just because I think it's the cool thing to do. There are plenty of sacred cows - Johnny Cash for example. I like lots of his stuff and I think the man himself was pretty damn cool, but I don't think he's this god that can do no wrong, which is how he has been portrayed prior to, and especially since, his death. There were a lot of songs by Johnny Cash which, if they were released by any other country artists, would be considered hillbilly, yokel music.

Fair point. I wouldn't argue against constructive critism but it's seems lately that the in thing to do is to slate some particular bands and artists. Lyric dissecting can also be annoying because it works both ways. U2 is a good example. Has anyone read their lyrics lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mal1 wrote:
    Well i rather not jump on the 'I hate sandi thom' or 'i hate james blunt' bandwagon. Even though it seems like the hip thing to do at the moment. Keane is another band which suffers from this kind of 'drivel'
    Funny you mention Keane. I actually quite like their music but I saw an interview with the guy that produced their first album, he's the guy that produced Dido's first album and he was looking for, and I quote, "Dido in Band form". Apparently Keane were quite rocky and guitar based until the produced softened their sound right down to be more radio friendly. Manufactured?

mal1 wrote:
    U2 is a good example. Has anyone read their lyrics lately?

there was a thread recently with people pissing down on them. do a search for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

BaZmO* wrote:
    Funny you mention Keane. I actually quite like their music but I saw an interview with the guy that produced their first album, he's the guy that produced Dido's first album and he was looking for, and I quote, "Dido in Band form". Apparently Keane were quite rocky and guitar based until the produced softened their sound right down to be more radio friendly. Manufactured?

Keane have one main problem...they are middle class. And that isn't cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Welll it certainly ain't rockin that's for sure!

wow, just listening to it now and it is ****, rubbish, bollocks

video suits the song too. this person will probably be a distant memory in 12 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mal1 wrote:
    Keane have one main problem...they are middle class. And that isn't cool!!

Well that is one thing that seriously irks me - bands or musicians being judged according to what socio-economic group (or something) they belong to. Class-based thinking is seriously, seriously pathetic. I'm middle-class and educated - what a **** I am!!! Your background is an accident of birth. It's not an achievement, and musicians (i.e. Oasis, John Lydon) who think that they are somehow superior because they're working-class are actually major snobs. Bernard Sumner and Peter Hook of New Order are from working-class backgrounds - they don't harp on about it. Ditto Morrissey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Harsh............but true :D

Great article,i really liked this bit
    ""Whatever happened to the heroes?", she warbles, knowing full well she's replaced them. She's the musical antichrist."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

"Oh I wish I was a prawn cracker..."

I wish you were too love.

As Nightwish said further up the thread and it's a view echoed by many, there's a biting irony in the fact that this girl longs for this pre-modern time when everything was so simple, and yet only for the power of teh intarweb (or so the marketing spiel tells us) we'd never have been exposed to her musical genius.
    Like Shakira's track, another song I'm glad has been booted off the playlists at R1, along with Paris to Berlin...funny, three singles in the top 10, two of them in the top 3 and they don't get airplay.

Oh and another vote for Keane's new stuff V their old stuff...interesting story on the dido in band form thing...can't say I'm surprised.

Advertisement